Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 17:25   #16

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
Re: I Just Fell Off the Turnip Wagon

Haha 10k for an Island Packet That would be pretty sweet.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 17:28   #17

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I do not want to do the ICW but do want to sail the Bahamas the Eastern and Western Caribbean to start. Those areas are probably the best areas on the planet. I would sail out of Florida most likely that is why no ICW.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 17:41   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
............... I would sail out of Florida most likely that is why no ICW.
It should be noted that there is no barrier to the use of "blue water" and the "ICW". Everyone that I know who cruises out of Florida for the islands waits for a weather window along those anchorages that line the ICW. There are nine inlets that I typically use along the Florida East Coast that connect the "blue water" to the ICW and the passage from one to the other does not change your cruising status. There is no purpose in designating these areas as more or less desirable. The ICW is a great tool to keep in your toolbox!
Old 09-03-2014, 17:51   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Tuffr2

Your profile doesn't give much help. Where are you?

I always suggest that people in you situation search the massive data base of used boats on the Great Lakes. If you can take a car trip you will see hundreds of gently used boats. Our used boats typically never see salt water, they are used 3 to 4 months/year. They only go out in nice weather. As long as they were kept dry in the winter, a ten year old boat is like a 2 year old east coast boat. You may be able to find one with cruise equipment or you may have to add - in which case it will be new. Yards; marinas here have many boats that must be sold due to the owner's distressed economics. The yard where our boat is stored probably has 50 on the sale lot. There are others listed on yacht club & marina boards. I suggest you use google earth and look for places, talk to owners and brokers. There are at least 3 yards in Muskegon alone. Try Torresens where we are wintered. Brokerage Department | Torresen Marine

BTW - delivering a boat from Muskegon eastward is a plumb cruise. We have some of the most desirable cruise grounds on earth. The North Channel is deservedly listed in the top ten.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 18:14   #20

Quote:

What does 20 to 30 years in salt water and sun do to the hauls and fiberglass of these boats?
Not much if the PO bothered to wax it. And even if he didn't, waxing up an older boat is time consuming but rather simple:

Tips For A Great Buff Wax - SailboatOwners.com
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 18:24   #21

Boat: 2002 catalina 390

Rumpelstiltskin:
You've been away a long time. Gasoline is no longer $.32 a gallon. You can get a perfectly capable "blue water" type boat for $75K if you shop around and do your homework. Look for one listed around $90-100 k and throw them a low ball offer. Cash has a very loud voice these days. Might not make you popular but hey, this is a business transaction not the junior prom.

Fire away....
mikeguyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:42   #22

I am currently in an RV Park on the Gulf Coast 70 miles north of Tampa in the town of Crystal River Florida. I kayak so I can kayak past sailboats in Kings Bay. All these boats look neglected and I would not want to own any of them. Birds are using them as their potty.

I travel on land from Florida to Michigan. I spend time on land in Ohio and Pennsylvania but this summer I might spend time on the east coast looking at boats.

I will look at 'clean' used boats. I had advise not to look at boats being used in the Great Lakes since those boats will not be set up for ocean use. But agree the Great Lake boats will be very lightly used since their sailing season is so short.

I can spend up to 75k. Does that mean 60k for the boat and 15k for improvments or will improvments cost more?

Old 10-03-2014, 08:00   #23

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I will look at 'clean' used boats. I had advise not to look at boats being used in the Great Lakes since those boats will not be set up for ocean use. But agree the Great Lake boats will be very lightly used since their sailing season is so short.
As a Great Lakes sailor I'd say this is poor advice. You can certainly find well equipped boats up here, especially on the larger lakes like Superior. My current boat was bought in Wisconsin. Came with many "blue water" pieces of equipment like a windvane, windmill, good anchoring system, instruments, Y-valve, etc. It's true that some places on the lower Lakes are more geared towards day sailing, but if a good equipment list is your priority, then don't disregard the upper Great Lakes.

Far more importantly, and as Nicholson58 says, you will find used boats up here that are far less "used" than those in the southern ocean waters. Probably the same goes for the NE coast as well. Boats that get hauled each year for winter will tend to have far fewer miles on them.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:15   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

Quote:
......... All these boats look neglected and I would not want to own any of them. Birds are using them as their potty.
................. I will look at 'clean' used boats. I had advise not to look at boats being used in the Great Lakes since those boats will not be set up for ocean use. ........................
I can spend up to 75k. Does that mean 60k for the boat and 15k for improvments or will improvments cost more?
'just a few thoughts: If you exclude boats that have not been cared for by deck cleaning or those with bird droppings, you might be passing by great opportunities. I recently saw a dirty, guano covered 44' Freedom sell in South Florida for a very low price after former owner passed away in his nineties. The family, in the mid-west, were not able to care for the boat and they let it go. There are different types of neglect and some can be overcome with little expense.

The "set up" for boats cruising the Great Lakes is not normally any different from the rigging and equipment on ocean cruisers.

What portion of your 75K may be needed in reserve for improvement can best be foretold by a marine survey that you would purchase when you are seriously interested in a particular vessel. After the survey you will have the data an costs. The cost of the survey is worthwhile and can allow you to walk away from a potential mistake.

Good luck and skill with your search!
Old 10-03-2014, 08:31   #25

If you are just going to sail the Caribbean you don't need a bunch of offshore gear but you will need to spend a few bucks on solar and you need a good dink. Refitting a used boat can often cost anywhere from 25% to well over 50% of the original value so you want to really do your due diligence. Take your time, its fun shopping and good luck with your plans.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 08:54   #26

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Now I was thinking, since I am retired, I will buy a new sailboat and cruise.

Wow - a new sailboat costs a ton of $$$ to me. I thought I would be able to buy a new sailboat for 75k. Now that I see the prices are 475k and up I am wondering how other people do it?

For people who aren't rich, there are two ways to buy a new boat. Most people take out a large loan and make monthly payments. A short time ago, that worked well when interest rates in the US were at a historic low. Right now, I believe they are a little higher but still pretty good.

The other way is to sell your house, buy a boat, and live on the boat instead! Your utility bills will certainly be lower.

475K will buy you a good sized new boat, even from the top of the line manufacturers. That's probably around the 45-48' range for Beneteaus and Jeanneaus and 40' range for Morris or Hallsberg Rossy. For that much, you can also afford a 38-42 foot catamaran from Leopard or Lagoon, which have a bit more space than an equivalent length monohull.
Rohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:11   #27

That was kinda my point. I thought I would go to boat shows, look at everything. Decide on a few boats to target. Take my 75k and go buy a new boat and sail off into the sunset.

Then I realized I am only 400k short from getting a boat big enough to live on.

So now I need to take a step back and look at used boats in my 75k range.

No way can or would I buy a 475k boat.

Old 10-03-2014, 09:17   #28

Boat: Tayana 37

How much space do you think you need? If you're single handing, I wouldn't look at anything over 30-35'. I think you'll be surprised how little space you actually need on board. Especially since in the tropics you'll most likely be spending 75-90% of your time on deck anyway.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 09:24   #29
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

on the surface it looks like older boats are cheap, but you forget about all the **** you have to deal with paying for others lousy maintenance mistakes, and re-outfitting etc. That can set you back as much as the boat

There is a lot to be said for buying new. Clean slate. This has been said by others on other threads.

Sure, looking at IP etc are expensive, but I think there are plenty of new boats that are affordable under 150-200k. Who needs all that rainforest teak and maintenance? Who needs a deep keel dog? Or an 18 bedroom wet bar condo cat?
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 10:46   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

On the surface older boats look cheap. Some of them are worthwhile and some of them are not. You'll do best with your money buying a used boat that is not compromised by past mistakes and poor care. This is why your learning, close inspection and use of a good surveyor can save you thousands of dollars. If you don't feel capable of spending the effort or learning what is a sound buy, then you would need that clean slate.