Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2021, 22:15   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: If skeg damaged could you just removed it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infoanalysis View Post
Oh I did not know marine architects are so fussy with the balancing of the design rudder/skeg with the keel. I thought it was just "if it looks good build it." There must have been a lot of trial and error hulls before they figured out designs that work unless they have cad cam as today or very deep into the maths and geometry. My father used to talk a lot about The Webb Institute near where I grew up. They did all that stuff he said and it was a very elite group of people who were admitted.

Fussy?

Strange way of describing a lifetime of study and learning.

The entire evolution of boats from when the first idiot drifted out to sea on a log was trial and error.

The thing is, it produced the boats we sail today and chopping bits off them is unlikely to be a happy outcome.

Whatever the perceived failings of Mr Robert’s designs, I’m yet to meet an “improved” version (and my word I’ve met a few) that wasn’t a complete dog.