Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2022, 11:49   #1

Boat: Sabre 34II
Ideal 18 or similar

Hi all,

I want to get a small sailboat to teach my kids sailing, trailer it to different waters and extend my season a little when our big boat is out of the water.

My requirements for the boat are -

1. It has to be small enough that I can trailer and launch every time (don't foresee doing it >12-15 times/year)
2. Don't want a dinghy, I have sailed Sunfish and Lasers but they are too sporty for our needs, and want something sturdy
3. Can fit 3-4 comfortably
4. Not looking to race

Looking at a few small boats I think Ideal 18 fits the bill but I don't know what else is out there. It doesn't necessarily have to be a keelboat but I don't want a dinghy that requires hiking to keep it stable. I initially started looking at 12-14' boats but couldn't find something similar to Ideal 18. Flying Scot 19 would be easy to trailer but how sturdy will it be, can it handle 3 people?

Finally, any leads on Ideal 18 for sale in the Northeast US, I am based on western LI sound.

Thanks.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 11:57   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Ideal 18 or similar

It's a little bigger, but a Sonar might also fit that bill. If you want some pictures of either a Sonar or Ideal 18 to get a better sense of them, let me know. There are always a few on trailers around here, as the marina we're docked at is the distributor for both.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 12:27   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It's a little bigger, but a Sonar might also fit that bill. If you want some pictures of either a Sonar or Ideal 18 to get a better sense of them, let me know. There are always a few on trailers around here, as the marina we're docked at is the distributor for both.
Thanks, I know Sonars very well as I learned sailing on them and raced them regularly, still do on a friend’s boat. They are quite big for my needs and I can’t imagine trailing one regularly. There are a bunch of Sonars and Ideal 18s in our local waters but none for sale.
Old 22-09-2022, 14:15   #4

The ones that I looked up at the last Annapolis boat show were:

Topaz Omega
Malbec 18
RS Venture
Hunter 18
Catalina 16.5
NPCampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 14:47   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPCampbell View Post
The ones that I looked up at the last Annapolis boat show were:

Topaz Omega
Malbec 18
RS Venture
Hunter 18
Catalina 16.5
Thank you, I will look them up.
Old 22-09-2022, 17:51   #6

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

To add to the list, there are also the Precision sailboats. I saw what looked like the 18 foot version on a trailer today. And unlike the Ideal 18, Sonar and some others, the Precision is a keel/centerboard so it's much lower on the trailer and can be reasonably ramp launched. The full keel boats are usually better suited to being launched with a hoist.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2022, 18:06   #7

Montgomerys, and Sage Marine boats (many designed by Jerry Montgomery). I like the Precision and the small Catalina boats too.

We love our Sandpiper 565 (19'), there may be a few in the US north.
Old 23-09-2022, 03:29   #8

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

I have owned 3 different trailer sailers and I really enjoyed them all. We started on a Skipper's Mate 17, fun little boat. But I've also (briefly) owned a Compac 16 and we had a Catalina Capri 18 for a couple years.

All 3 of these are easy to rig and easy to launch. I was always able to raise the mast by myself. Of the 3 the C18 was definitely the best performer. That was a great little boat.

Old 30-09-2022, 16:57   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

Ideal 18 may be difficult to trailer and launch easily because of the keel. You'd need a hoist. Something like an O'Day Daysailer might be easier for ramp launching. They're relatively stable centerboarders with enough heft to punch through in conditions that might give an Ideal 18 palpitations.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote