Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-01-2015, 18:25   #511
cruiser

Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You have so much to teach us, Smack.

Have you reported to the Hunter owner, his insurance co., the harbormaster's office, the Hunter Corp., and the City of Avalon, CA, your "finding" that it was in fact the aft mooring penDant that directly caused the sinking and not the bow cleat as previously surmised? I'm sure they're all anxiously awaiting your expert opinion.
Too busy...I'm having a scotch in my saloon.

They'll figure it out.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:32   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

They'll figure it out.
Hunters don't have saloons! Or salons. They have kitchens... and dining rooms... and bathrooms...
Jeeezzz!

And you should be drinking Wild Turkey or something...
KnuckleDragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:41   #513
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnuckleDragger View Post
Hunters don't have saloons! Or salons. They have kitchens... and dining rooms... and bathrooms...
Jeeezzz!

And you should be drinking Wild Turkey or something...
Heh-heh. Well done sir.

I broke up the ice with my bow cleat. I hope I didn't damage it.
Old 09-01-2015, 18:51   #514

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:

They'll figure it out.
In your saloon, or your salon?

Ed. Rats -- Knuckledragger beat me to it.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 18:54   #515

Quote:
Heh-heh. Well done sir.

I broke up the ice with my bow cleat. I hope I didn't damage it.
I prefer to use my corroding aluminum backing plates, (and a gin and tonic) while sprawled in my queen sized aft "bedroom", but to each his own...
Old 09-01-2015, 18:56   #516

Quote:
In your saloon, or your salon?

Ed. Rats -- Knuckledragger beat me to it.
Old 09-01-2015, 18:56   #517

Quote:
I prefer to use my corroding aluminum backing plates, (and a gin and tonic) while sprawled in my queen sized aft "bedroom", but to each his own...
Plenty of hand holds I hope?
Old 09-01-2015, 19:01   #518

Quote:
Plenty of hand holds I hope?
If things get rough, I'll just clutch my pillows a call for mommy...
Old 09-01-2015, 19:13   #519

Quote:
If things get rough, I'll just clutch my pillows a call for mommy...
Figures. I've heard rumors those fancy-ass boats come with factory installed sat phones along with their pricey bronze seacocks. Scotch too, from what I hear. Must be part of the snob appeal.
Old 09-01-2015, 19:34   #520

Quote:
Figures. I've heard rumors those fancy-ass boats come with factory installed sat phones along with their pricey bronze seacocks. Scotch too, from what I hear. Must be part of the snob appeal.
You must have me confused with someone else. I own a meager 2008 Hunter 38. Bronze seacocks, yes. But I had to buy my own sat phone. No Scotch, but my broker gave me a bottle of Sailor Jerry's FWIW...
And, yes, plenty of handholds despite what one might read here.
Old 10-01-2015, 01:09   #521

Boat: Cal 34-III

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I wouldn't take that bet. The aft pendant may have been in bad condition and thus parted sooner than otherwise. The forward pendant wasn't a failure point. But ultimately it was the skipper's fault - aside from my previous reasons, he chose to trust his vessel to those moorings. It was his decision to accept them as is, and not add more lines or move out of the moorings. I realize this may be getting old but it really was down to failures of the skipper. Harsh - yes. But the truth.

Greg
I ultimately agree with you....because of the fact that the pendent failed, and without knowing all the details/rumors shared thru the pages, I chose to bet that it was damaged or undersized... which points the finger directly at the person who trusted it, without actually pointing the finger

which rolls back to the intent of my first post on the subject..... the equipment/boat is not likely to be the problem, but the problem is caused by the person who made the decision to use the equipment.
he either wasnt experienced enough to know better, or he just didnt care enough to pay attention to the equipment. and by that he allowed the failure to happen, which set off the chain of events.

makes no difference in all the world what kind of boat he owned...
Old 10-01-2015, 01:51   #522

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I wasn't intending to be critical of your post, only extending its logic.

