Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2016, 08:47   #16

Re: I just found this incredible 86 C&C 35 might make an offer!

Don't rush, take it one step at a time. Think it through. The design looks typical for the time period. I seriously doubt it's worth anywhere near the asking price (is that US $?). C&C's have a good rep for sailing well. Watch out for leaks and cored hulls. Mid 80's racing hulls are plentiful out there.
Sail are a big money.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 08:48   #17

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Although I love C&C yachts, they are getting old. A 1986 model would be 30 years old. The price should be lower. Even if everything is redone, the hull and keel bolts are still 30 years old.

I'm looking at C&C34's locally (Ontario) around $20k cdn.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:01   #18

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
When a broker doesn't have enough listings, they simply copy other broker's listings.
I think the "sold" listing @jackdale pointed out is a few years old, the boat has since had a new biminy added as well as a diesel heater, will confirm with the old broker. It's certainly a new listing broker said it's been on the market 3 weeks. Had a couple who were close to purchasing...going to see it again tomorrow.

I hear you about the windows, it was absolutely pouring rain when I went to look at it, mind you they put two tarps over it so hard to get a sense of leaking. Ran my hand all the way around each window bed, no moisture even though there were signs of rain/water on the outside glass. I suppose leaving a hose running on the top while inside would render whether it does or not if I wanted to take it a step further.

Quote:
Don't bother with the brokers...thats the owner's problem. If you are speaking with the owner...speak with the owner...Also, check the bulkhead near the chainplates for water damage...and check the deck near all fittings for water intrusion.
A third party club member (with status at the club) contacted the broker to sell it and is out of the country, broker said they could ask for details...was a bit unclear they didn't know the full story. Windows appear to have been siliconed (clear) on the inside. But as I said no dampness/leaks. Windows wet on the outside as was driving rain even under a couple of small tarps. Also a heater was left on in the boat and a window hatch in main cabin left open a crack. Told it's the season for mould so need to keep a boat dry. Also there was water in the bilge. Seems like a safety hazard leaving a heater on.

Sorry to hear about the ice/snow! If it makes you feel any better it's been raining non stop for three weeks, pfft.
Offshore74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:03   #19

Quote:
I'm looking at C&C34's locally (Ontario) around $20k cdn.
I hear you, was thinking of a much lower offer if I do.
Old 24-03-2016, 09:05   #20

Boat: Shannon 38

You need to look at a number of boats and then think about which if any to explore further. Being that you are now in Victoria, here are a few boats that appear to meet your basic reauirements listed now on Yachtworld and in your general area:
1982 Hinterhoeller Frers F3
US$ 30,527 westerbeke engine I like them
Maple Bay, BC

1990 C&C YACHTS 34/36R
US$ 34,430 new yanmar engine 2008
Victoria, BC

1984 Cooper Yachts Sloop pilot house good reputation
US$ 34,353
CAMPBELL RIVER, BC 2007 volvo engine

1980 Hinterhoeller Niagara 35
US$ 34,430 volvo engine
Maple Bay, BC
Joyful Noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 09:06   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I seriously doubt it's worth anywhere near the asking price (is that US $?)
Canadian. To your point about sails, it probably needs a new mainsail and (roller-furling) jib, what are we talking...5k?
Old 24-03-2016, 09:13   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joyful Noise View Post
You need to look at a number of boats and then think about which if any to explore further.
Totally agree, I'm actually in Vancouver, but might be worth checking a couple of boats you pointed out, I saw that Hinterhoeller F3 and the Niagara listed. They might be worth a look for some perspective. Cheers!
Old 24-03-2016, 09:43   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore74 View Post
A third party club member (with status at the club) contacted the broker to sell it and is out of the country, broker said they could ask for details...was a bit unclear they didn't know the full story. Windows appear to have been siliconed (clear) on the inside. But as I said no dampness/leaks. Windows wet on the outside as was driving rain even under a couple of small tarps.
The glued in windows sure look nice BUT - paying to remove, repair surrounding areas (their will be damage), acquire new material/make/install will be $3000 range (you'll need Plexus MA320 two-part adhesive, about $150/tube). Silicone on the inside? Clear indication of trying to stop leak and save money, it is the band aid method, not the right one because they are trying to stop the water on the inside rather than stop intrusion from the outside. Live aboard/weekending in BC climate you need ventilation - glued in windows don't provide that, but they sure look nice.

Someone else mentioned brokers are all about the money. I was in marine manufacture/service/sales for over 2 decades - 80/20 rule applies here, most are about the $$$ pipeline so do what my father always said - believe nothing you hear and half of what you see - then get some good 3rd party, arms length advice.

New quality sails for that C&C 35? Just ordered a new 150% genoa for C&C 32, a bit over $3500 with tax and locally built to order. Main and genoa combined would be over $7000 and not tri-radial.

C&C 35 - well built, sails great, real popular - try to get one with lots of work done or work the price in your favor to allow for repairs - and by all means, get a survey by someone that is NOT recommended by the broker.
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:07   #24

Boat: 38' Beneteau Moorings

Quote:
It's always a bit creepy finding a boat that's re-listed makes one wonder if something is wrong with it. Will see whether I'm as pumped about it tomorrow! It's a lot of fun hunting for the right boat. Cheers
Not always... I purchased a pontoon boat last summer to go and have fun locally with friends. Now I am obsessed with sailing and spend every free minute working on the sailboat or reading about sailing. I listed the pontoon last week for several reasons:
1 - Boats sitting and not being used generally fall apart and turn into giant piles of garbage...
2 - I would rather use that money on the sailboat.
3 - I would be happy knowing somebody else is enjoying a good boat.

She runs like a top and deserves to have an owner that has time to take her out. I might get lucky and break even on the purchase!
tikirawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:15   #25

Thanks for all the info really appreciate it your insights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notiesbob View Post
Silicone on the inside? Clear indication of trying to stop leak and save money, it is the band aid method, not the right one because they are trying to stop the water on the inside rather than stop intrusion from the outside. Live aboard/weekending in BC climate you need ventilation - glued in windows don't provide that, but they sure look nice.
Click image for larger version

Name:	window.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	121365

All window edges were bone dry but I did see some clear silicone on the inside of the larger windows. No signs of water leaking or wood damage though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notiesbob View Post
I was in marine manufacture/service/sales for over 2 decades - 80/20 rule applies here, most are about the $$$ pipeline so do what my father always said - believe nothing you hear and half of what you see - then get some good 3rd party, arms length advice.
Your father knew what he was talking about! Would certainly get a thorough boat inspection beforehand.

Ouch! on the price of sails, not really surprised though. Will consider that if I make an offer.

Thanks again.
Old 24-03-2016, 10:43   #26

Boat: 1980 Tartan 33

We can underestimate the value added in hiring a good independent surveyor as a consultant -- for say two hours time to look over the boat and advise on impressions and findings. Just an oral confab to get an expert impression on whether this candidate is worthy of an offer. Money well spent. If you pull the trigger this surveyor can then be hired for a full pre purchase survey.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jack Lahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 10:49   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lahr View Post
We can underestimate the value added in hiring a good independent surveyor as a consultant -- for say two hours time to look over the boat and advise on impressions and findings. Just an oral confab to get an expert impression on whether this candidate is worthy of an offer. Money well spent. If you pull the trigger this surveyor can then be hired for a full pre purchase survey.
Great advice!! thank you.
Old 24-03-2016, 19:01   #28

Boat: 1976 Albin 7.9 meter sailboat

I really, really appreciate C and Cs, though have never owned one. Raced against them, though, both the 34, the 35 and the Landfall 38. Very sturdy, boats. I think that once you find a boat that, while not perfect, makes your heart go pitty-pat, make the offer!. Don't wait too long, as the good ones can go pretty fast, right from under you. Make that low offer, tie it up with a deposit (you can always reject it later at the sea-trial), and get the ball rolling. I'm speaking from experience here. There ARE no 'perfect' boats in this age and price range. I have brought several back to life, but I always started with boats with a good designer, good reputation, and tried to keep the deficiencies to things I felt I could do myself.....it's boat yards that are really spendy, imho, but if you can do some work yourself, you can save a bundle....

I have painted a few boats with two part epoxies using roll and tip method, done some relatively simple upholstery and canvas sewing, and saved thousands. What I can't do by myself (complete repower, etc.), might give me pause. But buy the boat you LOVE to look at, be seen on, etc., especially if it's a great boat under sail.....; a good surveyor can really save you some grief.....
Good luck!
scareygary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2016, 21:32   #29

C&C's were and sometimes are great boats. Keep your eyes out for a CS 36 as they are in my opinion better cruising boats..
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2016, 22:51   #30

If you've found a boat that ticks so many of the boxes on your list, is located close to home and most importantly fits into the lower end of your budget then you're onto a winner. The only advice I'd give is spend the money to get a full survey/inspection. I'd start by paying for a basic inspection whereby surveyor inspects the vessel in the water. Mechanical, rigging, fittings etc. If you're happy to proceed then make the offer subject to the vessel passing an out of water hull inspection. If she passes then whilst out the water take this opportunity to carry out all below water maintenance. Change the anodes, replace shaft seal, anti-foul etc. Good luck and remember that just like women, the boat that get your heart racing may not do it for others. It's important that you like what you have spend your dollars and time on!

Quote:
Hey all,

Hoping to get some perspective before I do something smart or stupid, depending on how you look at it. Recently moved to Vancouver from Toronto for more sailing, less ice and snow more wind and, well rain. Have been eyeing and obsessing over sailboats for 3+ years, and the idea of owning rather than sailing on other's boats has always been the goal. Hated racing (j24s) too much yelling, and loved cruising. Tranquility and slow deliberate moves is more my speed. But I'm still new at this.

So I finally narrowed it down to a boat with certain parameters: a 34-36 ft, with a Yanmar engine, want a coastal boat but one that could go far, 40k - 70k to spend. Spacious for a 6'1inch dude, got a head/shower, decent kitchen, storage, ventilation, heater. And more importantly a brand with history and seaworthiness. Fast and sturdy to out run storms and make quick decisions. And something that when I look at her gets my heart racing.

I started considering C&Cs and landed on a C&C 35 as a possible option. So fast-forward to today, I found one in Vancouver, went to see it and got that fuzzy feeling almost like this could be the boat. The deck wasn't soft, rigging looked great, interior meticulously looked after, engine clean, everything marked and labeled well by the owner, from hoses to wires, really detail oriented. No obviously leaks - was raining so a good time to check but had tarps so couldn't tell the full story. Overall no water marks, leak marks, dampness or water penetration. Except for the bilge which the broker told me is common (?).

So here's the rub. I generally don't act on the first thing I see but I recognize that gut instinct is usually a good measure of something. And after 3+ years of contemplation and research I feel like this could be the one. The price is right 40k, comes with a chart plodder and a bunch of other goodies, nothing overwhelmingly good but then I believe it's really about a sturdy well maintained boat/engine, etc. Downside? needs new sails, definitely a power wash, slightly dated interior (not a real issue) some touchups here and there, but I feel like the boat comes first, bells and whistles later and I could sail her away for a summer. Or two potentially.

So before I pull the trigger and embarrass myself, or act on instinct/impulse I figured I'd run it by some old/new salts around here to see what they think of the situation, whether I should go ahead with an offer, survey, sea trial etc. Or park my thoughts on ice and keep looking. Whatever. Don't hesitate with your warnings, anecdotes and jokes I'm humble and totally open to new thinking so it's all welcomed. And I'm sure many of you have been here before.

Cheers.
Seafari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
offer