Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-10-2009, 17:49   #16

Check out this post about a new Hunter owner's experiences -- scary stuff!

The Hunter Experience - The Laser Forum
fishfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 17:54   #17
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
Check out this post about a new Hunter owner's experiences -- scary stuff!
He's splatter that post all over the net. And without hearing both sides of the story its difficult to work out much.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2009, 19:36   #18

Boat: 2007 Hunter 41
I normally refrain from replying to Hunter bash post but, feel I need to. If you read the story from the link above the owner made critical errors during the sales/delivery process and dealing with the broker. We sail on Lake Texoma, home of Valiant Yachts, with that said we bought a new 2006 Hunter 41 in the spring of 2007. We looked at new Beneteau's, Catalina's and Jeaneau prior to purchasing the Hunter. To validate our purchase we chartered the same yacht in Florida, Bahamas, Puerto Rico and the BVI's, sailed and anchored in all weather conditions. Our goal is to cruise the East coast and Bahamas and the Hunter 41 exceed all of our expectations.

Now to discuss similarities on yacht deliveries, as anyone on this forum knows Valiants cost in the high 6 figurers, I have personally witnessed the same type of post commission corrections on Valiants, the action that leaves a negative impression in the owners mind is the brokers response to correct the issues. Enough said -
sv-Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 04:56   #19
CLOD

Boat: none
All the Hunter bash things always seem to come down people buying the wrong boat for what they planned on using it for! I don't think a Hunter is for me, but I'm sure while on a mooring I would love most of the layouts. One has to wonder that with all the Hunter bashers how can Hunter continue to remain in business if the boats turely are so bad!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 05:24   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
I have to agree with Mr Lucas and sv Mystique. First the problem with the new Hunter delivery seems more a problem with the dealer than Hunter, compounded by poor understanding, planning and negotiations by the buyer.

Second as Mr Lucas points out, get the right tool for the job. I do not feel like the Hunter is the right boat for me and my long term plans but I also felt like it was a great boat for the 10 day charter I did to the Bahamas. Lots of room and amenities, lots of cabins and bunks, open and light interior, just overall very comfortable and livable. If I were choosing a boat for coastal cruising, island hopping, comfortable liveaboard and a great value the Hunter could fit the bill.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 06:33   #21

Boat: Newport 28 MKII
On one of our 6 BVI bareboat charters, I asked the charter co mgr why they do not use Hunters. His response was that while they tried several, they just can't take the beating and continuous use as well as the Beneteaus for 5+ years before they leave the fleet, resulting is unhappy owners blaming the charter company maintenance program. He said that it was easy for charterers to damage the sails on the swept back spreaders, poor access though not impossible) to many maintenance areas that require fast repairs for a quick turnaround and lighter-duty standard deck hardware. He also said lots of spider cracks in the gelcoat were common, but was not sure if that was from the tropical sun or the hull & deck flexing. He thought they would be ok for private use, but not for charter service. Only saw a couple of Catalinas in charter, but it is obvious Beneteau dominates the monohull bareboat market in the BVI's. Florida Yacht Charters in Miami charters Hunters and they go over to the Bahamas and the Keys. That might work for you.

Steve W.
Steve W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 07:00   #22
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
I obviously dont go in for half boats, but I chartered a Hunter (36/38 ft) in the whitsundays a few years back, it was by far and away the best Mono I had chartered up there. Sailed okay, great sun protection, good comfort easy to have the family on. Not saying its better than any other sinker, just that I have a good chartering experience on it.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 07:14   #23

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Factor,

"any other sinker"---I luv it!! LOL
Blue Stocking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 07:38   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by svnatasha View Post
If you really want to know about Hunters, Beneteaus, & Jenneaus, talk to some delivery skippers who bring them out of charter to their new owners.
exactly
Old 19-10-2009, 12:11   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
He's splatter that post all over the net. And without hearing both sides of the story its difficult to work out much.
Here ya go -- this is the original thread which I meant to link to, the broker does respond here so you can get part of the other side of the story as well as more info as to the buyer's problems.

The New Hunter Experiernce - SailboatOwners.com

Seems pretty clear to me that this buyer has a right to be upset ...
fishfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 13:36   #26
CLOD

Boat: none
I only read some of that looooong link. Besides money this is a reason I wouldn't buy a brand new boat (don't even buy brand new cars anymore). I have read in many places that you should have your brand new brand indepentently surveyed prior to accepting delivery.
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 13:51   #27
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Delivery guy I know (30 years exp) told a tale of a Hunter he was delivering to the USVI where the traveller tore out of the deck crossing the Gulf Stream.

'Nuf, said.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 13:58   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
sounds like an urban myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&S View Post
Delivery guy I know (30 years exp) told a tale of a Hunter he was delivering to the USVI where the traveller tore out of the deck crossing the Gulf Stream.

'Nuf, said.
With very few exceptions, Hunter doesn't install travelers on decks. The travelers are installed on an arch mounted aft on the cockpit coaming and the hull.
Old 19-10-2009, 14:03   #29

Wow, sure seems like the boat was not prepped and the dealer bungled it big time. Sad to see a story like that since Hunter seems to be a good company building a good product.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 14:07   #30
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
With very few exceptions, Hunter doesn't install travelers on decks. The travelers are installed on an arch mounted aft on the cockpit coaming and the hull.
My understanding (I wasn't there) was that that was what let go. In any event, it made for a bad day out.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter