Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 20:45   #226
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Probably me, we have an ongoing love-hate relationship.
Oh not at all.....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 20:46   #227

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Probably me, we have an ongoing love-hate relationship.
Figures you'd try and take all the credit.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 20:48   #228

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Oh not at all.....
Oh good. Pick me, pick me!
Old 05-01-2015, 21:14   #229

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I lived in Southern California for over 30 years, not far from where this happened in Huntington Beach and Long Beach. The forecasts for Santa Ana winds can be quite fickle. Sometimes when they're predicted, they never materialize. Sometimes come in at double strength other times they're nothing more than a very light onshore warm breeze. I'm sure most everyone was caught off guard that day. There's no way that every one of those boat owners are going to take the ferry over to Avalon and move their boats to the other side of the island every time the Santa Ana winds are forecast, plus.... there really isn't anywhere else to anchor. The depth drops off to over 100 feet within a 100 yards or so most everywhere around the island. Another issue... there are few boat owners actually on their boats or in Avalon this time of year.... it's the off season.

Check your charts and know what you're talking about before accusing the unfortunates of poor seamanship.
Well, there just might have been a spot in Cat harbour...

Look, if Avalon is exposed to Santa Ana winds, and sometimes these winds are damn strong, and you live far away and can't take responsibility for your boat in the case of bad SA winds... then to me, leaving your boat there is questionable seamanship. Be kinda like me leaving my boat on a mooring in teh Whitsundays during cyclone season (our "off" season). Some folks do just that, and nearly every year a few come to grief. Some years a LOT have come to grief. So, even though there might be some advantage, cruising-wise, to leaving her there, we don't.

So, Ken, I have checked the charts (I've even sailed there myself) and while I "ain't an expert", I sorta know what I'm talking about... I think!

Jim
Old 05-01-2015, 21:23   #230
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Interesting that all seem to look for fault in design, engineering, weather forcasters, mooring configuration, etc... whatever happened to using prudent judgement and solid mariner intelligence when it comes to keeping you and your vessel safe? Everyone seems to blame anything other than their own lack of seamanship, marine knowledge and sensible actions when it comes to the ocean. I can't believe that insurance companies would pay off under such circumstances! With weather forecasts being more accurate by the year, any prudent mariner would ensure that their anchoring/mooring position would be more than adequate to handle the weather or they should get the hell out of there and find a more sheltered anchorage or get away from land, hove to and hang on. Phil
I'm sure all here are in agreement with that...

But some seem to want to ignore what that particular 'Crash Test' revealed about the engineering and construction of that boat - as if to look at at a compact car completely crushed in an accident, but react with "But that doesn't COUNT, it's a poor example of the crash-worthiness of the vehicle, the driver was DRUNK, after all..." :-)

Too bad the photos I mentioned earlier have disappeared from the web... They showed with much greater clarity the remaining structure of the inside of the boat's bow. There was no additional layup whatsoever to be seen in the vicinity of the stem. The hollow bulbous toe rail looked very thinly constructed to my eye... One could clearly see there was no structure whatsoever to prevent - once the anchor chain jumped the roller - it from easily sawing it's way downward thru the hull...

There was one shot of the anchor roller and stem fitting lying in the sand... It almost looked like it could have been sitting in the Hunter factory, awaiting installation on a boat under construction. It did not appear to be bent, or damaged, in the slightest... Which only reinforces how poorly conceived that entire anchor platform/stem fitting really is, and what a mismatch it was for the hull and deck structure itself, that it could have torn the stem apart like that, while hardly suffering a scratch...

But again, some will always prefer to believe what they want to believe, convinced that that a gargantuan prod like this represents sound engineering in an anchor roller, and one robustly constructed to "Go The Distance..."

:-)

Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 21:34   #231
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
I'm sure all here are in agreement with that...

But some seem to want to ignore what that particular 'Crash Test' revealed about the engineering and construction of that boat - as if to look at at a compact car completely crushed in an accident, but react with "But that doesn't COUNT, it's a poor example of the crash-worthiness of the vehicle, the driver was DRUNK, after all..." :-)

Too bad the photos I mentioned earlier have disappeared from the web... They showed with much greater clarity the remaining structure of the inside of the boat's bow. There was no additional layup whatsoever to be seen in the vicinity of the stem. The hollow bulbous toe rail looked very thinly constructed to my eye... One could clearly see there was no structure whatsoever to prevent - once the anchor chain jumped the roller - it from easily sawing it's way downward thru the hull...

There was one shot of the anchor roller and stem fitting lying in the sand... It almost looked like it could have been sitting in the Hunter factory, awaiting installation on a boat under construction. It did not appear to be bent, or damaged, in the slightest... Which only reinforces how poorly conceived that entire anchor platform/stem fitting really is, and what a mismatch it was for the hull and deck structure itself, that it could have torn the stem apart like that, while hardly suffering a scratch...

But again, some will always prefer to believe what they want to believe, convinced that that a gargantuan prod like this represents sound engineering in an anchor roller, and one robustly constructed to "Go The Distance..."

:-)

Too much logic. I predict it won't be popular here.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 21:44   #232
cruiser

Here's the bow roller of a Hunter pulling up some nasty stuff near Puerto Eden, Chile as it makes its way to Cape Horn.

They even have a full cockpit enclosure. Don't know how they managed...

Oh - and here you can see that they still haven't added that 3/16" SS plating inside the anchor locker to protect the hull from getting chewed up by a chain when they land on a beach in a hurricane.

Fools.

Nice view though...

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 22:31   #233

I think I am lost. Did the boat relating to this thread that sank lose its bow cleat? If it did is that what caused the sinking, or did something else cause the water ingress? The boat on the beach. Did lose its anchor roller at anchor? Did the damage to the bow happen whilst at anchor?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 22:44   #234

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I think I am lost. Did the boat relating to this thread that sank lose its bow cleat? If it did is that what caused the sinking, or did something else cause the water ingress? The boat on the beach. Did lose its anchor roller at anchor? Did the damage to the bow happen whilst at anchor?

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
We don't yet know if the bow cleat was lost, if that's what caused the sinking, why somebody purportedly posted on Facebook that a bow cleat failure caused the sinking, or who the a**hole is.
Old 05-01-2015, 23:02   #235
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
We don't yet know if the bow cleat was lost, if that's what caused the sinking, why somebody purportedly posted on Facebook that a bow cleat failure caused the sinking, or who the a**hole is.

I think we can all surmise that last one.

Old 05-01-2015, 23:11   #236

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I think we can all surmise that last one.
Yes, of course, but going with the most obvious candidate eliminates all the suspense.
Old 05-01-2015, 23:39   #237

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Here's the bow roller of a Hunter pulling up some nasty stuff near Puerto Eden, Chile as it makes its way to Cape Horn.

They even have a full cockpit enclosure. Don't know how they managed...

Oh - and here you can see that they still haven't added that 3/16" SS plating inside the anchor locker to protect the hull from getting chewed up by a chain when they land on a beach in a hurricane.

Fools.

Nice view though...

One thing Sequitur's owner found out for certain on that trip around the Horn was that his anchor winch was not up to the riqours of the conditions. (How many times did be have to repair his winch??) The weakest link generally fails first and those pictures are of a 49ft Hunter so I imagine the laminates in the bow are considerably beefier than the Hunter that ended up on the beach and quite possibly far removed from the structure of the vessel on the beach. They would need to be.

Smack, using pictures of a different vessel is misleading when you did not indicate it was a different vessel.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 23:39   #238
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Yes, of course, but going with the most obvious candidate eliminates all the suspense.

It is a list too; that implies multiple candidates. I'm sure we'll never know, as that would probably break forum rules. So I wouldn't hold my breath.

Old 05-01-2015, 23:59   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
It is a list too; that implies multiple candidates. I'm sure we'll never know, as that would probably break forum rules. So I wouldn't hold my breath.
You're probably right, although I figured the comment itself would have turned the lights off and was counting down along with Neil.
Old 06-01-2015, 05:59   #240

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
That is funny!! OK I admit it I am a follower, I've tried to quit and have even gone through a 10 step program of factor tours at HR, Oyster and Contest but I still can't seem to stop my deep desire to own a Hunter. Smack is like a god to me and leads me in places I have never been, its like I can't seem to get through a day without his guidance!
I'm going to give it another try, tomorrow!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Actually this would make a good thread for Smack to work on. He could find pictures of all the entry level boats and their anchoring systems and then compare them with some "Blue water" boats and we could all learn something. He is the only guy that has the time and energy to do this job and I think it would be a great project. PS I already know there is another place they use fender washers!
Oh Robert, Robert, Robert - off the wagon so soon?

You know your addiction is out of control when you are not only hooked on smackdaddy threads, but actually proposing new ones.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catalina, hunter