Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2018, 09:15   #16

Re: I am now a sailboat owner... 26’ MacGregor

1991 M26S . Senna will pull it easily. I pull mine locally with old Ford Ranger 4.3 , standard transmission. Low tide pull up a little and let water drain. If the ramp is slick, invite the nonbelievers to the back of the pickup and pull it on out. Summmers web site will get you more excited.
Billnpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 09:19   #17

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Doc, the fun part of trailer boats is getting the boat up the ramp. You’ll understand how the Sienna works for hauling her around soon enough.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 09:28   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadrock33 View Post
towing by the Sienna with some due considerations (maybe increase rear springs [add a leaf]
Sienna has strut + coil style springs in the rear.

Timbren makes a "Rear Suspension Enhancement" kit, other bandaids will help, but really that sort of weight (plus other normal loads IRL) is on the edge for the Sienna

really requires only occasional use in flat country going slow to reduce the odds bad consequences.

While the Suburban you'll hardly know it's there with the right trailer, + brakes for long, high-speed or hilly trips.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 09:40   #19

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

Heck yeah,

Have a pro put some radical sweeping go fast racing style decals on the hull, above the waterline, and that puppy will look like it is going 60 kts, sitting still. Maybe like sweeping waves breaking , or what ever suits your tastes.

But, we are not familiar with trailer boats, and wonder if when loading or unloading that any obstructions or supports could scrape along the hull and damage the hull decals.

They use the decals now for boat names and hailing ports, you might check with an established company that does that. Get the straight scoops.

As a kid and a young man we always customized our cars to our own idea of what would look cool and individualize the vehicle.

So, if it will work, go for it !
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 09:44   #20

Boat: 44' Custom Aluminum Cutter, & Pearson 30

I had two MacGregor 25 with the 800 pound swing keel. They towed so easily behind my F-150 you could forget they were there. All the rigging on the 25s and 26 is the same if you need sails look at both. On my trailer I welded up a extended tongue with ladder and mast raising pole. This gets the mast up in a minute or less using the trailer winch strap clipped to the jib halyard.
NorthCoastJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 10:22   #21

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Congrats HoosierDoc!

We enjoyed a MacGregor 26M when between cruising boats for several years while landlocked [a trailer sailor was best for us at the time...] It was a fun boat and very comfortable for the two of us.

Regarding water ballast- you can empty the ballast by getting up on step when returning to haul out. Open both vents while on step: the air vent in the forward section and the ballast water gate on the transom.

It will drain in 3-5 mins while on step. Remember to close the transom gate before coming off step so it doesn't reflood the ballast... Open the transom gate again once on the trailer to drain any residual water. This way you don't have to deal with the weight on your trailer.

If you must put it on the trailer undrained, you can open the transom gate [and air vent!] when you first pull it on to the trailer while still in the water, and just pull slowly ahead, in increments if necessary. It doesn't take long to drain.

Due to numerous requests from MacGregor owners and shoppers, I left our website up after we sold it a few years ago because others indicated they found it useful. It is full of info, photos, and links to manufacturer and outside information. [See this blog post for link to website with more information if you are interested...]

Enjoy your new boat!

Cheers! Bill
Old 27-09-2018, 10:53   #22

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

We had a Tattoo 26, same thing as a Mcgregor. We were going to keep it at the house, but realized that demasting took a lot of effort. We found a marina with no power lines and stowed it there with the mast up and it was so much more enjoyable. Don't load the boat till it's in the water and make sure to drain the water ballast on your way in to the dock. The boat is weight critical . Read the manual. We have a 6 cylinder Ford Escape. Smooth Sailing, you'll love it.
tomlisasail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 10:55   #23

Boat: MacGregor 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
He used to pull the kids and grandkids tubing and water skiing and it's just about the only sailboat that can make that claim. Water skiing with the mast up... that's totally freaky.

Will probably just go with the suburban for this year. I grabbed a slip for next month and then one for next summer. Next year we'll probably get my wife a new car and I get her LR4, and will put a receiver in it

Don't think my boat will take a 50hp engine, it has a 5hp on it now. Regarding the decals, I have a friend that does vehicle wraps and signs, he's going to hook me up with something neat.

"Emergent Sea Medicine", going to have waves on the bottom of the name that start out as an EKG tracing of ventricular fibrillation nd then fade into waves after the first word. There will be drinks bobbing between the words. Should look sharp.
Hoosierdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:08   #24
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

The Mac 25 won't work with a big engine, but if that is a 26M it surely will, even higher than 70HP, but for little added advantage.

With a little putt putt you've got a sailboat, much greener, but most "real 'muricans" would want the ability to open up and get where you're going at 20k
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:22   #25

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

My friend has a Tohatsu 70 I think and it does fine.
Old 27-09-2018, 11:29   #26

Quote:
My friend has a Tohatsu 70 I think and it does fine.
I think it has a Tohatsu 5hp. This is not the model that will handle the big engine I don't think
Old 27-09-2018, 11:43   #27

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
I think it has a Tohatsu 5hp. This is not the model that will handle the big engine I don't think

The specs say 70 HP max. Do you have the X or the M model? They are both rated the same HP I believe.
Old 27-09-2018, 11:54   #28

Boat: 2017 Beneteau 38.1

A McGregor 26 was my first boat, and it was fun, especially during the hot Arizona summer months, to drain the ballast and crank up the outboard.

The only thing I would caution you about is make sure there is water in the ballast when your sailing, sailing with an empty ballast could be dangerous.
rickdamico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:55   #29

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosierdoc View Post
Today I took a huge recertification exam for my medical speciality and then met A guy from Craigslist and bought his boat. It is a 1994 MacGregor, in great shape. It was stored indoors 15 years of its life. I wanted an entry-level boat I could tow easily and use on the lakes around me.

The water ballast and swing keel make towing much easier. I’m hoping my Sienna AWD will be able to handle it, but nervous about pulling it out with a full ballast tank.

Anyway... just sharing my excitement!

Also... can I put vinyl decals on the hull? A friend does them and it would look great with the name all snazzed up.

Congratulations!
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2018, 11:55   #30

Quote:
The specs say 70 HP max. Do you have the X or the M model? They are both rated the same HP I believe.

I don’t think it’s an X or M

Tags
boat, macgregor, sail, sailboat