Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2019, 08:19   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 440
In Mast furler

I have a question about in mast reefing. 2018 Selden Furling mast. Is there a way to haul out the main sail to a desired reef point without the whole entire sail having to come out and then pulling it back into the position you require? The mast does have a ratchet switch but needs to be in the open/on position to allow the sail to come out.
Attachment 193643 this is the best photo I have. I know it’s not great
Mooseboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 14:17   #2

Re: In Mast furler

Just stop the reefing line paying out when you're getting close to the amount of sail area you want. A right angle relative to the line stopper is usually enough, then close the stopper and adjust the outhaul.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:40   #3

Thanks for your reply. But it’s not that simple. The ratcheted outhaul must be put in the free position to pull the sail out. When you begin to pull the sail out in the slightest bit of wind the whole entire sail un-furls. If we keep the outhaul in the ratcheted position the sail will not come out at all.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:53   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseboat View Post
Thanks for your reply. But it’s not that simple. The ratcheted outhaul must be put in the free position to pull the sail out. When you begin to pull the sail out in the slightest bit of wind the whole entire sail un-furls. If we keep the outhaul in the ratcheted position the sail will not come out at all.

Just control the furler with the furling line as the sail comes out. Keep tension on the drum by pulling on BOTH ends of the endless furling lines, and roll it out until you have the desired amount of sail out. Then close both jammers and put a bit of tension on one end of the furling to be sure that it doesn't get loose. It's good practice to control and work the furling line anyway when you're bringing the sail out. Unfortunately you then need two people -- one to operate the furling line and the other to work the outhaul.

You never use the ratchet in ordinary conditions, so long as the furling line is in use. The ratchet is intended for locking off the sail when you're off the boat, and for furling in with a winch handle in case the furling line breaks. You might theoretically want to use it in a big storm to be doubly sure that your deeply reefed main doesn't get loose, but I've never done that, in 10 years of sailing in rough conditions.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 15:26   #5

Thanks I’ll give it a shot next time we get underway.
Really appreciate your help 👍👋
Old 12-06-2019, 00:03   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseboat View Post
Thanks I’ll give it a shot next time we get underway.
Really appreciate your help 👍👋

No problem.

I have gradually evolved a technique over 10 years of using this system, to not pull the sail out with the outhaul, but roll it out with the furler, just taking up the slack with the outhaul. This gives more control and avoids the tendency of the sail to come out two layers at a time, which creates a risk of jamming.

It's hard to do like this, or at least slow to do like this, single handed. Ideally you want one person gently pulling on the outhaul to keep the slack out of it, while you roll the furler.

YMMV -- you should experiment yourself until you have a technique that works well on your boat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 12-06-2019, 08:04   #7

Boat: Island Packet 349

The above is counterintuitive. One would think that pushing the sail out rather than pulling it is more conductive to jamming.
I sailed a boat with this system once; had to reef when the wind rapidly increased, and the furling line was slipping without effect. Did not have time to tinker, grabbed the winch handle, and went to the mast. Was not in the mood that time to investigate and the wind died soon on Lake Michigan, so it has not happened again.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:25   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
The above is counterintuitive. One would think that pushing the sail out rather than pulling it is more conductive to jamming.
I sailed a boat with this system once; had to reef when the wind rapidly increased, and the furling line was slipping without effect. Did not have time to tinker, grabbed the winch handle, and went to the mast. Was not in the mood that time to investigate and the wind died soon on Lake Michigan, so it has not happened again.

Counterintuitive, and YMMV, so everyone should do his own experimentation.

On my boat, with my sails, if you just pull the sail out with the outhaul, the outer layer of the roll tends to stick a little to the next layer in, so that two layers are pulled through at once. This can cause a jam. So in my particular case it works better if you're rotating the furler with the furling line while at the same time lightly pulling the slack out with the outhaul. The added bonus is that this technique solves the problem of the OP -- you have control over the furler at all times so the sail doesn't just roll all out by itself, in case you want to stop at some reef position or another.
Walt Whitman

Tags
mast, furler