Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2023, 20:05   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 43 LRMS
Question I'm tall help me choose the right boat :)

Hello all,

I know this question has been asked a few times already but I wanted to get some updated opinions on what monohull will be right for me with the following conditions.

Im in the market for a cruiser liveaboard that I'll hopefully use for many years to come and put some decent nm on it. The issue I'm having after scouring yacht world and alike is Headroom I've been around a couple yachts and it's just not something I'm willing to compromise on. I'm 6'5 in height so anything that can accomodate this whilst in the galley or cabin I'll seriously consider. The following are my current criteria;

Headroom in galley and cabin 6'5 or higher
Length of vessel 35-41ft any larger or smaller I don't think I'll be comfortable sailing or living in
Budget is around $50,000 - $65,000 Aus dollars, may consider going higher for the right yacht
Centre cockpit would be ideal but not a make or break for me
Cruiser design yacht

Any suggestions for designs or models will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Whereznorth
Whereznorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 20:39   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: I'm tall help me choose the right boat :)

I assume you're in Australia, so this probably won't help, but the first boat I owned was a Grampian 34; a centre cockpit ketch. It had 7' of headroom in the main salon, and at least 6'6" in the forward and aft. They only made about 50 of them, and they're pretty old now. But they'd certainly be within your budget.
Old 05-03-2023, 20:58   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

An old Columbia 43 is an example of one that has lots of room. I don't know how many of them made it over your way though. Is an older boat ok? And as you probably know, it's not just headroom but bunk lengths too to check for.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/columbia-43

Also there are a number of boats that came in pilot house versions that could be good candidates.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 22:35   #4

Boat: Volkscruiser

Whereznorth I have no idea how she sails or even if she has head room but this 43 foot Cheoy Lee Motor sailor matches your budget and judging by the topsides should be close to 6' plus headroom.
Cheers

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...9-9d82cc39f243
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 00:44   #5

Thanks everyone for the prompt replies. I’ve noted all suggestions and the search begins. I have stumbled across this roberts 36 and I wanted to get an opinion on it from another set of eyes https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...erts-36/289162 .

I’m aware they have issues with quality due to various builders, but it seems like this one has had some time spent on it.

Don, I’m hoping to keep in the 80’s and earlier for age.
Old 06-03-2023, 01:11   #6

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

I have sent you a pm.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:03   #7

Boat: Volkscruiser

Whereznorth that Roberts looks ok. What's with the engine painted Volvo green and the alternator bracket? Has it been given a Dulux rebuild? 70hp is twice the power you really need. At least you can go wakeboarding behind her when motoring flat out.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:04   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I'm tall help me choose the right boat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whereznorth View Post
Thanks everyone for the prompt replies. I’ve noted all suggestions and the search begins. I have stumbled across this roberts 36 and I wanted to get an opinion on it from another set of eyes https://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats...erts-36/289162 .

I’m aware they have issues with quality due to various builders, but it seems like this one has had some time spent on it.

Don, I’m hoping to keep in the 80’s and earlier for age.
Looks good to me..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 03:19   #9

Boat: Endeavour 32

Quote:
Hello all,

I know this question has been asked a few times already but I wanted to get some updated opinions on what monohull will be right for me with the following conditions.

Length of vessel 35-41ft any larger or smaller I don't think I'll be comfortable sailing or living in
Budget is around $50,000 - $65,000 Aus dollars, may consider going higher for the right yacht
Cruiser design yacht

Thanks,

Whereznorth
A little out of your specs, but Endeavour / Irwin 32
With over 600 hulls made there has to be a few in Australia. I’m 6’ and have 3-5” of head room from the companionway to the vberth. The bunk lengths may be a bigger problem for good sleep. Both settes and the 1/4 are right at 6’. You should be able to stretch out in the vberth tho.

Cheers
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:37   #10

Quote:
Hello all,

Im in the market for a cruiser liveaboard that I'll hopefully use for many years to come and put some decent nm on it. The issue I'm having after scouring yacht world and alike is Headroom I've been around a couple yachts and it's just not something I'm willing to compromise on. I'm 6'5 in height so anything that can accomodate this whilst in the galley or cabin I'll seriously consider. The following are my current criteria;

Cruiser design yacht

Thanks,

Whereznorth
Hey I.m 6'6" and own a CSY 33 with inches to spare !
c.K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:48   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51

Might be out of size price range but gulfstar 47s have around 6 ft 6 in headroom.
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 23:25   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by c.K. View Post
Hey I.m 6'6" and own a CSY 33 with inches to spare !
C.K, thanks for the suggestion, as an owner what's your thoughts on the following https://moreboats.com/boats/csy/33/467588 ?
Old 07-03-2023, 09:30   #13

Boat: Hunter 36

In general, the new-ish Hanse boats have enormous headroom.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 14:53   #14

Boat: Southcoast 36

Ours is a Southcoast 36. Very similar to the Roberts you mentioned.

This was my 2c worth in another thread here:

https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...om-219512.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winf View Post
Hiya

At 6'5" I can give you my take.

I won't comment on suitable designs as I can only draw on our first and only boat so far which is 36'.

Headroom was a big issue for me (I thought) when we were looking to buy and very few boats if any we looked at that we could afford had it. I had an attitude of "it's full headroom or its nothing." I kind of gave up focus on that because of lack of availability.

I don't get full headroom throughout ours but I mostly have it down the centreline when below.

We are a centre cockpit sloop with a solid "dodger" (not sure if that is correct nautical term but it is covered and enclosed on 3 sides) and to be honest I now consider that and full headroom when lying in the main bunk to be a higher priority than full standing headroom.

We add a canvas cover to the dodger so the cockpit area is fully covered and the area has such good shelter from the weather we spend a lot of our time there, both day and night. The canvas comes down when sailing but the dodger on its own keeps the wind out and any spray. The helm position isn't covered but the majority of time when under way we are on auto or wind vane and can tuck up in the front of the cockpit under full cover.

We are coastal cruisers only and are in warm climates so that may change for other situations. When cruising we generally day sail and anchor at night but have done up to 4 day passages. We share galley duties - I don't get full headroom when in the galley but it's close. We use the bbq outside a lot for meals.

In the head/shower, we sit for both showering and toilet.

When kicking back in the salon reading or whatever, again sitting for the majority of time.

I wouldn't want to be really hunched over but my head touching the ceiling or having to bend here and there hasn't been a biggie for me.

I am now much more aware of where we spend actual time when aboard and I suspect if I could work out a percentage, most of it would be sitting or laying down. If ever we buy another, the comfort of those spaces would be higher up my list of priorities than standing headroom.

We kind of knew our boat was ours when we first checked it out - and strangely it was not at all like what I had in my mind as to what I thought I wanted.

Admittedly, my admiral is a shorty so can appreciate the opposite consideration on your part.

Enjoy the journey.

Winf
Winf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 16:59   #15

Boat: Mason 43 cutter

6' 10" + or - headroom in the Mason 43 through out.
Rod Headlee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat