Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2022, 08:44   #16

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'
Re: IN SEARCH OF AWESOME

30 - 39ft, That's a huge size range! For $150k you could buy a brand new 30ft boat. OR you can buy a 20-30 year old upper 30 ft boat that's fully kitted with watermaker, solar, refrigeration, etc. I think the OP needs to narrow down what he wants or maybe buy something less expensive that he intends to sell before the big pond jump. Sell, so he can then get what he really wants. Some people like floating bathtubs that have lots of space but sail like dogs. Other people like fast boats with less inside... Maybe start with something like an old Tartan 37 that you can get for like $30k that has been out fitted for cruising. It won't depreciate. Do a year in the Caribbean, then decide where you want to put $100k+ and sell the old Tartan for almost what you paid.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 08:47   #17

Boat: Looking to buy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Not sure what Marlow has been able to do after buying the hunter brand. But hunters have a bad rap for being cheaply made.

Both Bene and hunter are obviously production brands but I’d put a bit more trust is a Bene.

That being said, both would be fine in the Caribbean and neither would be my choice to cross the pacific, but you have plenty of sailing to do before that leap is made. [emoji6]
Thank you for your reply and input, much appreciated!
Drek4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:02   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
30 - 39ft, That's a huge size range! For $150k you could buy a brand new 30ft boat. OR you can buy a 20-30 year old upper 30 ft boat that's fully kitted with watermaker, solar, refrigeration, etc. I think the OP needs to narrow down what he wants or maybe buy something less expensive that he intends to sell before the big pond jump. Sell, so he can then get what he really wants. Some people like floating bathtubs that have lots of space but sail like dogs. Other people like fast boats with less inside... Maybe start with something like an old Tartan 37 that you can get for like $30k that has been out fitted for cruising. It won't depreciate. Do a year in the Caribbean, then decide where you want to put $100k+ and sell the old Tartan for almost what you paid.
That's seems as a good idea, but I don't want to end up in a situation that I'm spending more time and energy constantly in repairs. But I do now seem to have more an open mind to buying used.
I know 30-39' is a huge amount of sailboats, this is why I put three examples of sailboats that I think would be the proper type I desire.
Thank you.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:02   #19

Boat: Beneteau 38 Nordlund 72, Marquess 55, Jenneau 49

I have a 22 year old Beneteau out of a charter fleet in Mexico. I have had it for 16 Years and it has been great. That being said Catalina 36 is an you price range and so is the older 42. Catalina does an incredible job on supporting all of their models. A friend of mine just bought all sorts of parts for his 1976 Catalina 22 from catalina direct (check it out). When I called Beneteau for some galley faucets and handrail standoffs the couldn't even tell me where to source them Let alone have them. Both Bene an Cat have a fairly flat bottom forward of the keel so sailing into a steep sea you do pound a lot. (True gentlemen don,t sail into the wind anyway) You do need to look t the Horsepower to weight ratio on some of the Catalina's they were a little under powered for their size. For a 36 you would want at least 35 HP and I think some of them came with 25HP. Another one you could look at is the Ericson 38. It was well laid out and a good sailor but once again check the HP. It is also an older boat and they are no longer in business. You can source most of the things directly from the manufacture of the item anyway.

I am another who has experience with the quality issue on Hunter. I would not go that direction. Hope this helps
Valmika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:05   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest Lakes View Post
I'm partial to the beneteau myself. I'm not a fan of the rigs without backstays. I know they haven't had many issues, but they do affect performance somewhat. You should give Catalinas some consideration as well. So long as it's not a used up charter boat, they are comfortable and honest boats.
Thank you for your reply.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:25   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 38.1

Hello Drek,

I've been watching this thread from the start. I think its great you take time and reply to the posters in your thread. One thing that concerns me with your choice with boats is, and I'm not sure, but you where on sailboats in the 70s correct? If that's true that's a while ago. Memories of what you liked and disliked are probably faded by now.

