Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 03:39   #1

Boat: Oceanis 40
If I run out of fuel, what do I need to do?

Hi there,

If I ran my engine to a point that it stopped due to running out of fuel, would I need to prime or bleed anything to get it going again (after topping up with my emergency jerry can reserve of 25l).

The engine is a Yanmar 3JH4E on a Beneteau Oceanis 40

Thank you.
AFKASAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:50   #2

Boat: Angus Primrose One design 45ft And Duncanson 34 Mk2
Re: If I run out of fuel, what do I need to do?

You just dont run out of fuel... I never had a fuel guage until i changed the fuel tank to a new one. I used to calculate hours etc but always feared id run out. Its just one of those things you dont want to be doing at sea. If you drain the battery whilst priming then what?
For the sake of knowing you have a 100 litre tank and it uses 5 litres an hour then you have 20 hours of motoring. So after 15 hours you fill it back up.
nauticalnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:51   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Unless there's some magic self bleeding system....

Yes...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 03:56   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nauticalnomad View Post
You just dont run out of fuel... I never had a fuel guage until i changed the fuel tank to a new one. I used to calculate hours etc but always feared id run out. Its just one of those things you dont want to be doing at sea. If you drain the battery whilst priming then what?
For the sake of knowing you have a 100 litre tank and it uses 5 litres an hour then you have 20 hours of motoring. So after 15 hours you fill it back up.
Thanks, but I would still like to know the answer to my question.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:05   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: If I run out of fuel, what do I need to do?

Yes.... you will need to prime it.. personally I find the silly little primer pumps one step above useless which is why I always fit a rubber fuel bulb in the line.. gets the job done in no time.
Crack the last injector and half a dozen squeezes rushes the fuel through till it squirts... tighten and turn over the engine.. no cramped 1/8th inch pump action that takes forever..
Great for filter changes as well..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:08   #6

Boat: LAGOON 400

from my experience of changing all fuel pipes, you would have to prime pre filter and fuel pump.

Then bleed system as per standard procedure.

ensure you do not flood engine when trying to start. Disconnect water intake until starts. It is going to taker probably several attempts until last air makes out of injectors. Been there done that.

I dont see big deal.
arsenelupiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:09   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yes.... you will need to prime it.. personally I find the silly little primer pumps one step above useless which is why I always fit a rubber fuel bulb in the line.. gets the job done in no time.
Crack the last injector and half a dozen squeezes rushes the fuel through till it squirts... tighten and turn over the engine.. no cramped 1/8th inch pump action that takes forever..
Thanks. Thats really helpful and I will look at installing an inline rubber fuel bulb.

Cheers
Old 02-05-2016, 04:36   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Yes. But it's a lot easier than many other marine diesels. There is only one bleed point:

Yanmar 3JH4E Operation Manual (Page 37 of 142)
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:38   #9

Thanks guys.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:40   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: If I run out of fuel, what do I need to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Thanks. Thats really helpful and I will look at installing an inline rubber fuel bulb.

Cheers
Make sure its one rated for diesel outboards.. the petrol ones tend to fail internally after a while.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 04:49   #11

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
This is a good idea.

The other thing you can do is to instal a 12v pump in the line. Like the bulb it makes priming much easier.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 05:38   #12

Boat: Catalina 470

I have one of those 12v cube pumps inline just has fuel line exits tank. The switch is right next to the motor. Very easy to bleed system.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 06:34   #13

Boat: Camano Troll

You need to find the instructions for bleeding your engine. It's not generic. You may need to prime the fuel filters as well.

Running out of fuel is not only a PITA as far as bleeding the engine and filters, you will be sucking up any water and crud that's in the bottom of your fuel tank. You may well find yourself with bigger problems than having to bleed the fuel system.

So - It's pretty important to do your best not to run out of fuel, especially with a diesel engine. If you think you're getting close, add your emergency fuel before you run out.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:28   #14

Raise the sails! Why did you have that thing on anyway?
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:01   #15

Boat: Cape George pilothouse 36 and a Cape Dory 25

Make sure you have a big enough open ended wrench aboard to loosen the injectors. On the maiden voyage/ shakedown cruise of our present boat we did not have one. When I stupidly didn't switch tanks in time the cheap crescent style wrench I had would not open them. It would slowly loosen itself. So I epoxied the wrench, but I had only G-flex epoxy aboard and after waiting 16 hours it flexed enough to begin rounding the injector nuts instead of opening them. We sailed into Avila Bay, California on a whisper of wind which died inside and I, having no dinghy aboard yet, had to yank out an 8" x 3' shelf and paddle about 50 yards to a mooring. We took the water taxi in the next morning and I hitch hiked ( for the first time since 1971) to town, but found no tools at all for sale, except for marshmallow/hotdog roasting skewers. The mechanic at the boatyard wouldn't lend tools and couldn't come until Monday because Saturday was the opening of some particular fishing season and he made more money launching boats with the crane for those 2 weekend days. On Monday he didn't respond to my first ten radio calls and phone calls, but eventually grew sick of me and came out and 15 minutes later we were under way. Now, we have a full compliment of hand tools, and enough power tools that I built that missing dinghy on the docks and beaches as we cruise, and built a 12' mast for it that is also a sculling oar for Mana. This story is also a warning about buying a boat and not having time to properly outfit because of weather concerns. The day after the paperwork was done 10- 17-2013 we left Seattle for Ventura, California. We encountered the biggest seas and strongest winds I have ever ( knock on wood) been in.
fatherchronica is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel