Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-01-2015, 16:11   #196
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Hunter sinks at Catalina due to bow cleat failure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
Well, that is simply my OPINION, informed by my experience... You, or anyone else, is free to disagree, of course...

I happen to believe that the potential for compromising the structure of the foredeck and stem of a yacht intended for passagemaking by replacing a significant portion of said foredeck with a non-structural removable lid is a poor bit of design and engineering... As always, others are free to disagree, or believe what they wish to believe...

Excellent use of a photo to made a claim on something completely different that what you trying to argue!!!!!

Since I remember that photo and the story. An idiot who happens to own a Hunter ignores hurricane warnings and last minute decides to try to out run it. Doesn't make it so drops anchor in exposed location. Anchor chain proceeds to saw the bow of the boat off................. Must be a Hunter design problem
Old 05-01-2015, 16:30   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Excellent use of a photo to made a claim on something completely different that what you trying to argue!!!!!

Since I remember that photo and the story. An idiot who happens to own a Hunter ignores hurricane warnings and last minute decides to try to out run it. Doesn't make it so drops anchor in exposed location. Anchor chain proceeds to saw the bow of the boat off................. Must be a Hunter design problem
Actually if you take a real good look at how far Hunter cantilevers its anchor roller and the weight of the material they use in my eyes I could easily see the whole thing being ripped off under load. A good offshore boat needs a very strong anchoring system. I have seen a couple of other non Hunter boats with the same results on our cruise through the South Pacific and actually helped one guy by using my zip cutter to re!move his so he could anchor his boat and this was on an expensive cruiser.
robert sailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:35   #198

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Strength and integrity of the anchoring system is at the heart of and seaworthy bluewater cruising vessel. A key system.

Whether it be the anchor/rode/winch or the strength of the mountings of the system and it seems some are not up to scratch and older vessels may need maintaince.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:49   #199
CLOD

Wow now people are trying to say if a boat can not anchor out exposed during Hurricane Sandy it must be a design build problem.

You guys are just unbelievable.
Old 05-01-2015, 16:49   #200
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Why don't you tell the rest of the story on the above, Jon? I'll wait.
The rest of the story?

What, you mean the part about the owner defecating in the back seat of a police car?

:-))
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 16:56   #201

Quote:
Wow now people are trying to say if a boat can not anchor out exposed during Hurricane Sandy it must be a design build problem.

No reason to take it personally but you did hear the poster say that he dropped the anchor when the winds were 40 knots hardly hurricane wind speeds. We have had 40 knots wind speed at anchor several times. Anchoring systems on offshore yachts that are built to a high standard are not cheap and lets not kid ourselves... these entry level sailboats don't put very much money into robust anchoring systems, none of them.
Old 05-01-2015, 17:01   #202
CLOD

Unbelievable! Another great example of taking a internet post as fact if you don't know the story.

Don't you guys have anything to do useful to the forum? Is all you can do is search for things to trash something even if you have to twist the real facts? You really feel this is making you look like knowledge people with useful advise to anyone other than another hater?
Old 05-01-2015, 17:05   #203
Eternal Member

Quote:

No one is saying that... And, it was Hurricane Irene, actually... The center of which was nowhere near Hampton Roads when this incident occurred, as mentioned previously the sustained winds had not yet reached gale force by the time the damage was done...

If you prefer to ignore what the pics reveal about the boat's constuction in the vicinity of the stem, fine... Looked pretty light to my eye, but what do I know? :-)

Too bad a more detailed and illustrative gallery of images published at the time is no longer online... Anyone subscribed to The Wayback Machine might try plugging this link in:

http://www.sailcheers.com/The%20one%...get%20away.htm
Jon Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:15   #204

Actually this would make a good thread for Smack to work on. He could find pictures of all the entry level boats and their anchoring systems and then compare them with some "Blue water" boats and we could all learn something. He is the only guy that has the time and energy to do this job and I think it would be a great project. PS I already know there is another place they use fender washers!
Old 05-01-2015, 17:35   #205

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor
Actually this would make a good thread for Smack to work on. He could find pictures of all the entry level boats and their anchoring systems and then compare them with some "Blue water" boats and we could all learn something. He is the only guy that has the time and energy to do this job and I think it would be a great project. PS I already know there is another place they use fender washers!
Speaking of fender washers; has there been any studies on which washers are the best? I can't recall if PS ever did a comparison test. Hmmmm???
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 17:56   #206

Boat: Beneteau 393

And to think I came here hoping to get some real info/cruiser's gouge on the Avalon storm...
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:12   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatketch33 View Post
Speaking of fender washers; has there been any studies on which washers are the best? I can't recall if PS ever did a comparison test. Hmmmm???
Fender washers! What's the matter with a little soap and some elbow grease? It doesn't really take much work at all to keep your fenders clean, why complicate your life with another whiz-bang contraption just for this one purpose? You have to buy it and store it, and keep it lubricated and maintained. Probably have to replace the brushes every once in a while too. And then there's the extension cord to dig out of the laz,.. I can think of a thousand reasons not to buy a fender washer at all. Especially if you have a sail boat! You're supposed to stow those ugly things after you leave the dock anyway, instead of leaving them flip-flapping from your rail, ugh! Even clean ones look like hell hung out there like you're some damn tugboat!
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:21   #208
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryon View Post
Even clean ones look like hell hung out there like you're some damn tugboat!
In your opinion.
On my boat, they double the value
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:38   #209
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Eisberg View Post
The rest of the story?

What, you mean the part about the owner defecating in the back seat of a police car?

:-))
That was definitely a very good part of the story...but, alas, no. The bottom line is you're not being completely honest about this incident (and resulting damage) - and the photos show it.

First, as to the "40-mile-per-hour wind"...that might be true as for when the whole thing started, but here is the photo of the actual rescue:

There is enough wind to shred the genny - and that sea-state is pretty damn nasty. Does that look like F7 to you?

Now, notice the anchor line running off to port? Look at what happens as the boat turns in the pounding surf - from the photo you posted:

Anchor roller is still attached, but as sailorboy pointed out, the other anchor chain has already sawed the hull apart in the surf and that other line to port is pulling the anchor roller off the boat.

Then you end up with this after many, many more hours beating in that surf - which was even worse that what was in that rescue photo above:

As you say, it was a very, very bad move by the skipper. The boat had nothing to do with this damage.

If anchoring off an exposed beach in a hurricane is how you think sailboats should be used - and, therefore, designed and built to that spec...you have the wrong boat yourself.

The good thing is, I can definitely see how Keno's anchoring experience on a Hunter could happen in this scenario.

You "blue water guys" - knock yourselves out. Just take video when you do it. I really want to watch.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 18:39   #210

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgewaldii View Post
Indeed the thread is well insulated from any facts that may be pertinent to the incident described in the first post. The loss of the boat would have required the filing of an incident report. Could be found here. https://cgmix.uscg.mil/iir
wgewaldii,

I tried to use the link, but couldn't get it to work. Thanks for trying to help.

Ann

Tags
catalina, hunter