Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 12:11   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
I Just Fell Off the Turnip Wagon

Foolish me. The last time I looked at sailboats was in 1985 Hunter 26' boat. That boat cost less than a 26' power boat.

Now I was thinking, since I am retired, I will buy a new sailboat and cruise.

Wow - a new sailboat costs a ton of $$$ to me. I thought I would be able to buy a new sailboat for 75k. Now that I see the prices are 475k and up I am wondering how other people do it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:19   #2

re: I Just Fell Off the Turnip Wagon

Most of them don't, they buy a used boat and work away at it, everyone has a different budget.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:24   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Turnip Wagon? .....excellent! I'm fresh off the boat, myself. I can not see any reasonable argument to pay for a new boat when there are so many excellent, good condition used boats on the market for a fraction of the price.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:45   #4

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

75K is a respectable boat budget. Start looking!
Old 09-03-2014, 13:47   #5

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Foolish me. The last time I looked at sailboats was in 1985 Hunter 26' boat. That boat cost less than a 26' power boat.

Now I was thinking, since I am retired, I will buy a new sailboat and cruise.

Wow - a new sailboat costs a ton of $$$ to me. I thought I would be able to buy a new sailboat for 75k. Now that I see the prices are 475k and up I am wondering how other people do it?

What boats are you looking at? 475+ is a pretty small market. You can get a brand new Tayana 37 for just over half of that. 265k last time I looked. And many boats brand new list for under 200k. But why buy new? Get yourself a solid used boat that's already been upgraded.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 14:19   #6

I did say I was retired and wanted to cruise. I meant to say 'cruise full-time'. I need a 'bluewater' ready boat. Island Packet was recommended. Wow - those are very expensive and 75k buys a 1980's 35 year old boat. I also need more room than what is on a 37' boat so by the time I look at new 42' to 45' boats they are around 500k.

Again - what is in a boat that makes it a 1/2 million dollar boat? Again I was thinking (way off base) that a new sailboat would cost much much much less.

The only thing that makes new sailboats seem reasonably priced is the price of new catamarans.

So, I am now looking at 20 year old boats just to see what 75k can buy.

Old 09-03-2014, 14:45   #7

Re: I Just Fell Off the Turnip Wagon

It's probably because you're confused. You must have hit your head. It's a turnip TRUCK, not a wagon. All you have to do is engage the Way Back Time Machine and things will be just fine.

In reality, the cost of new boats is absolutely astronomical. But you may have to look at things differently. My boat, when it was made in 1986 cost $55K including sails. When we bought this then 12 year old boat in 1998, we paid $54 for it in immaculate condition, and new ones then were up to $106K for essentially the same boat with a slightly but unnecessarily larger engine. A new Catalina 355, essentially the same boat is now just shy of $200K!

Unless you absolutely have your heart set on "new", there's nothing wrong with older boats. Besides the fact that they'll already have anchors and other "stuff", for example, my engine has 2750 hours and it will run, with care, for another 2750 or double that. Even full time cruisers may not put more than 100 or 200 engine hours on a year. The motors are just getting warmed up!

Then think of other systems on the boat: electrical - pretty easy to deal with and my panel still has fuses (!) and works just fine, most have breakers; presuure hot cold - little hose and a water pump.

What's left? Standing & running rigging and sails. Many skippers have found old boats that have been maintained with relatively newer rigging, which many feel can last anywhere from 5 to 15 years. At the risk of sounding pushy, "at your age" (!) you'll have to do it once on a boat you get, new or used. Do it now or do it sometime later (I'm 68, I hear ya )

There are millions of boats out there with "good bones" that some elbow grease and attention to detail of the systems won't be very much different between new and used. When we bought our boat, before I made the offer, we went to look at new ones. The doubled price sealed the deal for me, 'cuz our PO kept the boat in superb condition and double price just wasn't worth it.

Good luck, happy hunting.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 15:11   #8

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

You can find some late 80's Hunter Legend 45's for less than $75k.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 15:30   #9
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

It kind of sounds like you might need to a bit more research. You say you want a "blue water" boat, which is fine. Now that you are retired, perhaps something that is a good coastal cruiser would work as well. A friend recently bought a 38' Morgan for less than $35K, it needs a little work but not much. It came with a lot of goodies such as AC with a genset. If I had that boat I would not hesitate to use it for coastal cruising or through the Caribbean.

My boat is a 1989 model and I would trust it in any waters of the world she would swim. Usually the boat takes nasty stuff better than I do and it would not cost anywhere near what you are talking'

Good luck and feel free to ask on this forum, but the final decision will have to be yours.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 15:34   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'm surveying an 87 IP 38 tomorrow that is close to your stated price. Hopefully 27 yrs old isn't too old? Love to have a new one myself, but now way I would spend that kind of money to watch it depreciate that fast
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 16:37   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

You do know of yachtworld dot com I presume.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 17:04   #12

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
You do know of yachtworld dot com I presume.
Another good site for the OP.
Old 09-03-2014, 17:05   #13

Boat: Traditional 30

475k? what are your expectations of cruising? You can buy an old banga for $20k and get just as much pleasure as you would on a new boat.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 17:15   #14

Yes, I have been looking on-line at several web sites.

I would have never guessed a 27 year old boat like an IP would still cost what it does. If you asked me 3 weeks ago I would say less than 10k if it still floats.

What does 20 to 30 years in salt water and sun do to the hauls and fiberglass of these boats?

Old 09-03-2014, 17:16   #15

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Where are you planning on cruising? You may not need a 'blue water' boat whatever that is! You can find some excellent deals, particularly if you look around in locations that crusers have headed off to, lost the dream due to finances, ill health or a partner that flamed out on them and are selling as is where is at distress prices. Good Luck i your search... Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote