Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 14:02   #31

Re: Hunter, Catalina to sail Caribbean

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosatte View Post
Also a catalina 34 is actually 35 and a half ft. Long
Sorry, nope. 34'-6"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 14:24   #32

Boat: Boatless

While folks have crossed oceans in Hunters and Catalinas, they are not made for that use. I once read that a man crossed the Pacific lashed to a log, but would one do so? With the brands you are considering, you'll be tempting the devil. water sailing">Blue water sailing is much more comforting in a blue water boat. It is nice to know that the weakest thing on the boat is yourself. There is a good reason that most blue water boats cost a bit more than coastal or lake boats like Hunters or Catalinas. They are made better. When its blowing 40+ and you're 100s of miles off shore, I'll want to be in neither brand. You may make it and likely would, but why take those risk.

There are good off shore boats for sale. Buy once and buy smart.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 14:37   #33

Boat: Hunter 410

See raconteursouthbound@blogspot.com. Check out the log. Sailed her happily from Chesapeake to Trinidad and around the Eastern Caribbean. Hunter 410. More creaking than an Oyster I'm guessing, and we love her anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
jpsgirl96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 15:11   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

He's not talking crossing oceans or being hundreds of miles out to sea

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 15:17   #35

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

That is correct...want to sail from Daytona area Florida to Bahama's then to the Caribbean for about 2 winter months then back to Daytona.

If I get more adventurous than this then I would probably look at Island Packet or like boat. But the Caribbean has enough to offer for me.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 17:14   #36

Boat: Boatless

If you take the Thorny Path or Thornless Path, aka motoring from island to island at night, you may need more than two months and likely won't see much of the Caribbean. It is my understanding that there are lots of boat in Georgetown, aka Chicken Harbor, having grown tired of hammering to windward.

One option that has lots of open sea and more miles to sail but less time is to get there by sailing East-north-east from Daytona to about 30*N+ and then sailing a broad arc to the northern Leeward Islands. This is a combination of Don Street's recommendations for getting to the Caribbean from Jacksonville and Moorehead City. Take a look at the Pilot Charts for December and you'll see that you should have Westerlies until you turn Southeast when you can target a ride down route 65.

The Bahamas are truly beautiful and a wonderful place to sail, but you'll likely enjoy them more when sailing in them on the way home with the wind abaft the bean, not hard on the nose.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 17:49   #37

Boat: Tartan 3700 CCR

You will be fine until you hit heavy weather. If you just happen to hit an unexpected storm then younwillwish you had a heavier, stronger boat. Hunter and Catalina are fine for weekend cruising. Just think for a minute, how many of those light weight production boats cross the Atlantic ?
DougAnnapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 17:59   #38

Actually lots of the entry level production boats cross the Atlantic, pretty easy sailing most of the time. Higher latitudes maybe not so much.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 05:13   #39

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

I have a 1990 Hunter legend 37.5. I love her! She does fine in sustained 25 knot winds and 8 foot seas. She needs to be reefed early, but is a great boat. In June we are heading into the Atlantic for an ARC rally. I have chartered many boats, and have found most of the production boats I have sailed (Bene, Hunter, Jeanneau) hold up fine in Caribbean storms. I just happened to like Hunters (grew up sailing a 32 foot Hunter from Chesapeake to Northern Maine and back many times), so I bought a Legend series. I found the Legend series to be slightly more performance oriented while still being a cruising boat. She is roomy enough for my wife, three kids and two dogs. Not palatial, but everyone has a spot. We have no trouble, fully loaded, hitting 7.5 knots. To get over 8 knots takes some coaxing, and serious sail trimming, again fully loaded. Tons and tons of storage, and the tankage is good for two weeks at a time if you had to stretch it. One week is easy for not having to touch land. And yes.....we have some creeking. Mostly the gooseneck on the boom if we are going DDW. I tend not to use oil based lubricants to avoid dust and dirt attraction to the afflicted area.

Sent from my XT1254 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 07:02   #40

How about brite-white so I can arrives looking pure as the driven snow!
Birdsailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 10:26   #41

Boat: American Tug

We love our 2005 Catalina 350. More than sturdy, safe and seaworthy enough for what you're talking about as your mission.
dochip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 11:56   #42

Are Catalina's a step up from a Hunters? Where does Beneteau fit in? I guess I should of asked who makes the best mass produced boats. I looked at all three boats last year at the Annapolis Boat show. Could not go this year.

Without really digging into things all three looked good to me.

Old 13-10-2015, 14:58   #43

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If you like a particular boat, get it. They're all different, some better here, worse there, whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 17:16   #44

Ok...I have to ask. There are sailboats that are 'blue water' meaning they can cross oceans. Now, I took a commercial cruise shop thru the Caribbean. I could not see land and it sure looked like the ocean to me.

So if Hunter and Catalina boats are ok for the Caribbean...

Is it that the water never gets too rough for a Hunter/Catalina or is it that rescue is never that far away?

I am hoping the water never gets too rough.

Old 13-10-2015, 17:26   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Ok...I have to ask. There are sailboats that are 'blue water' meaning they can cross oceans. Now, I took a commercial cruise shop thru the Caribbean. I could not see land and it sure looked like the ocean to me.

So if Hunter and Catalina boats are ok for the Caribbean...

Is it that the water never gets too rough for a Hunter/Catalina or is it that rescue is never that far away?

I am hoping the water never gets too rough.

Yes... it's a great question. Especially since many opinions differ on this forum regarding type of boat for blu water.
So I will offer this:
-For your trip, your longest exposure to open water will be less than a day. Mostly less than 12 hours probably.
-Could you get in trouble in that time? yes. Some of the channels etc (Mona Passage, Gulf Stream etc) can get VERY rough, due to wind direction, currents etc.
-Is it likely ? NO. Not if you pay attention to the weather, maintain your boat and know how to sail it. etc.
- It is a much different thing to head across thousands of miles of open ocean. The weather changes, even from predictions...... when you are out there for a week or month. Also, fatigue, cold rough weather take a toll on you.
-If you get in more severe weather for a long duration, the odds that a thinner hull will flex badly, a spade rudder will be compromised etc go up the more pounding a light boat takes.
-There are deficits to a heavy boat also. Sooner or later you "pays your money and you takes your chances"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, catalina, hunter, rib, sail