Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2016, 09:22   #16

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: Importing a boat from U.S. to Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore74 View Post
Thanks! I'm lucky in BC so it's only PST that I pay. However I called the CGov hotline and a woman said I had to pay 12% PST as a boat is not considered "goods/services" but after doing further research I think she was wrong and I only have to pay 7% which would be a huge bonus.

Some info for any other boaters importing into BC: http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/pst_108.pdf

"If you bring a boat into BC from outside Canada, you must pay PST at the rate of 7% on the taxable value of the boat. The taxable value is the value of the boat as determined under the
Excise Tax Act (Canada)."
When we imported into Ontario we had to pay both PST and GST. Can't see why BC would be any different, but hope you're right. And good point about non-North American (NAFTA) boats Sinbad51. If the boat was built outside of NA it may be subject to an additional 9% import duty.

Importing is really no more difficult than importing any good from the US. Just declare it at the border, which in this case is normal clearing-in custom office. But if the broker does the de-documenting in the US and the registering here in Canada, it's probably a service well worth paying for.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:22   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacapaisland42 View Post
Dead easy, just remember to get your "out of country for X days" allowance.
Bill
Thanks Bill, I think sailboats are duty free no? If that's what you're referring to.
Offshore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:30   #18

Boat: Catalina

I imported a sailboat from Seattle to Nanaimo about 6 years ago. Had to pay the 12% HST. I paid a title company $500 to do the export papers with the
American Coast Guard, and tax exemptions provided I removed the boat from Washington State within 30 days. They also acted as a broker, and held the funds in trust during the purchase.
The actual import went smoothly. But they asked me if I was aware
of everything on the boat. I said yes, but had not really been through every
corner of the boat. There might have been someone's forgotten stash on board that I was unaware of. But the Canadian Customs lady did not stay on
board for long as she was getting sea sick while the boat was tided to the wharf. Glassy calm. They did find a plant on the counter which I had forgotten to deep six. They got all excited and called in the Hasmet removal team to dispose of it.
To avoid duty, the boat had to be made in North America. Which it was.
Al
atkinsoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:32   #19

Also for the record this boat was made/built in the US. So if all is correct, and BC residents only pay 7% PST on imports of used boats from the US. I might do what someone suggested earlier and let someone else do the paperwork for a smooth transaction/transition. Would be sailing it north across the border near the Georgia Straight where I would declare it, then call and pay CRA who apparently comes to you. Anyway still putting all the pieces together in the event it happens, thanks for all the tips!
Old 12-06-2016, 09:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by atkinsoa View Post
I imported a sailboat from Seattle to Nanaimo about 6 years ago. Had to pay the 12% HST. I paid a title company $500 to do the export papers with the
American Coast Guard, and tax exemptions provided I removed the boat from Washington State within 30 days. They also acted as a broker, and held the funds in trust during the purchase.
Thanks Al, I might triple check the PST/HST, crossing my fingers it's only 7% now based on this document: http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/pst_108.pdf
Old 12-06-2016, 10:18   #21

Boat: X Yacht, 1 ton, 40'
Send a message via Skype™ to grjfield

I imported a Danish sailboat from WA. US into BC Canada about 3 years ago. Only surprise was how easy it was. Just declared it upon entry. Canada Border sent a few guys to inspect it. I had to wait about an hour for them to show up and another hour for the inspection. Just have you papers in order (bill of sale) and you should be ok.
(Much less hassle than importing a car!)
Good luck
grjfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:33   #22

I keep hearing "bill of sale." I bought my boat 18 years ago, private sale. I have complete California title and DMV registration papers. Shouldn't that be enough?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:45   #23

Yes if you have title and reg papers that should be enough. (no one keeps receipts 18 years.) I would have a few 'comparable boats' researched and ready to show the border guys to justify why you have valued as you have. If your diesel is getting old, or your sails are dur for replacement...drop the value with those as justification ...To save tax..otherwise they may assign a value that you feel is high. I found CBSA were pretty reasonable when valuing my sailboat.
In the same spirit..if you plan any major upgrades (sails, equipment), wait until after you import and do them in Canada...otherwise you'll be taxed on that as well.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:08   #24

We just bought one in Washington and imported to BC last year. The various agency's weren't very good at making the process clear but it's not actually that difficult. Don't pay someone do it for you! That would be a waste of money. PM me if you like, I'd be happy to help with the parts I remember!
tmoandj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:15   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

From experience I strongly suggest you obtain a business GST number and use a custom broker who knows what they are doing. Joe Bailey at White and White in Mississauga is first class. He will do all the paper work and you can sail her back pre cleared. As a business GST you will pay only the GST, 5 percent. Register the boat as a named ship.

You get a blue book and the Ship imported. Pay the tax requested which in all likelihood is only the GST. The ship department does not have a formal reporting agreement with the Province. Need I say more. Joe might charge 300.00 could save you a lot of money and even more hassle.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:27   #26

I agree. Its not worth paying someone to do something so straightforward.
Old 12-06-2016, 12:51   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore74 View Post
Thanks Al, I might triple check the PST/HST, crossing my fingers it's only 7% now based on this document: http://www.sbr.gov.bc.ca/documents_l...ns/pst_108.pdf
That link is Province of B.C., not federal. The GST is federal. Customs is federal. You will pay both 7% PST and 5% GST importing a boat to B.C.

Any yes it is simple, no reason to pay anyone to do it for you.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 13:17   #28

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

I guess you are not reading between the lines.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 13:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
That link is Province of B.C., not federal. The GST is federal. Customs is federal. You will pay both 7% PST and 5% GST importing a boat to B.C.

Any yes it is simple, no reason to pay anyone to do it for you.
That makes sense now, I knew when I was speaking with someone in a government office they're by the book. Thanks for clarifying.
Old 12-06-2016, 13:39   #30

Hi offshore 74, could I ask who you are looking at for trucking your boat up to BC, we are looking at doing the same thing I just wish the dollar would hurry and become more comparable.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Chriscook is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Canada, import