I can only speak for what I've done and what has worked for me. About seven years ago. I quit my job went to Washington state and bought a 30 foot Beneteua first 30. It was close to twenty years old. I didn't know how to sail and asked everyone at the marina to teach me. Finally found someone. Retired navy person! I lived on that boat for the summer and sold it in the fall. Why, because I knew it wasn't the right boat for me, but at the time it sure did seem like it!!

I now have a Beneteau Oceanis 38.1 I bought a little over a year ago. This boat is everything I wanted to a "T" and that Drek = awesome! What I'm hinting at is, don't rule out getting a cheaper boat for a summer and figuring out what will really make you happy. That first Beneteau I had was a $18,000 boat in fairly good shape although it needed new sails badly, but at the time I didn't know that. This second boat I have is $200,000 plus but it took owning the first boat to know what I wanted in the perfect boat for me.

I hope it helps Drek and research, research, and research.

Good luck and I wish you the best Drek!

Sam
Sam Woodbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 09:27   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmika View Post
I have a 22 year old Beneteau out of a charter fleet in Mexico. I have had it for 16 Years and it has been great. That being said Catalina 36 is an you price range and so is the older 42. Catalina does an incredible job on supporting all of their models. A friend of mine just bought all sorts of parts for his 1976 Catalina 22 from catalina direct (check it out). When I called Beneteau for some galley faucets and handrail standoffs the couldn't even tell me where to source them Let alone have them. Both Bene an Cat have a fairly flat bottom forward of the keel so sailing into a steep sea you do pound a lot. (True gentlemen don,t sail into the wind anyway) You do need to look t the Horsepower to weight ratio on some of the Catalina's they were a little under powered for their size. For a 36 you would want at least 35 HP and I think some of them came with 25HP. Another one you could look at is the Ericson 38. It was well laid out and a good sailor but once again check the HP. It is also an older boat and they are no longer in business. You can source most of the things directly from the manufacture of the item anyway.

I am another who has experience with the quality issue on Hunter. I would not go that direction. Hope this helps
Thank you for your reply, your input is very informative. Most are sub 30HP motors, is there a peculiar reason that you prefer having so much power at hand, I will want to limit motoring to a minimum, in my case.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Woodbridge View Post
Hello Drek,

I've been watching this thread from the start. I think its great you take time and reply to the posters in your thread. One thing that concerns me with your choice with boats is, and I'm not sure, but you where on sailboats in the 70s correct? If that's true that's a while ago. Memories of what you liked and disliked are probably faded by now.

I can only speak for what I've done and what has worked for me. About seven years ago. I quit my job went to Washington state and bought a 30 foot Beneteua first 30. It was close to twenty years old. I didn't know how to sail and asked everyone at the marina to teach me. Finally found someone. Retired navy person! I lived on that boat for the summer and sold it in the fall. Why, because I knew it wasn't the right boat for me, but at the time it sure did seem like it!!

I now have a Beneteau Oceanis 38.1 I bought a little over a year ago. This boat is everything I wanted to a "T" and that Drek = awesome! What I'm hinting at is, don't rule out getting a cheaper boat for a summer and figuring out what will really make you happy. That first Beneteau I had was a $18,000 boat in fairly good shape although it needed new sails badly, but at the time I didn't know that. This second boat I have is $200,000 plus but it took owning the first boat to know what I wanted in the perfect boat for me.

I hope it helps Drek and research, research, and research.

Good luck and I wish you the best Drek!

Sam
Well thank you very much Sam. Your input is very informative, much appreciated.
To clear things up, it was in the late 80s and 90s that I enjoyed the sea because I lived in the Halifax area, thus my limited experience of sailboats, mostly daily sailers. Yes I do try to research as much as I can, but most knowledge comes from experience, something I lack in this area, this is why I turn to generous persons like you to enlighten me with your wisdom and knowledge.
Old 10-04-2022, 10:32   #24
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
Hello everyone, I just thought I would ask some advice from people who own or have more knowledge about these sailboats than I do to help me make a wise decision. First off, I only sailed some sub 20’ day sailers and on one occasion a vintage Ericson 25’ from the mid 70s. I was in the navy for some years in my youth and have more than once weathered storms in the north Atlantic and journeyed also in the Caribbean ocean on a destroyer. I had the chance of going on several types of motorboats also.