Here is where we might disagree a bit. I don't see "probably" belonging in that sentence. The responsibility falls on the skipper - full stop. I don't mean to be pedantic here; the distinction is important. Sailors on their home turf tend to be a bit complacent. Seasoned cruisers have learned to identify threats and act to deal with them on a timely basis, even if that is inconvenient to their plans, sleep, or bank balance. Both legally and traditionally the skipper is absolutely responsible for the safety of boat and crew as his #1 job, and experienced skippers live and breathe that fact. Noobs often dismiss that as "too serious" - this is about having fun. Until it isn't. The trick to cruising is to take the serious steps to be safe while enjoying the rest - not ignore the threats and just kick back and enjoy. Getting this right is very important IMHO.

Greg
This is a truism - that many seem to either forget or choose to ignore. Ultimately, the skipper bears the final responsibility for his(her- no discrimination here) boat.

Right now we have a hurricain coming through Denmark (the 2nd one in two days!). Because I am one of the most fortunate sailors in the world, my boat is docked right outside my ktichen door (30 feet across my patio to the boat). It ahs 6 25mm lines with dogbones holding to the pilings/dock and I've a couple of reserve lines from the boat hanging loose to another set of piling (just in case the first lines or pilings fail).

If the worst happens - whose fault is it? Actually mine, even though I feel I've done my utmost to protect the boat. But sh*t does happen.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 07:05   #523
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldFrog75 View Post
It's a mooring penDant. A penNant is a three-sided flag usually attached to a stay, shroud, or flag pole.
Well, I've heard them used interchangeably, but someone may wish to set these guys up in Marblehead straight... :-)

And, let them know it's "chafing", not "chaffing", as well... :-)

Willard and Sons Inc. - Mooring Pennants and Custom Splicing

Quote:
Willard and Sons, Inc. is Marblehead's premier mooring service company. We service over one thousand moorings annually in Marblehead and surrounding harbors and work daily with the Marblehead Harbormaster. A family owned and operated business, we pride ourselves on offering our customers the best products as well as quick and efficient service.
Our main business is the upkeep of our customers moorings. Most customers sign an annual service contract which includes two yearly inspections of the mooring equipment, as well as storage of pennants and pick up buoys during the off season.

Starting in 2013 all new mooring pennants will come standard with Suncor Stainless Steel Thimbles.
The Cyclone Mooring Pennant is a two part pennant made from New England Ropes STS-12 line (formerly Endura-12) coupled to a standard nylon double braid lower. STS-12 is made from Dyneema fibers which are incredibly strong and abrasion resistant.
Advantages over a standard Nylon Double Braid Pennant
  • Higher tensile strength of STS-12 means smaller diameter lines can be used
  • Ultra-low elongation of STS-12 helps prevent heat related failures and chaffing near chocks and cleats.
  • STS-12 line floats making it easier to pick up from a boat.
  • Top and bottom sections come apart allowing for a damaged section to be replaced without scraping the entire pennant.
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2015, 08:46   #524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, I've heard them used interchangeably, but someone may wish to set these guys up in Marblehead straight... :-)

Makes me feel a bit better about asking what I thought was a dumb question. Now if I can only get Knuckledragger to put down his glass of Sailor Jerry's long enough to explain the "salon" vs. "saloon" thing. The good news is that, on one of these threads, I think someone pointed out that a through-"hull" is not the same as a port-"hole." But heck, even I knew that one.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:50   #525
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post

Yep, there are all kinds of dopes out there. Here's the leading supplier of the things - Samson:

Mooring Pendants

And here is the very apropos supplier "Rope Dope" - which spells it correctly in the actual link - AND IN THE TITLE IMAGE FOR THE PAGE, but then spells it all dopey all over the rest of the page:

mooring pennants

Gotta love it. I can see why Exile was confused.

Tags
catalina, hunter