Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2014, 15:31   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: I Just Fell Off the Turnip Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin84 View Post
.................. Look at it another way. When you buy a yacht for say, 300k, you can reasonably expect 30 years of use out of the boat. But buy an RV for 125k (and that's a fairly inexpensive one) you'll get 5-10 years of use out of it if you're lucky and maintain it well. Replace your RV every 10 years and guess what? Over the same time period that you've owned your 300k yacht, you've spent 375k to own three separate RVs. ............................
I agree with this wise post, but there is another factor. During those thirty years of owning the boat the relatve dollar changes drastictly.

Take the example of my purchase of a 12 year old Morgan 41' in 1985. I gave my 33' Morgan of the same year, a 5K upgrade in a new diesel (yes, new diesel engines cost about 5K in 1985) and another 30K for what would have been valued at a 65K boat at that time. This was no great deal,- I could have done better or worse. So, I've owned my boat for 29 years and I've added constant refits,- engine, sails, rigging, generator, electronics ..... pretty much fulltime maintenance. Of course, during this time I've put about 75,000 cruising miles on my boat. I'll likely be able to sell my boat for something a little less than 50K, which is not much less than I bought it for, but those were 1985 dollars and I've put much into the boat. I will not regret this. My vessel has given me a great life and, by it's history of care, it will do someone else vey well. Actually, I'd sell for less to someone who would value my boat more! I have the heights of my children marked on the main mast from infants to late teens. I've spent almost half of my life on this boat. I sold my first liveaboard boat in 1973 to a man who tied the dock lines to the teak taff rail, ripping it off, and leaving open paint cans on the deck. ......... I'm selling Aythya to someone who will respect it. I know, it sounds silly, but that's what will happen!
Old 11-03-2014, 15:35   #77

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

I don't think there's a set length for when a boat becomes a "yacht."

Some sailboats as small as 30 feet I would call a yacht, while others... not so much.

I would never spend the money to buy a brand new boat... even if I won the lottery. Just doesn't make sense.
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:00   #78

Boat: Tayana 37

In the US, I believe ANY boat over 26' is considered a yacht. At least as far as banks are concerned for financing one.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:12   #79

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

I have never called any of my boats "a yacht". I have owned 14' to 37', they were all boats to me. A friend of mine bought his first boat, a 27. I have never heard the word yacht so many times in my life.lol I think he just liked the sound of it...
Old 11-03-2014, 16:34   #80

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
For 475k the darn thing should fly. We are talking 1/2 million dollars for a new 40' sailboat. Come on - you have to admit the new price is mind boggling.

At what size does a sail boat become a yacht?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
While I agree some prices are definitely out of whack, look at it another way. This boat will be your HOME. Not only a home, but a home that can take you anywhere you desire. To me, if you buy a boat for cruising, you're investing in the dream as much as the boat.

And as people have pointed out, there really is no need to spend that much on a boat. Especially considering your intended cruising grounds. For example, you can buy a brand new Catalina 385 for far less than half of your 475k.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 16:35   #81

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

"In the US, I believe ANY boat over 26' is considered a yacht. "

In the US any boat that is 5ft longer than the one you own is considered a yacht.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 17:00   #82

Boat: kelly peterson 44

I have been looking for about 8 months now for a boat that My wife and I can do a shake down cruise in the Caribbean then head to the south pacific. There are plenty of boats out there that meet your price range that will do what you want to do with just a bit of elbow grease. I made an offer on a boat today now comes the survey. I can tell you one thing I have learned from these forums is that everyone has an opinion about the ideal boat. I can tell you that one thing is for sure is you are the one with the money in hand ready to do the deed the best boat for you is the one that will make you happy and you will learn the boats limitations which are generally much higher than what a crew can take. Prudent seamanship is the key, Weather has always been mans biggest fear when going to sea, in this day and age a production boat can get you there just as easily as a heavy "blue water cruiser" its all about having the right information and voyage planning. I am a retired Captain for Maersk Lines for many years I have seen many strange watercraft over the course of my almost 3 million nm at sea. In the electronic age we live in today I find it hard to believe that you cant find your way around the globe without sinking a boat you might get tossed around a bit but with the right information you wont head into an epic storm. My best advice is to find a boat you like and then get a survey let the person that is going to survey the boat know what you intend to do with the boat, remember he works for you not the owner and my last piece of advice is don't wait to find a boat that isn't in the cards for you be realistic and get out there and enjoy yourself.
mpatter894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 18:14   #83

Man, that layout down below simply sucks.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 18:18   #84
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Man, that layout down below simply sucks.
Its tight, but wouldn't say it sucks.

wait a minute is that a toilet behind the sink??
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 18:19   #85

It's unique, that's for sure. I'm not a fan either.
Old 11-03-2014, 19:45   #86

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

That looks way too small inside. Cave like. Kinda chopped up too, I would prefer an open cabin. So a 31 year old boat is still 54k...jeez.

Would an offer of 45k be offensive to the seller?

Would a 31 year old boat have 10 to 15 layers of bottom paint?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 19:48   #87
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I think this is a homebrew modification.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 19:49   #88

45 is definitely not offensive.
Old 11-03-2014, 20:35   #89

Boat: Sovereign 24

Maybe worth checking out

1988 Tartan 34-2 For Sale $49,000
Phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 04:34   #90
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

If it were me, I would spend some more time researching what you are looking for in terms of length, layout, and equipment. Once you determine these parameters, invest in chartering a few boats within your parameters to gain some experience and have a better idea about that is what you want. On the topic of new vs used: a new boat will cost you an additional $10-20K at least, to add the items not included and "commission" it. There are also hidden costs to make the boat "yours" in terms of comfort, personal preferences, and maintenance (even on new boats). I bought an '88 Bene ~2.5 years ago. I paid a very low price and have put an additional ~$40K in it to make it "turn key" and capable of sailing long distances. I love the boat and would do it all again. I have learned a TON since buying and sailing this boat. There are so many areas which haven't been touched such as the used charter market. Many have bought newer boats out of the Moorings line with great success. Good luck and have fun.
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote