Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2015, 05:24   #1

I need a short List

My search has been focuses on catamarans so far, but I want to investigate mono's as well. There are so many choices to sort through that it seems a little daunting. I'd like help making a short list of boat makes and models to help me focus my search.

The plan is to go full live aboard with my wife and our 2 sons and cruise the world. Since we will have a constant crew of 4 and will want the room for guests, I'm thinking we need to be around the 50' range for comfort and storage. I'd like the ability to cruise in both tropical and cold climates. No trips to Antarctica, but some of the cooler spots in Europe and the Netherlands are definitely on the agenda. I can fix just about anything so repairs and upkeep aren't a big deal though I would like to avoid boats with chronic problems in key areas. I'd like a reliable hull and strong deck not prone to leaks. I think I'd prefer fiberglass as a hull material. Aluminum seems problematic and steel seems like a nightmare but I don't have any experience with either as a hull material so I'm willing to be educated. I'm also not so sure how much bearing I should put on the age of a boat. It would seem to me that as long as properly maintained, any well designed hull should last indefinitely.

So there you have it, let me know what makes and models have reputations for strength and reliability. Most everything else is trivial at this point.

Tom
Tscott8201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2015, 06:13   #2

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 53 ft
Re: I need a short List

Hello Tom,

I have an Amel Super Maramu ketch. 53 footer. Comes with all bells and whistles installed including electric furling, windlass, large lazarettes, water maker, AC, heating, genset, washing machine, fridge & freezer, (many boats have a dish washer too), 2 double cabins and 2 single berths, proper sized fuel tank (600 liters), 1000 liter water tank, 4 zone water tight compartments. Lots of storage for tools and spares... wine also if you prefer.

The Amel concept is to design and build boats for retired couples wishing to go round the world. 497 Super Maramu were built... they are very popular with long distance cruisers.

Regarding guests: I welcome every guest on the first day. The 2nd day I see the failings. The 3rd day, I begin the selection of the first human sacrifice. The 4th day, I head to port to throw the annoying bar stewards off... most guests are annoying (even your mother) and will not fit into your life style.

GL
Eleuthera 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote