Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 12:03   #1

Boat: Gozzard 31
Hylas 49 vs Taswell 49

We are close to making a long term cruising commitment and are narrowing down what was a long list of potential boats.

If there is anyone on the forum who might care to share their thoughts or experience on these two boats it would be most welcome.

Open forum or PM is fine...

Thanks

Shawn
Captivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:24   #2

Boat: Stevens 47
Re: Hylas 49 vs Taswell 49

Hi Shawn!

Trusting all is well. What a great pair to choose from! I wish I could contribute some opinions on either

FYI....we purchased a Stevens 47 in Pensacola, we'll be heading down that way in 3 weeks, very excited about our purchase.

Good luck on your purchase, keep us informed where you're at, would be great to hook up one of these days.

gunk
gunkylump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 13:13   #3

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captivy View Post
We are close to making a long term cruising commitment and are narrowing down what was a long list of potential boats.

If there is anyone on the forum who might care to share their thoughts or experience on these two boats it would be most welcome.

Open forum or PM is fine...

Thanks

Shawn
Don't have any sailing experience on late model Hylas 49, but being directly beside one for a month gave me time to study the two CC/cutter transom integrated swim step designs closely.

Hylas has more sheer, and a more sloped and pronounced swim step, since it is based on stretching out the original Stevens 47. Beam is 0.5' less on Hylas. Hylas has about 6 inches less freeboard, but a taller coach house, so the overall headroom is probably the same. Hylas has a full skeg attached rudder, while Taswell has a partial skeg that the rudder hangs off, with some rudder infront of the rudder post, like Dixon's Moody designs. Hylas is a true Rod Stephens design, and gets good reports all around. Don't know which one rides better, or sails better. I think the Hylas, with the stainless steel port frames, has a very good appearance, while the Taswell saloon portlights have the frames in channels so that from the outside, it appears they are just insets. Hylas offered in a 6 foot draft only, Taswell had three I think (Scheel, Shoal, and Standard).

They are very close in SA, displacement, and ballast. I think the LWL on the Hylas is 1 foot less, but that is due to more rake on the bow.

Just looking at the two boats, visually the Hylas gets my nod, as the coach house changes (from the Stevens 47) along with the sheer, and the slightly sharper entry, are very visually pleasing. From a structural point of view I think they are about the same. Tankage and mechanical placements very similar.

Hylas still makes the 49. Taswell 49 turned into a 50 in 2000, made until 2002 I think.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2015, 13:31   #4

Hi Shawn:
We have had our Stevens 47 since August, been on her since September, never been on the Tas.

We love the Stevens, as you know the predecessor to the Hylas. She is a real sailor...loves the big seas, sits at anchor very, very well, has good tankage, and she is quick.

We crossed the straits of Florida earlier this month with a Saga 43, reputation a quick boat...and we held our own with the Saga. The Saga's owner said to me had he known earlier..........

I would think either yacht, the Hylas or the Taswell, or the Stevens 50, may very well fit your desires. If you'd like to get out on a Stevens 47, depart from the cold, miserable winter up there in Ontario, and come on down to the Bahamas and spend a week with us....it just might be enough to skew your decision<grin>

gunk
Old 16-06-2015, 19:50   #5

Boat: S&S Loki Yawl 38'

Hello,
As a long term owner of other S&S designs, I was delighted to discover the Stevens 47 recently. I have been looking for a blue water vessel for quite a while and have been so impressed with this design that I am beginning to think seriously of buying a Stevens or a Hylas 47. These boats seem to come very close to having the qualities I have been looking for but I still have a number of questions and I am hoping that you might be able to answer some of them for me? I note that there appears to be a fairly sizeable distance between the prop and the skeg and I was wondering how the boat handles under power? Does the rudder feel the prop wash and is it effective at turning the boat? I have read that the early boats especially have had problems with the stainless tanks, what has been your experience? Any input that you could give me on the sailing qualities would also be appreciated since those matter the most to me. I am looking for a boat that that is truly fun to sail. And if that offer you made to the other fellow RE going sailing with you sometime is still on the table, do please let me know! I hope that you had a good season in the Bahamas, where do you normally store for the summer if I may ask? I am now in NS, but winter in Fla. mid East coast. All the best. James
Lokiyawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2015, 21:39   #6

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

Isn't that about the same conundrum as the choice between a Mercedes Benz and a BMW?

We fell in love with the Stevens 47 when we were shopping for a boat but couldn't afford one. We're very happy with the boat we have but every time we get on a Hylas, my wife says, "If we were to ever look for a new boat, I'd want one of these.". Although if money were no object, I think I'd give serious consideration to the Taswell 56 All Season.

You're very fortunate to have such a difficult decision.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2015, 06:41   #7

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

CabezonBD on this site has a Hylas 49, which is a lengthened version of the S&S 47 you are talking about.

Our Bill Dixon Taswell 49 has a similar underbody, except the Hylas has a full skeg hung rudder, ours is semi-skeg.

Their Hylas 49 is right next to ours in this picture, still on the hard as of last week.

These types of boats typically were expensive enough and large enough that the original owners spec'd bow thrusters, so you will be OK on tight space controllability, just maintain the equipment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00234.jpg
Views:	660
Size:	348.0 KB
ID:	103867  
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2015, 11:46   #8

Hi James:

We have a 100 hp turbo Yanmar, no prop wash, steering is steady and no vibrations or moving, either under power or sail. No water tank issues with ours, but have seen weeping seams on other SS water tanks, we looked at 5 before this one. Sails wonderful, quick, decks get a bit wet, dry cockpit. I am totally biased, but we think it is an awesome boat for the money. Contact me if you'd like to get out for a daysail sometime, we are currently in Charleston.

gunk
Old 20-06-2015, 03:55   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, James.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2015, 17:07   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Hi James:

We have a 100 hp turbo Yanmar, no prop wash, steering is steady and no vibrations or moving, either under power or sail. No water tank issues with ours, but have seen weeping seams on other SS water tanks, we looked at 5 before this one. Sails wonderful, quick, decks get a bit wet, dry cockpit. I am totally biased, but we think it is an awesome boat for the money. Contact me if you'd like to get out for a daysail sometime, we are currently in Charleston.

gunk
Gunk, That was very kind of you to respond to my questions about the Stevens 47 and especially to offer me to the chance to sail on your boat. My schedule at the moment is unfortunately insane. We are currently in Nova Scotia preparing two vessels for the short season here and have been on 70 - 80 hour workweeks since it warmed up enough to begin work. We should have our last boat in the water sometime in July. "We" (my wife and I) would very much like to take you up on that offer and could meet you wherever you might be. How much longer would the offer to go sailing with you be good for? We would really enjoy listening to you tell us all about the boat. I have been looking at a number of designs and this one really appeals to me.
I had guessed that she might be a little wet on deck, our Loki Yawl is as well btw. I am very interested in finding out how the Stevens handles. Does she develop an increasing weather helm with heel and if so what are the comfortable limits? What does she do when the boat speed is low after a short tack..does the bow tend to blow off, or is she still controllable? I have a great many questions. In an ideal world, we would really like to own a boat that was fun to daysail but was also very capable. Our Loki Yawl serves the daysailing and local cruising requirement very well but we are now looking for a boat to become our home for a number of years as we slowly work our way around the globe..is this the boat? My email address is Lokiyawl2@aol.com, could I please get yours? CF would not allow me to send you a PM due to being a new member.
I don't know your situation there in Charleston but if you find yourself in need of something Marine and want wholesale pricing I would be glad to try and help out. I have an inland yard in Titusville Florida and do business with a number of vendors in the States. I am sure that you must be aware that the Carolinas are maybe not the best place to be during the height of the hurricane season.. fingers crossed that this is not a bad year if you are staying there. If you have an interest in sailing in Nova Scotia on the Bras D'or Lakes in Cape Breton, our Loki Yawl is available late summer and fall. Our permanent home is there so we could even provide bunk that didn't move if you preferred! We very much look forward to getting to know you, thanks again! James and Joann Alton
Old 20-06-2015, 17:08   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, James.
Thank you. James
Old 20-06-2015, 18:02   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post
Hi James:

gunk
Gunk,

Thanks! A longer reply has been sent but apparently has to be approved by the moderator, hopefully this will post. James

Tags
Hylas