Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2020, 19:32   #1

Boat: Tartan 33
Hunting the right boat

Good evening. I posted a few times on the forum asking for feedbacks on some specific sailboats unfortunately we couldn't close any deal.

The first one was an Island Packet 32 but after the survey, we found that the chainplate had to be replaced and a list of other items. I calculated we had about 20k of expenses the first year. With a negotiated price of 62K it was too high for our budget.

The second boat we selected was a Sweeden 36 from 1985. The lower price was 70k and again counting sales taxes and possible reparation was out of her budget. (we did not perform the survey)

We are looking in WA for life onboard boat able to handle offshore passages. Our plan is to go down to the sea of Cortez and then possibly go toward the Mediterranean sea. The Atlantic will be a one time passage, our interest are for shortest passages.

We also see some Tayana 37 but the price was high for old boat and very high maintenance.

It seems at this point that the only boat entering into our budget are production boats.

I saw an Sun Odyssey 36 1980. It is of course in our price (we are looking under 60k possibly 55) but obviously our worry is the quality of these productions boats and are they able to handle offshore passage.

Tomorrow we also have to see a Pearson 40 with 1980.

All advices are welcome. We are in WA state.
maijipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:39   #2

Re: Hunting the right boat

I know that my boat may be too large and too expensive, and it is located right now in GA, but due to circumstances I'm going to put it up for sale in November in FL with a broker. If someone wants to buy it directly from me without a broker then the price will be very attractive. Here is a link to a web page that I put together for those who have expressed interest hearing about it by word of mouth.

http://www.backcountryskitours.com/private/Carpe_Ventum/for_sale.htm

It would make a fantastic live-aboard boat. I would spend 6 to 7 months on it each winter/spring in the Bahamas and Caribbean.

Cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maijipo View Post
Good evening. I posted a few times on the forum asking for feedbacks on some specific sailboats unfortunately we couldn't close any deal.

The first one was an Island Packet 32 but after the survey, we found that the chainplate had to be replaced and a list of other items. I calculated we had about 20k of expenses the first year. With a negotiated price of 62K it was too high for our budget.

The second boat we selected was a Sweeden 36 from 1985. The lower price was 70k and again counting sales taxes and possible reparation was out of her budget. (we did not perform the survey)

We are looking in WA for life onboard boat able to handle offshore passages. Our plan is to go down to the sea of Cortez and then possibly go toward the Mediterranean sea. The Atlantic will be a one time passage, our interest are for shortest passages.

We also see some Tayana 37 but the price was high for old boat and very high maintenance.

It seems at this point that the only boat entering into our budget are production boats.

I saw an Sun Odyssey 36 1980. It is of course in our price (we are looking under 60k possibly 55) but obviously our worry is the quality of these productions boats and are they able to handle offshore passage.

Tomorrow we also have to see a Pearson 40 with 1980.

All advices are welcome. We are in WA state.
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 12:01   #3

You may be rejecting boats too much because they need work. They all need work, some things are found at survey, some not.
Are you planning on doing your own work? or is that the problem. Too expensive to have it done?
Also, remember, you can negotiate after survey. I surveyed a 110k boat once and after survey bought it for $62k. I told the buyer it was just too much work and that's all I could pay. It had a long list. Turns out...I didn't lie either!

It's just hard to say on older boats, a new boat after maybe 8 years ....all the boat stuff other than the basic boat is at risk of replacement. So a 16 year old boat may be as good as the 8 year old boat depending on what's been done.

The next thing with production boats is the bolt on keel. Cruising boats with a molded keel get you out of that one potential cost, worry and trouble.

Spade rudders abound on production boats, for me they are something I worry about. But not for everyone.

Other things to watch for that are higher cost:
Tanks- often buried in the interior cabinetry, often develop leaks on the bottom after 10 years.
Sails- of course, amazingly expensive now days.
Rigging- after 10 years MAY be suspect, but many go 10 years. Not too expensive if you DIY.
Rudders- I would guess 50% are water logged. many don't know it. I could be wrong.
Old electronics- a boat may be loaded with them but all those are possibly worthless.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 13:54   #4

Thanks.

We went for an IP32. We finally found one being able to negotiate the price down by 20% (55K). The boat is in very good condition. The big expense I will have is to replace the chainplates since they are not visible. This will be for the winter. The boat is from 1990. The survey went fine. Nothing big. (a few hoses to replace)

A few things decided us for an Island packet. First, they have the reputation of being robust boats. The maintenance is lower than for a 1977 or 1980 Tayana, HC etc...much less teak. They are also as roomy as many 36/38 ft boats we visited. Visiting so many boats, we realize we didn't want a too big old boat where expenses tend to be higher, but we wanted a seaworthy and comfortable boat. They are slower, that we know, and also for a longer passage we may have to store extra water and diesel since the tanks are obviously smaller than a 40ft. Overall, I think we find in the IP is a good compromise.

At the and we saw Tayana 37, Polaris 36, Sweeden 36, HC 34, HC 38, Pierson 40, Cheoy lee 41, 40, Pacific Seacraft, TC 36, CC36, and a few other boats less known. We also visited a few production boats such as Catalina 36, Beneteau Oceanis, First 35, Jeanneau...

The only other one that was on top of the list was the Sweeden 36 but unfortunately, we couldn't get the price down enough.

Thx for all your comments and advice.
Old 05-06-2020, 17:50   #5

Congrats!

What are you going to name her? (Or what is her name?) Post some pictures please!

Fair winds,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 19:01   #6

Her current name his Amazing Grace, however, we will rename her Wind Waker with all due ceremonies
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat1.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	216667   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat2.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	216668  

Click image for larger version

Name:	boat3.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	216669  
Old 06-06-2020, 02:07   #7

Oooo! She's gorgeous!

May you have many happy years and miles of sailing with her,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 06:07   #8

Boat: Don’t own a boat at this time yet.

Very beautiful boat, congratulations! She looks awesome.
DanCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:06   #9

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Beautiful! Congratulations! Are you sure you'll need to replace the chain plates? Is there an issue with them or is it just out of an abundance of caution? I am not sure if they had a reputation for corrosion issues.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 13:07   #10

Great! Good choice. I see you are nearby in Bellingham. Have fun.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat