Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2009, 17:17   #46

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
Ray -- I'm not going to argue with you either. Nobody, least of all me, is claiming there are any absolutes here. Congrats on your 8.3-knot average and congrats on "living the dream." I too have seen the "big stuff" (28' keelboat; 30-40' waves in Typhoon Kai Tak 2005 in the S. China Sea). Perhaps your wife should have come along to bake us cookies?
Zing! He was pitching underhand to you though. Sounds like a lot of fun to sail with though.

I can not bring myself to buy a hunter no matter what people say. I am a boat snob, I admit it. I am the guy in the crappy pup tent with the smokey fire at the camp ground while everyone else is in their space age campers. They are super spacious down below. I was aboard a 42 center cockpit and was pretty darn impressed with the space. They are just maybe a touch on the plasticky side for my liking though.

I would say the same for the beneteau 393 as well, and man is that a tender boat. We were rounding up like mad in 20 knots (may have been the skippers sail trim). Tayana 37 is a heavy displacement boat isn't it?
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 20:54   #47

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
NAh! bENEYS SUCK...BY AN iRWIN CHEAp LIGHT for their time,STACKED WITH GOODIES ,wet and seductive....out dated but legendary...

My ignorance is glowing to be sure...

Besides any one from Everett knows nothing..... its a truisms around the PNW.
Yeah, Beneys suck! Oh wait...

P.S. For a good time, count how many posters are recommending their own boats! I have a theory that unless the boat is a real clunker, most folks are gonna think theirs is one of, if not the best in its class. Of course I don't think mine's the best...

..I know it is!

JK, but if it isn't a coastal cruiser I don't know what I've been doing the last 1,200 miles. And if it can't handle blue water MarkJ must've worked for NASA in a previous life doctoring up moon pictures.

See??? I can't even make a light-hearted post without defending my boat!!
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 21:20   #48

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Yeah, Beneys suck! Oh wait...

P.S. For a good time, count how many posters are recommending their own boats! I have a theory that unless the boat is a real clunker, most folks are gonna think theirs is one of, if not the best in its class. Of course I don't think mine's the best...

..I know it is!

JK, but if it isn't a coastal cruiser I don't know what I've been doing the last 1,200 miles. And if it can't handle blue water MarkJ must've worked for NASA in a previous life doctoring up moon pictures.

See??? I can't even make a light-hearted post without defending my boat!!
Hee Hee! .....Im sure everyone knows I was kidding ( not to many boats I dont like ) but wow!.... it took 47 posts to get a response... I feel so ignored.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 21:38   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
suckers for the "bluewater" rhetoric

The salesman who came up with the some-boats-ain't-bluewater-capable argument ought to be spanked right alongside everyone on this forum who buys into it. It's a vapid form of brand obsession. Just as they want you to believe that you're better than the next guy because you wear $300 jeans and he wears Levis, they want you to feel that you're better than the next guy because you bought a "bluewater" boat and not a Hunter. (Or a Catalina, or Beneteau, or a....)

Here's the formula, suckers: just as a "designer" jean is better than a production jean, a "bluewater" boat is better than a production boat.

Shame on so many of you for buying into this marketing tripe. Bottom line, the only person more pathetic than a beer snob is a boat snob.

Think about it. Most of the people who get onto this site asking for advice about buying a "bluewater boat" that will take them around the world HAVE NEVER BEEN SAILING.
Old 02-09-2009, 22:28   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
The salesman who came up with the some-boats-ain't-bluewater-capable argument ought to be spanked right alongside everyone on this forum who buys into it. It's a vapid form of brand obsession. Just as they want you to believe that you're better than the next guy because you wear $300 jeans and he wears Levis, they want you to feel that you're better than the next guy because you bought a "bluewater" boat and not a Hunter. (Or a Catalina, or Beneteau, or a....)

Here's the formula, suckers: just as a "designer" jean is better than a production jean, a "bluewater" boat is better than a production boat.

Shame on so many of you for buying into this marketing tripe. Bottom line, the only person more pathetic than a beer snob is a boat snob.

Think about it. Most of the people who get onto this site asking for advice about buying a "bluewater boat" that will take them around the world HAVE NEVER BEEN SAILING.
Wow dude take it easy. This whole thread is about not buying a blue water boat and buying what is sensible. Everyone here agrees with you albeit with a bit less zeal.

With that said there are some times when you would not want to have a light cheaply made production boat between you and 100 fathoms of water. And there are times when a Newcastle is way better than a Bud Lite. And Carharts are better suited for a blue collar work environment than a pair of Levis

I do like the term "marketing tripe" though, very freakin poetic.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:02   #51
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Most of the people who get onto this site asking for advice about buying a "bluewater boat" that will take them around the world HAVE NEVER BEEN SAILING.
Ain't that the truth!

Well put. But now back to the op's question

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:53   #52

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Have to agree with that one. we all end up with the boat we feel will fit our needs, for now that is... I dont see changing from my B-42 in any fast hurry.. It has served me well....... But who knows, Someday I might go to a fullkeel wood boat,
I do like the looks of Lin & Larrys boat and I hear there is a design for a 42 footer in the same style.. Maybe someday........
But then again, I might buy a MotorHome and spend the winters in New Mexico..
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:32   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olorin View Post
How many people do you plan to have on it while you are coastal cruising?
If it usually only two then look at an Alberg 30 for under $20K.
Had one. Lovely boat but small for a 30'.
redcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 15:37   #54

What about an Islander 36, they seem pretty cozy down below and isn't that what that Sunderland kid just circumnavigated with?
Old 04-09-2009, 15:56   #55

Boat: Ta Shing Tashiba 40
A very emotive subject! There are many varied opinions and I certainly have my own as well. I will only say that I agree that Benes are a good COASTAL boat. Period. I've done approx 60K blue water sailing, I do have my preferences. But I think the important thing is, find something that fits your lifestyle and pocketbook (shouldn't be hard in the states where the choice is vast), cut the docklines and go, for heaven's sake. I know people who have literally sat on the dock waiting for the boat to be "perfect" down to matching curtains and seat coverings. Oh dear....
Pacific Jewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 16:01   #56

Sorry unbusted, I missed your last post re: Islanders. My husband and I had an islander 44 that we sailed from CA to Hawaii, then through the south pacific for a couple of years. We really had to beef her up prior to leaving Hawaii, but she served us well. Small living space, but she sailed well. It was what we could afford at the time, so we made it work for us. No regrets!
Old 05-09-2009, 10:12   #57

In general I find boats are tougher then we think they are. If something does break it can usually be fixed or if you find the boat is not up to the task you have in mind then get another boat.

We've sailed a gammet of boats and liked most, we tend to go more to the performance side but that is simply our preference.

Good luck with your boat search.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 11:12   #58

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Is the Islander 36 a Freeport? I've known two owners who have gone through their boats rebedding everything to stop the leaks and one owner whe redid the hull to deck join.
regards,
Old 05-09-2009, 13:51   #59

Our Island 44 is a Bill Lapworth design. There were many a leaks. We had to reseal the deck to hull fitting - a very nasty job (did it ourselves). But it stopped the leaking. Replaced the toe rail with aluminium (instead of teak). The list goes on and on...but we took her through the south pacific. Because there was so much sail area (big boom), we really needed to be aware of the sail area; she was tender..it was something we always had to be mindful of. Cheers.
Old 11-09-2009, 21:02   #60

The CS30 is the boat you need. Great headroom, high quality, fast, close-winded, affordable and incredibly spacious. It doesn't get any better:

http://www.sailboatdata.com/viewreco...?class_ID=1552

CS30 Documents - Bottrell.ca
Sailormann is offline   Reply With Quote