Now that I’m approaching my retirement, nostalgia of the sea seems to creep back more and more in my memory, so I’m searching for a 30’ to 39’ sailboat to fully enjoy my retirement. I want to choose this particular size sailboat because I feel comfortable handling a vessel of this size, larger than this is outside my comfort zone and smaller than this, is a little cramped for more than day sailing, also on the budget side, this makes more sense. I will mostly sail the Caribbean for the first year or so, with my wife, so solo or duo sailing for the most part, once I gain enough experience, I was thinking of navigating through the Panama canal and do the west coast of central America before heading to asia through oceania.

On paper, the following sailboats seem to be the proper choice for me from a layout perspective and what I read about them. I will be 80% of the time anchored and 20% of the time sailing, so a good layout is needed.

Furling setup will be a must and my budget is between $100K-$150k, because must to also add electronics, dingy and water maker. I must have good headroom since I’m 6’3”.

Capacity to handle rough seas and during passage would be nice to know also.

MARLOW-HUNTER 33
Pros: Layout, Cockpit, Saloon, Kitchen, Storage, Headroom, Berths, Motoring range, Price
Cons: Shower/head

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/mid-si...gallery/page/1

MARLOW-HUNTER 31
Pros: Shower/head, Layout, Price
Cons: Cockpit, Kitchen, Storage, Headroom

https://www.marlow-hunter.com/mid-si...gallery/page/1

BENETEAU 361
Pros: Layout, Saloon, Kitchen, Storage, Shower/head
Cons: Older, Price

https://ca.boats.com/sailing-boats/2...u-361-8192470/

Of course I am open to any other suggestion you might have, if the sailboat is similar to those above.

Thank you in advance for your knowledge and assistance.

P.S. The links are only for informative purposes.
Your navy experience weathering Atlantic storms gave you some insight but on a yacht the affect is a bit more dramatic.

I would not consider the boats you included to be favored for your long range goals. That means starting with more reasonable expectations or searching for a more robust boat more fitting to your stated goals. I also noted that your listed pros and cons fall into an amenity venue and don't mention any actual sailing criteria. For starters I suggest you look up these boats on saildata.com and compare their ratios: SA/Disp, Bal./Disp, etc. There is an explanation button to click on to understand what they mean. Now you will have an understanding of how they will perform comparatively and why I don't think they are appropriate for your goals.

However, these ratios don't cover the myriad of other factors in selecting the proper boat for your planned voyage and lifestyle. There are options for almost every sailboat feature, i.e. saildrive, direct drive, v-drive; in-mast furling, in-boom furling, mast slides; etc. You need to decide what is not acceptable and what is acceptable. More learning, reading, research, and actually visiting sailboats for sale will get you there eventually if you want to do it right. While any boat can sail any body of water in the right conditions, the expected weather and sea conditions are what should drive your selection. Priority should be given to hull, sails, rigging, keel, rudder, and engine drive.

Sailing and boat ownership are two different sides of the same coin. No matter what boat you buy (most likely used) there will be things you don't like but no boat is perfect...all boats require some TRADEOFFS! Part of boat ownership enjoyment is in making it yours. You may be able to narrow the field of selection down initially via the Internet but you have to visit many boats to really define what is acceptable to you and your wife; make the effort. You can narrow that field by shopping for boats that meet your Awesome Boat criteria ratios rather than pretty manufacturer brochure photos...think outside the cabin.

There are many, many boats out there for sale. Take your time and make the right choice and avoid having to do it a second time because you didn't do your homework or were forced to compromise/revise your goals. My boat search & selection took five years.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 10:48   #25

Check out the
“OceanCruisingClub” website
There are always a few members that are
either selling up or moving on to other boats.
Here you will find boats that have been
ocean tested and some fairly well kitted out
Fair Winds
Cheers
Neil
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:30   #26

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

You have a list of good boats.
You might add the Jeanneau 379, 389 to your list. The 389 2 Cabin has better access to the stowage area behind the washroom and under the cockpit seat. You’ll need stowage area just for the sail inventory you’ll need for your plan along with a spare of everything. You can stuff a deflated Dinghy down there it’s just nuts to get out.

Budget or deduct off offer
New rigging
Drive repairs
Throughhulls
Just to get insurance.

Brokers care about their reputation otherwise it’s buyer beware.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 12:31   #27
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drek4 View Post
Thank you in advance for your knowledge and assistance.
Assuming all are in the same condition, get the one that talks to your heart best.

If they all talk to your heart the same, get the one in best condition.

BTW - if you want a great boat to cruise and live on in that size range chase down a Hunter 356!
Old 10-04-2022, 13:07   #28
Marine Service Provider

The Poster seems to value comfort items first. He wants to cruise.

I have a boat built in 1969 which is of solid glass layup to the main deck (no synthetic or balsa core in the hull), relatively short (42') single-spreader aluminum mast, oversized standing rigging, skeg rudder, only five thru-hulls. She is generally built like a tank.

Those are my priorities when going to sea. I'll add as many of the comfort items I have space and weight for.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 13:29   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJH View Post
Your navy experience weathering Atlantic storms gave you some insight but on a yacht the affect is a bit more dramatic.

I would not consider the boats you included to be favored for your long range goals. That means starting with more reasonable expectations or searching for a more robust boat more fitting to your stated goals. I also noted that your listed pros and cons fall into an amenity venue and don't mention any actual sailing criteria. For starters I suggest you look up these boats on saildata.com and compare their ratios: SA/Disp, Bal./Disp, etc. There is an explanation button to click on to understand what they mean. Now you will have an understanding of how they will perform comparatively and why I don't think they are appropriate for your goals.

However, these ratios don't cover the myriad of other factors in selecting the proper boat for your planned voyage and lifestyle. There are options for almost every sailboat feature, i.e. saildrive, direct drive, v-drive; in-mast furling, in-boom furling, mast slides; etc. You need to decide what is not acceptable and what is acceptable. More learning, reading, research, and actually visiting sailboats for sale will get you there eventually if you want to do it right. While any boat can sail any body of water in the right conditions, the expected weather and sea conditions are what should drive your selection. Priority should be given to hull, sails, rigging, keel, rudder, and engine drive.

Sailing and boat ownership are two different sides of the same coin. No matter what boat you buy (most likely used) there will be things you don't like but no boat is perfect...all boats require some TRADEOFFS! Part of boat ownership enjoyment is in making it yours. You may be able to narrow the field of selection down initially via the Internet but you have to visit many boats to really define what is acceptable to you and your wife; make the effort. You can narrow that field by shopping for boats that meet your Awesome Boat criteria ratios rather than pretty manufacturer brochure photos...think outside the cabin.

There are many, many boats out there for sale. Take your time and make the right choice and avoid having to do it a second time because you didn't do your homework or were forced to compromise/revise your goals. My boat search & selection took five years.

Good Luck.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
Thank you very much for the informative and elaborate reply. I do know what I want about the cabin layout, water/gas tank capacities, cockpit, etc. You are correct on saying that for the rigging, sea worthiness and capacity of adequately and comfortably navigating in all conditions, I do lack the knowledge of what would be the best sailboat. So admitting and knowing this, I have come here in these forums to obtain more information for that when I have chosen the model(s) of sailboat(s) I can thus have a more narrow choice to search for, go see and maybe even charter, so that the result of my purchase will be a successful one, instead of a failure.
My actual residence is not in an area that a whole lot of choices are available, so it will help me greatly to narrow down the potential prospects.
Old 10-04-2022, 13:31   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Go View Post
Check out the
“OceanCruisingClub” website
There are always a few members that are
either selling up or moving on to other boats.
Here you will find boats that have been
ocean tested and some fairly well kitted out
Fair Winds
Cheers
Neil
Thank you very much for pointing me to this website, I will check that out.

Tags
arc