Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2021, 14:38   #31

Boat: Cal 2-27
Re: In Production 22 - 25 ft sailboats...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexi22 View Post
I think it's time for me to give the used boats a chance. I hate buying used, but sailing world has different unwritten laws on the matter obviously. I'll conclude this post as well in this case.
I wonder if you're equating "used" with "old." If I were to recommend that you consider a used boat, it wouldn't be because I think you should look at old boats, but because I think you should consider any sound and safe boat that meets your needs. And including used boats in your search will GREATLY increase the number of candidates.

Buying a boat is like buying a house in some ways: you can buy a "used" house that has been well maintained and perhaps even improved from its original state, and you can also buy a new house that was poorly constructed or lacking features that you need because the builder has preferences that are not aligned with your preferences.

Based on what I've read from you, it sounds like you'll have no trouble quickly filtering out the unsuitable used boats, but you're also likely to find some real gems that have been maintained, and perhaps improved, by conscientious sailors.
Scratchee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2021, 14:03   #32

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

Hi:

I have not looked recently, but I believe the Rhodes 22 is still available new. Something like $US60K on a trailer IIRC.

You would be able to buy a ~22 foot boat on a trailer for free to $5000 and replace everything but the hull for no more than $US15,000 plus sweat equity, and have as good or better than new boat for 1/3 to 1/2 the money. Probably another $US10K as something on the hull would not need replacement. As long as you can ignore cosmetics because a 40 year old hull is going to look like a 40 year old hull.

For example I picked up my Tanzer 22 on a trailer for $3500 (all funds here Canadian)
It now has new seacocks, rudder, stern rail, electrical panel and wiring, lights, GPS, VHF, alcohol stove, bimini, solar arch, solar panel, charge controller, house battery, 3 headsails, headsail bags, two anchor rollers, new anchor and rode, solent stay, various new cleats, tiller pilot, depth sounder, porta potti, assorted storage improvements, hand pump, deck top jib tracks, traveler, boom vang, midship cleats, stern ladder, coax and antenna, bilge pumps. All the above is about $11,000 over 6 or 7 seasons. Plus trailer axle, brakes, wheels, hydraulic actuator, lighting for another $2000. About the only things left to do are the cushions and a main sail. Some parts of this boat are better than new, the backing plates under all the high load fittings and sealing of through holes with epoxy for one, and proper seacocks for another. Cosmetics look like crap though.
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:11   #33

Quote:
Still searching for a first sailboat. A calm, easy to sail one...
I wanted to buy a 27ft one, but they all seem like racers nowadays. Now, I'm researching for shorter ones...
- 22 - 25 ft
- outboard engine.
- fin or bulb keel. No centerboards or retractables
- easy to maintain, simple sails and such, no racing gear.
- tiller rudder
- preferably better heads than portapotties, but comprimising will have to happen, looks like.
- brand new.
Here're my findings so far,
Compac 23
Capri 22
Precision 23
TY
Look at Catalina.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 07:30   #34

Boat: Franchini 47L

Catalina 27. Nice boats, ez to sail, crew, park.
KetchJohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 08:34   #35

Boat: Beneteau First 405 40ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by KetchJohnB View Post
Catalina 27. Nice boats, ez to sail, crew, park.

+1 here. Our first boat was a Catalina 27. Nice starter that also sleep some folks for overnight. Had 10HP outboard and porta pottie so wonderfully basic and fun to sail.
Toujours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:54   #36

Boat: Dufour

If you can get an etap upto 28ft post 82 you cant go wrong foam cpmpressed hulls (little or no condensation warm) unsinkable 1.6 knockdown they spring right back up if you get it wrong easy to sail little wind needed . I have a 1982 26ft love it.
shauncagiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 09:56   #37
cruiser

Thanx folks,
I've actually decided to go with a used 27 - 30 ft sailboat, such as Hunter 27, Catalina 27 / 28 / 30, and - well, you know the usual suspects...
Lexi22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:01   #38

Quote:
Thanx folks,
I've actually decided to go with a used 27 - 30 ft sailboat, such as Hunter 27, Catalina 27 / 28 / 30, and - well, you know the usual suspects...
I should put you in touch with this broker I contacted once and who now won't leave me alone. He keeps sending me boats just like the ones you're looking for even though I keep telling him they're not the boats I'm looking for.
Lance Monotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:25   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Monotone View Post
I should put you in touch with this broker I contacted once and who now won't leave me alone. He keeps sending me boats just like the ones you're looking for even though I keep telling him they're not the boats I'm looking for.
I've just moved to the West Coast; this summer will be all about work, work, work, so no brokers pls!?

