Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 11:12   #46

Re: Hunter Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I see statements like this quite regularly, and I always think "why would anyone buy a boat they didn't like from the getgo"? One needs not own a vessel to evaluate its features, both good and bad, and if the balance comes up canted towards the "bad" purchase is unlikely IMO.

This is not in specific reference to Hunters or any other marque, but rather a general philosophy about deciding on what boat to purchase.

Jim

Sure, but there are also quite a few people trashing brands they don't own, when the brand they do own is a comparable class of boat.

Which puts the commentary in the company of feelings about sports teams and political parties, as opposed to technical evaluation.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 15:39   #47

Here is a sailor that ditched his Hunter 31 for a Conessa 26.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruising/cruising-with-a-smaller-boat
tecmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 15:55   #48

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Diamond View Post
Most people who participate actively in forums like this have no shortage of opinion and are biased towards Water boats">blue water boats. I owned an older Hunter 33 and it was great as my first large boat. I stayed coastal and was learning the systems and what I liked and disliked.

A 42 is a much bigger boat with more complex systems, but it all depends upon what you will use it for. I would not sail around the world or into the roaring 40's with it, but as a coastal boat it can be fine.

As a rule (my opinion) Hunters tend to be tender and pound quite a bit in a chop. They are fair weather boats by and large and I would be prepared for getting bounced around in rough weather.

Rick
Hylas 49-057
S/V Black Diamond
Portsmouth, RI
Rick, I also started out with a Hunter 33' (1980 build I think). Then wound up with Hylas 49 #53 quite a coincidence. To the OP. I also thoroughly enjoyed learning to sail a keelboat in the Hunter. It was a basic boat, not terribly well built but fit for the bays I sailed in. I later was looking for a far more capable boat and spent a good amount of time studying the Hunter Passage 430 and 450 boats before concluding that they were not suitable, the interior fittings were stylish but flimsy and would likely break when fallen against (this does happen, not frequently but it does happen). They are built to a fine price point and it does show. For a better boat IMO at a similar price I would pick a Catalina, or if I had a bit more money a Jeaneau/Beneteau.
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 18:29   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecmo View Post
Here is a sailor that ditched his Hunter 31 for a Conessa 26.

https://www.sailmagazine.com/cruisin...a-smaller-boat
I have no idea what the gentleman wishes to do with the Contessa 32. The Hunter will be quite a bit bigger and for coastal cruising might make more sense.
The contessa 32 is a go anywhere boat in any ocean. Its unbelieveable in the hashes of weather. It's been tested even sailing around Cape Horn against the wind. They are extremely pretty to the eye and an excellent sailing boat but they are I'm sure the smallest 32 footer built. I owned one for years
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 18:35   #50

Sorry folks I screwed up, thought it was a 32 but pretty clear it was the 26. Great little boat the 26, little being the key word. These boats have circumnavigated several times so very stout go anywhere boats.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 12:53   #51

I bought a 2005 Hunter 36 in 2007. I sail in the Chesapeake Bay, so I'm not doing any coastal or blue water sailing. I went to the Annapolis Boat Show in 05 and 06 to scout things. I was looking mainly at the production boats (Beneteau, Catalina, Jeanneau, Dufour, and Hunter for the most part). I had never sailed any of these boats and knew I'd need to take a little leap of faith on how they sailed and felt beyond the survey, obviously.

I liked all of the boats, but I wanted a boat that would sail well, but also had good interior volume and amenities for enjoying the Chesapeake Bay with my wife and two kids. If anything, I had preconceived notions against buying a Hunter. But I couldn't get away from the fact that it seemed to have a good design and a nice package of quality, a user friendly boat, nice interior, and decent value for the money. I was very happy with the boat for 12 years.

When I sold the 36 in 2018 and started looking for a new boat last year, I had decided in my mind that I would not buy a Hunter this time. Mainly because I had a wish list that included dual wheels and perhaps the more "Euro" feel and styling of Beneteau, Jeanneau and Dufour. I had ruled out Catalina. Just personally have never liked those boats down below.

Much to my surprise, when I looked at all the boats out there that were within my price range and other things I was looking for, I kept gravitating to the Hunters! Specifically, I liked the Hunter 41 AC from about 2005-2009. Not a huge fan of the look of the DS. I bought a 2005 Hunter 41 AC from Rhode Island and have loved it for the past year. I delivered her last June through the Long Island Sound, through NYC, and down the Atlantic to the Delaware Bay and Chesapeake Bay. The boat performed fantastically. She sails much better than I thought she would, very comfortable and great volume, and very stiff and sturdy. Cuts through the water well. My wife and I love this boat!

Thanks.
Sailboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 05:29   #52

Hi everyone
Anyone owned a hunter 27 pilot ,would like to hear your views
Thank you
369thegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 09:05   #53

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevmar View Post
I would like some feed back on the Hunter sailboat i am looking at a 42 footer about 1995...........
Fin keel boat with a large spade rudder and moderately heavy displacement. I have owned 3 Hunter sailboats...a 31 , 386 and now 46. My 2005 Hunter 46 has a lot of displacement and with her long water line is very maneuverable and comfortable to sail in winds up to 25 knots and 2 - 3 foot waves and heavy swells.
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 02:08   #54

Sorry to revive this old thread (again) but I am curios about the boat in the link below: I thought all Hunter "Marine" boats were built in USA ? (I know there is a different English Hunter company)
The ad says it was manufactured in the UK ?

https://yachts.apolloduck.ie/boat/hu...end-380/633658
carraigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 02:24   #55
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Some were built in the U.K. by luhrs marine a subsid of Hunter USA
Old 22-11-2020, 04:33   #56

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Hunter Marine build H38 in the UK around the year 2006. They found that building for the European market in the UK was cheaper and set up a production line somewhere in the UK. This only lasted 2 years as the dollar exchange rate changed again.

Here in the marina in Nice there were 4 H38 on the same jetty. Only one was a UK build boat and the owner was not happy with it, seemingly having osmose symptoms.

Setting up a new production line you will not have the know how that the guys in the US had. I personally would prefer a Hunter boat with a HIN hull number starting with US and not UK.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 06:37   #57

Boat: Beneteau 423, 43’

Interesting, someone should update Hunter’s Wikipedia page with this small but important detail
Fbfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 07:37   #58

FYI: This popped up in my youtube feed.

A pretty decent review of Hunter boats (ignore the title - this is not a Hunter bashing video).
tecmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 09:56   #59

I am looking at a 2007-2010 (The latter being prefered if I can find one) Hunter 49 as well as a Catalina 470, Beneteau 49, and 2003 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 49.

For some crazy reason, I keep coming back to the Hunter 49. It will be a part-time live abroad in California where sailing is year-round. I have never sailed one. I previously owned several Dufour models from 40 to 48, a Catalina 350, and a late 70's Cal.

There are a lot of Youtube videos of people sailing the Catalina 470 and it does seem very nice and the tall rig I think would suit my performance sailing requirements. Also, the other models mentioned here. it seems that the only "life experience" videos on the Hunter 49 are tours from yacht brokers selling them. Hmmm?

I used to race, now it is just about leave the marina and autopilot on, similar to the jets I used to fly after not long after gear-up. Anyway... All ocean sailing, up and down the Pacific Coast, Maybe Transpac 2023 or at least a Hawaii passage about the same time.

The only thing I can gather just in conversation is that the boat seems to have quite a bit of weather helm and you have to watch the main on the swept-back spreaders and it is slow in picking up speed on the tack. I would be looking at the tall rig full keel that I understand does add considerable performance. I have never sailed a B&R rig..

Can anybody here with experience on the Hunter 49 for any length of time, provide some insights accordingly? Much appreciated!
Bluesmoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2021, 13:23   #60
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Know nothing about a 49. But my 2001 410 has hardy any weather helm.

You should has on the Hunter site as you are just going to get stories here for most part

https://forums.sailboatowners.com/forums/big-boats.40/

Tags
grass, hunter