Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2022, 15:56   #16

Re: In mast furling masts versus classical masts. Discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Little out of date -- most furling mains have some roach nowadays, which is straightforward with vertical battens. See for example:

Attachment 257268

That one even has a carbon furling mast. Very good shape and very good performance; that's the new HR50 https://www.hallberg-rassy.com/yacht...lberg-rassy-50

As to "MTBF 3000 miles" -- not with anyone I know. I've done about 50,000 miles in mine and have had a grand total of three jams -- one really bad one the first year when I didn't know what I was doing, and thereafter two minor jams easily cleared from the cockpit in 5-10 minutes, and both operator error. That's pretty typical once you know how to use the system, assuming you start out with a good system like Selden (some older systems did not work well). This is not greater MTBF than what I experienced with slab reefing systems.

The manual furling systems with endless line operation are pretty bulletproof. Jamming is practically non-existent with laminate sails and reasonable operator competence. Hydraulic and electric furling systems are more troublesome in my experience.

I'm not selling in-mast furling -- and I would prefer slab reefing for many use cases. But in-mast furling does not suck at all provided you maintain and use it properly.

More shots of modern in-mast furling mains:

Attachment 257269

Attachment 257270

A lot of people's prejudices about in-mast furling are based on experiences from the 90's with older systems and baggy dacron sails without battens and with hollow leech. Modern systems used with laminate sails and vertical battens are just totally different, both in terms of performance, and also in reliability.
I wouldn't be very happy with that sail shape for racing.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 16:20   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord

My first keelboat, a Vertue built in 1960, had 'around the boom ' furling. Bronze gearing at the base of the boom which I must admit I never used.
A Moody my cousin once owned - seen here somewhere on the IoW one December in the early 80's - also had around the boom' furling so it would appear to have been 'in vogue' for some time.

The Moody is a 36CC circa 1980, a bit 'big in the bum' for my refined taste
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img206.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	426.6 KB
ID:	257275  
Old 06-05-2022, 16:21   #18

I really enjoyed in mast furling when the radar shows 6-12 squalls all waiting to kick my butt (not unusual once south of the doldrums.)

I did get rid of my vertical battened main for a non battened main..much more problem free when off shore...adding my code zero adds much more to a cruiser than a bit of roach in my opinion.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, classic, furling, mast