Yeah, the listed boats won't work for you as you wanna live on board. I guess you're aiming something longer than 35 ft at least.

Don't forget to have fun on your way to your ultimate goal, man. Just start the channel with what you already have; that might add a few more 10k-s to your budget; who knows...
Old 08-02-2021, 10:25   #40

Boat: Catalina 28

Quote:
Thanx folks,
Of those choices, I think (and I am definitely biased because I went through this same process) the Catalina 28 is the best choice. They will be newer and likely in better shape than both the 27 and the 30. And I think they are just a better boat than the 27: more comfortable, better sailer, more up to date design (especially the C28 MkII). The latest model of the 30 is terrific too (bigger diesel, sugar scoop stern), but even those will be older. That being said, there are more 27's and 30's likely on the market and will be less expensive.
hukilaumike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 10:31   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hukilaumike View Post
Of those choices, Catalina 28 is the best choice (especially the C28 MkII).
I agree. C28 caught my attention while I was studying the ratios, a solid boat.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:35   #42

Quote:
I've just moved to the West Coast; this summer will be all about work, work, work, so no brokers pls!?

Yeah, the listed boats won't work for you as you wanna live on board. I guess you're aiming something longer than 35 ft at least.

Don't forget to have fun on your way to your ultimate goal, man. Just start the channel with what you already have; that might add a few more 10k-s to your budget; who knows...
Aight, I won't sic him on you but now I have to find someone else. The length is okay, I'm looking for something between 27 and 31ish, but I need a long keel or skeg-hung rudder and he keeps sending me fin and spade, even though I've told him 3 times.

I'm all about the fun. Good luck on your works. I hope you save up quickly, find your boat and splash very soon.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:04   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Aight, I won't sic him on you but now I have to find someone else. The length is okay, I'm looking for something between 27 and 31ish, but I need a long keel or skeg-hung rudder and he keeps sending me fin and spade, even though I've told him 3 times.

I'm all about the fun. Good luck on your works. I hope you save up quickly, find your boat and splash very soon.
Yeah, forward him to TP; TP will make that broker change career!?
No $ worries since the used boat decision, such a relief. I owe it to TP, Jim, Thomm,and a few other folks here; they saved me from making a huge mistake.
I'd hate to trigger a new wave of discussion, but try to open your mind to fin keels at least; doing that will double your list. As far as I know the bottom two are both fin keels; they sail greatly.
https://youtu.be/28TAdDu5L6U
https://youtu.be/VxthF9o9k0Y
Old 08-02-2021, 11:25   #44

Quote:
Yeah, forward him to TP; TP will make that broker change career!?
No $ worries since the used boat decision, such a relief. I owe it to TP, Jim, and a few other folks here; they saved me from making a huge mistake.
I'd hate to trigger a new wave of discussion, but try to open your mind to fin keels at least; doing that will double your list. As far as I know the bottom two are both fin keels; they sail greatly.
https://youtu.be/28TAdDu5L6U
https://youtu.be/VxthF9o9k0Y
I'm pretty sure I'm on some automated list from hell BUT if anyone wants a broker to send you 5 boats you didn't ask for every single day, please let me know.

I think used is definitely the way to go unless you just has to have the latest and greatest. Save money upgrade with time. New boats are so expensive.

As for the full keel question, I'll be ranging around coral reefs and I'm hoping to make an ocean passage someday. From everything I've read, a full keel is the safest and most comfortable for those uses. It does suck because if not for that requirement, my choices would increase exponentially but I don't want to have to trade my boat if I decide to cross. And, if I'm being honest (first time ever), I'm partial to the lines of those old heavy boats.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:57   #45
cruiser

Quote:
As for the full keel question, I'll be ranging around coral reefs and I'm hoping to make an ocean passage someday. From everything I've read, a full keel is the safest and most comfortable for those uses. It does suck because if not for that requirement, my choices would increase exponentially but I don't want to have to trade my boat if I decide to cross. And, if I'm being honest (first time ever), I'm partial to the lines of those old heavy boats.
When you're ready to make a passage, I think you'll be a whole new person. I'd just add the fin keel options on the list for now; at least, study the fin keel boats as well, you can still buy a full keel at the end of the day.

Tags
boat, sail, sailboat