Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2022, 14:22   #1

Boat: Corbin39
Hydraulic Steering Question

so I've got a Corbin 39 with a Wagner hydraulic steering system in it. With only basic knowledge of the system, I'm trying to figure out how it's plumbed and why. I need to know the total displacement of the cylinders and can't find the manufacturer's specs anywhere.
So what I have here is two cylinders (both look like double acting) and they are connected by a hose that has a valve that is in the closed position. Is this a parallel or series system and should I double my displacement calculation?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5246.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	267743  
SailingInfidels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 14:33   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Hydraulic Steering Question

I found this just by looking up the model number on the hydraulic ram in your pic. I didn’t find it by looking up your model of boat but interestingly enough, it is associated with your boat model.

It’s a Wagner 40.

They make two types. There must be another number on the bottom of the ram.

https://corbin39.org/wp-content/uplo...ion-Manual.pdf

It’s one of those two Wagner 40s in this list. Just have to find out which.

I don’t see the plumbing connection too readily in the picture, with the valve between them, but typically a valve between two rams is used to get them back in sync if they go out of sync. It’s called a liquid tie bar in some instances.

Edit: The two types of N 40 Wagner rams have different dimensions in the document that I linked to above. measure yours and you’ll know which one you have, therefore you’ll know the volume.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2022, 17:23   #3

Boat: Corbin39
Re: Hydraulic Steering Question

Yes, that's right. It's an N 40 but I couldn't tell which one until I saw the manual. Thanks for that. I had found another file online but it didn't show the length overall.
So that that solves that and I was able to verify that the boat's existing reversing pump is more than adequate for the "Type 1" autopilot system from Raymarine.
Thank you very much for your assistance. Very much appreciated.
Now to try to get the new autopilot shipped to me in Mexico without going broke in the process, lol.

Cheers!

Ron
SailingInfidels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hydraulic steering, steering