Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2016, 08:02   #16

Boat: 1985 Hershine 48' YachtFish
Send a message via AIM to Splash of Lime
Re: If I run out of fuel, what do I need to do?

IT IS REALLY IMPORTANT THAT YOU TURN OFF THE WATER INTAKE <><><>. . . .Just make sure you turn it back on when you get the engine running.
Splash of Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:13   #17

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Mesa AZ
Boat: Cal 39

An electric fuel pump is even better!
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:20   #18

Boat: a sailing boat

I sailed a cat with twin yanmars. The pumps were self priming. I would just add fuel and crank see what happens.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:22   #19

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

Follow the manual that Stu posted. Besides the mechanics of bleeding I highly recommend using paper towels or something disposable to catch the diesel. It's a tough smell to get rid of if it attacks your boat!
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:24   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yes.... you will need to prime it.. personally I find the silly little primer pumps one step above useless which is why I always fit a rubber fuel bulb in the line.. gets the job done in no time.
Crack the last injector and half a dozen squeezes rushes the fuel through till it squirts... tighten and turn over the engine.. no cramped 1/8th inch pump action that takes forever..
Great for filter changes as well..

I believe the process is more complex on this motor. The fuel bulb or priming lever on the low pressure pump will help you bleed the air from the low pressure side of the fuel system. You will need to open and then close one bleed point after the next while pumping fuel. Follow the fuel line from the low pressure pump to each bleed point, remove all the air, and move to the next. The bleed points will be shown in your manual. I think the final one is on the high pressure fuel pump. The priming bulbs are handy for this process but I'm pretty sure they are not ABYC compliant. (But do what you like.) Next, you need to bleed the air from high pressure side of the fuel system (which is after the high pressure pump). You need to open the nut at the top of all three injectors. Open them plenty, not just a little. Do not bend any fuel lines. Then crank the motor until you get clean fuel with no bubbles from all injectors. Close all three the injector nuts and try to start the motor. Repeat from step one if it does not start or it stalls. Fuel will not "leak back" drawing in air on the high pressure side of the system, so you don't have to rush closing the injector nuts.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 08:40   #21

Boat: Irwin 43 Mk111 CC, Sloop
Send a message via Skype™ to adlib2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Hi there,

If I ran my engine to a point that it stopped due to running out of fuel, would I need to prime or bleed anything to get it going again (after topping up with my emergency jerry can reserve of 25l).

The engine is a Yanmar 3JH4E on a Beneteau Oceanis 40

Thank you.
In over 50 years of yachting have never run out of fuel; however, sailed into many harbours due to engine shut down due to other reasons usually for plugged engine coolant strainer.
adlib2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:16   #22

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

Check your engine manual. Some engines have electric fuel pumps and are therefore capable of self priming. Your manual will give you the instructions on how to prime your specific engine.
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:20   #23

Everyone should learn how to bleed their systems. Read your manual. Usually just cracking the filter fittings will get the air out, then tighten when only fuel comes out. Some systems best to bleed forward(filter, injectors) and some backwards(injectors, filters). Some have an automatic bleed system(pure heaven). Learn to do it quickly; may save your boat someday.
On our bmw engine and yanmar, we just cracked the line to the injectors and primed the system till fuel ran out without any air.

If you have more than one filter, be sure each is bled. Running out of fuel is not uncommon if you have multiple fuel tanks and each has to be switched manually.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:27   #24

Why should you turn off the water intake , because if ya have to spin the engine a lot , the water pump is pumping water in but there is not enuff exhaust pressure to blow the water out so it accumulates where ya do not need it .
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:27   #25

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

It's ok to know how to do it, but think - if the weather is bad, and the bboat is rocking, do you really want to do that?
Best course of action set the second sail, ( I asume you have always your main up) and deal with this issue in a flat sea place.
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:30   #26

Depends on the engine. Some will start up readily after you crack one injector and crank for 10-15 seconds. Some are much harder. A squeeze bulb or electric pump between the tank and engine can help prime.
BTW, usually the engine will start to rev faster and then slower intermittently when running out of fuel.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 09:51   #27

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFKASAP View Post
Hi there,

If I ran my engine to a point that it stopped due to running out of fuel, would I need to prime or bleed anything to get it going again (after topping up with my emergency jerry can reserve of 25l).

The engine is a Yanmar 3JH4E on a Beneteau Oceanis 40

Thank you.
If you forget & run out of fuel,you will probably never let it happen again.
The bleeding procedure,while usually not difficult, will create an auto reminder in your mind

Seriously--you should practice/learn the bleeding procedure for your engine while at the dock.
Next filter change,with tank valve turned off,run engine til it stops.
Use your manual to follow bleeding procedure & learn what tools,rags,containers,etc. you need.
Bleeding your diesel should be part of your skill set IMHO. Fuel delivery problems are not uncommon & it's nice to be prepared.

Cheers/ Len
Old 02-05-2016, 09:57   #28

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Yes.... you will need to prime it.. personally I find the silly little primer pumps one step above useless which is why I always fit a rubber fuel bulb in the line.. gets the job done in no time.
Crack the last injector and half a dozen squeezes rushes the fuel through till it squirts... tighten and turn over the engine.. no cramped 1/8th inch pump action that takes forever..
Great for filter changes as well..
I installed a 5/16" off the shelf replacement squeeze bulb 3 yrs ago. Cheap & works great,but Stu Jackson & others have me worried it will "dissolve".

Does anyone know where I would find a diesel rated one in N.America??
Old 02-05-2016, 10:00   #29

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 45

I was wrong. This engine is simple. There is one bleed point on the low pressure side and the high pressure side is self bleeding.
SteveInMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:11   #30

Boat: 56' CNSO Mikado Cutter Ketch

As with most breakdowns, they usually occur at the worst possible time. After I changed engines, I practiced changing filters, bleeding the system etc at the dock. After a couple of successful trials I made a laminated instruction sheet that hangs in the engine room so that anyone can do it in case I am not available. I also made up a set of tools required to perform these tasks which is stored in the engine room.
Mikado is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel