Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2011, 15:53   #1

Hylas 46 vs Tartan 4400

We thought we would find more literature comparing these two boats,
both of which we have much respect for. However, there is not a lot
of discussion comparing the two. Would be helpful to hear any thoughts
readers have to offer regarding these two vessels and why one would
be chosen, in the used market, above the other.
Thanks,
Eticket
Habana Vieja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 19:17   #2

Boat: Hylas 49, 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel
Re: Hylas 46 vs Tartan 4400

In my mind 2 relatively different boats, One Center Cockpit vs Aft Cockpit. Why have you narrowed things down to these two? I kind of have always liked the Hylas 46, maybe I am missing something and need to take a closer look at the Tartan.
CabezonBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2011, 23:01   #3

Thank You CBZ. Yes, they are characteristically different but fundamentally
both are good at carrying a couple across oceans - although in this category
( crossing oceans) our impression is to give the Hylas the nod because of tankage, special features ( the Hylas has everything ), etc. On the other hand, the more bells and whistles the more there is to go wrong.

Considering the Tartan, visibility offered by the raised salon, a sail drive, epoxy hull, and draft about a foot and half shallower than the Hylas are advantages. Both boats hold their value well and their manufacturers stand behind them with ardor. Both will compete with Hallberg Rassy but we are not particularly attracted by the extreme traditionalism of the Swiss competitor (e.g. too much woodwork to maintain ) We simply seek opinions of how these two boats stack up against each other - even though - as you point out, they are rather different birds and both are marvelous.
Old 30-12-2011, 09:46   #4

Boat: Tartan T4400

We look at both new and decided on the Tartan. I sailed aft cockpits and was not keen on the center cockpit the times we test sailed them. For us it came down to the center cockpit would we be happy with it? The Hylas also seemed a bit tender.
I do not remember the tankage on the Hylas but add a fuel tank to our boat when built. I do like the raised salon, with the large window tere is plenty of light below. We don not have the sail drive.
My opinion is that Tartan does not stand behind their produsct and their customer service is rather poor.
Gudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 10:07   #5

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

In my mind a saildrive is no advantage. Unless there were other compelling advantages, the saildrive would be enough to disqualify the boat IMO.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 11:13   #6

David and Gudgeon, thank you both for the insights.
Many friends agree with you on the sail drive and now we are are looking for a sealed packing gland instead. As for the Hylas seeming a little tender in comparison to the Tartan, that is an interesting considering the specs of both boats ( weight, draft, etc) but I believe the Hylas does have a lower
center of gravity.
E.
Old 30-12-2011, 13:22   #7

Does anyone know when Tartan ( 4400) switched from Yanmar to Volvo saildrives and
whether or not they continue with Volvo?
Old 30-12-2011, 13:49   #8

give tartan a call or email them I am sure they can tell you what hull thay went to sail drive. I am hull 15 with a shaft.
As for the hylas being tender it could have been the difference in the center of the boat an a bit higher off the water.
The 4400 sails very well.
Old 30-12-2011, 13:59   #9

I sailed a Hylas 46 from Newport to St Barths via Bermuda.

The boat was a comfortable sail. It is very well equipped. The lineal galley in the passageway was very good.

It was horrid for sleeping. No lee clothes meant the island queen in the aft cabin was impossible on either tack and the port side pullman were unusable on a port tack. That could be an easy fix.

It had in-mast furling, but that is my own bias. I am not a big fan.

No experience with that particular Tartan.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2011, 14:16   #10

I'll do that and, if I get an answer, will post the reply.
Thanks.
Old 30-12-2011, 14:19   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
I spent a week sailing a T4400 a couple years ago. Fun boat. Stiff and yet responsive. I don't think it's anything like a Hylas.

The one thing I didn't like about the Tartan: the owner's baseball cap blew off and was sucked along behind us for at least 30 seconds before we could grab it with the boat hook. That's some bad hydrodynamics.
Old 30-12-2011, 14:22   #12

Boat: ex-Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudgeon View Post
We look at both new and decided on the Tartan. I sailed aft cockpits and was not keen on the center cockpit the times we test sailed them. For us it came down to the center cockpit would we be happy with it? The Hylas also seemed a bit tender.
I do not remember the tankage on the Hylas but add a fuel tank to our boat when built. I do like the raised salon, with the large window tere is plenty of light below. We don not have the sail drive.
My opinion is that Tartan does not stand behind their produsct and their customer service is rather poor.
Tartan was sold to a new owner in 2010. There had been a number of pretty well publicized service issues in the years prior to the sale. My understanding is that the new owners have done a lot to improve the customer experience as well as the quality of the build process. However, that is second hand information from other owners since my dealings with the company itself have been minimal.
S/V Sapphire Tartan 40 #71

tartansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 22:10   #13

1. Center vs. Aft cockpit?
2. 5.5 draft vs. 7 ' draft
3. Selden electric furling main vs standard main halyard with electric lewmar
4. Course visibility from nav station ( raised deck salon) vs enclosed nav
station
5. solid hand laminated reinforced fiberglass hull vs vacuum-bagged, epoxy hull
with a high-density core
6.Guest cabin en suite head vs open access second head
7. Forward galley, open to the salon vs amidship,linear galley moving aft with some isolation from main salon
8. washer dryer vs no washer dryer
etc.?
Old 02-01-2012, 11:22   #14

The 4400 has some similar issues with berthing as Jackdale mentions on the Hylas. The V berth has gaps near the aft end of the berth. The aft state room has a gap on the stdb side. We had the salon table modiifed so it sould be used as a berth also, onport tack there is nothing to lean against.

Habana Vieja
"3. Selden electric furling main vs standard main halyard with electric lewmar"
I did a lot of club racing when I was younger and spoke with my local sailmaker abpout in mast furling, also spoke with cruising boats passing throught here with it. You can not get as good of shape out of an in mast furler. So my final decision came down to iether a roller furler boom or a normal mainwith traditional reef points. I went with a traditional mail if you are doing long distance crusing you wil want to reef earlier rather than later.

"4. Course visibility from nav station ( raised deck salon) vs enclosed nav station"
I like the visibility and amout of light that gets into the boat on the 4400. I do not find myseft sitting at the nav station much while sailing. But it is grat at anchor to be able to look around.

"6.Guest cabin en suite head vs open access second head"
Not sure what you mean by this but what we on found is we only use the shower in the forward head when doing trips currently. That could change in the furture. So it is nice having the access from the V berth and salon to the fwd head. Aft head is used just as a head and for wet gear.

7. Forward galley, open to the salon vs amidship,linear galley moving aft with some isolation from main salon
We found on the delivery that the galley set up work out great. You have plenty of places to brace your self and hand holds.

8. washer dryer vs no washer dryer
We had Tartan plumb for the washer and dryer. Currently it is a nice easily accessable locker that catches miscellaneous items.

I really love how the boat sails, we have a 135 ginny on a roller furler and do not furl it very often. We sometines sail with just the head sail alone. The boat goes to weather very well.
As soon as I get a couple of the build issues corrected I will be very happy.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:56   #15

Thank You Gudgeon for a helpful and thoughtful reply. Though my opinion
is at best a cursory one at this point and considering that both boats warrant deep respect, it is slowly starting to look like the cruising / soon to cruise couples who have had the opportunity to peruse both of these models are taking a turn in favor of the 4400. However, that could change as we speak to more couples. Personally, we will be happy with either and since we are buying on the used market, location will play a role in our decision. We shall see as we continue to garner information / experience.

Are the factory issues you mention unique to your experience / requests?

Mil Gracias

Tags
Hylas