Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-01-2018, 13:51   #31

Re: Hunter - Blue-water or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2cruz View Post
As far as a boat with a following, any suggestions - Hans Christian???? Any specifics would be much appreciated!
Depends on your personal choice to some degree. I've enjoy looking at traditional designed boats but I'm not a great fan. There are a few exceptions, the Bristol Channel cutters sail quite well as do the Cape George cutters, both boats have large sail areas.
For the trip you are planning and the fact you want a quick sale at the end I'd probably stick with popular boat types, Hunters, Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Catalina and the like. If you find one in good condition, depending on your budget ld buy one say 5 to 10 years old. These boats always have a market with local coastal cruisers while boats like the Hans Christian's tend not to sail that well in lighter airs which predominant that area.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 13:58   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Depends on your personal choice to some degree. I've enjoy looking at traditional designed boats but I'm not a great fan. There are a few exceptions, the Bristol Channel cutters sail quite well as do the Cape George cutters, both boats have large sail areas.
For the trip you are planning and the fact you want a quick sale at the end I'd probably stick with popular boat types, Hunters, Beneteau, Jeanneau, Bavaria, Catalina and the like. If you find one in good condition, depending on your budget ld buy one say 5 to 10 years old. These boats always have a market with local coastal cruisers while boats like the Hans Christian's tend not to sail that well in lighter airs which predominant that area.
Thanks. I've been perusing some in the 37 to 38' range (Hunters).

Is it my imagination, or are boats considerably less-expensive in Florida? There is a shipping calculator on yachtworld.com listings, and it appears that it is about $5K to ship a boat from Florida to CA. Would that be on a train, and would it be worthwhile given the cost, and any possible additional damage unstopping and stepping the mast etc., involved in shipping such a boat?
Want2cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 14:06   #33

Quote:

I am determined to make the passage to Hawaii, though, from California - not via the big ditch. Mexico is out due to certain laws against certain things that go "bang, bang", which I am never without.

You may find the USA is the only country that allow you to pack. I have a bud that sailed his Hunter 49 from Canada to New Zealand then back to Mexico...just him & his wife. His boat is simple to single hand.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 14:17   #34

Quote:
Thanks. I've been perusing some in the 37 to 38' range (Hunters).

Is it my imagination, or are boats considerably less-expensive in Florida? There is a shipping calculator on yachtworld.com listings, and it appears that it is about $5K to ship a boat from Florida to CA. Would that be on a train, and would it be worthwhile given the cost, and any possible additional damage unstopping and stepping the mast etc., involved in shipping such a boat?
Boats are generally cheaper in Florida but to some extend you get what you pay for as that climate is hard on the cosmetic side of things. Gelcoat is faded,hatches are crazed,canvas is rotten, this sort of thing. Not every boat but like Hawaii, the climate is not friendly and things age much quicker. That's why boats further north draw a price premiem and in many cases it's worth it. Don't ever underestimate the power of cosmetics when you come to sell something. The PNW also draws a premiem, it's climate is much friendlier plus there are lots of people there that make very good money, it's a good place to sell a boat. Pick up a boat in California, not quite as hard a climate as Florida, it's warm but low humidity. It's the natural place to head to Hawaii.
Old 30-01-2018, 14:18   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
You may find the USA is the only country that allow you to pack. I have a bud that sailed his Hunter 49 from Canada to New Zealand then back to Mexico...just him & his wife. His boat is simple to single hand.
Hunter vs Beneteau, Compare and Contrast

Hunter seems to offer a more-modern appearance, Beneteau, more traditional. Hunter seems to be a bit less expensive.

Any thoughts on the quality of construction, seaworthiness of the two brands?
Old 30-01-2018, 14:18   #36

By the way boats are trucked.
Old 30-01-2018, 14:20   #37

Boat: Whitby 42

Go to Georgetown in the Exumas Bahamas. They have three volleyball courts made of Hunter masts. That includes the posts for the nets, the sides of the courts to keep the sand in and even the bleachers for everyone to sit on and watch the games. Doesn’t say much for the rig in my estimation.
macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 14:21   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eder View Post
I couldn't imagine being without the means of self-defense.
Old 30-01-2018, 14:22   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Boats are generally cheaper in Florida but to some extend you get what you pay for as that climate is hard on the cosmetic side of things. Gelcoat is faded,hatches are crazed,canvas is rotten, this sort of thing. Not every boat but like Hawaii, the climate is not friendly and things age much quicker. That's why boats further north draw a price premiem and in many cases it's worth it. Don't ever underestimate the power of cosmetics when you come to sell something. The PNW also draws a premiem, it's climate is much friendlier plus there are lots of people there that make very good money, it's a good place to sell a boat. Pick up a boat in California, not quite as hard a climate as Florida, it's warm but low humidity. It's the natural place to head to Hawaii.
What about a fresh-water boat? How much slower would a fresh-water boat age that one in salt water? Would that make a difference to you?
Old 30-01-2018, 14:26   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrae View Post
Go to Georgetown in the Exumas Bahamas. They have three volleyball courts made of Hunter masts. That includes the posts for the nets, the sides of the courts to keep the sand in and even the bleachers for everyone to sit on and watch the games. Doesn’t say much for the rig in my estimation.
Can't seem to find any confirmation of that on the web. Perhaps it is an urban (or "island") legend. How would one know what kind of boat a mast came from, anyway?
Old 30-01-2018, 14:36   #41

Boat: 1995 hunter 430

lol..... thats what I was thinking
Navicula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 14:41   #42

[QUOTE=Want2cruz;2566684]What about a fresh-water boat? How much slower would a fresh-water boat age that one in salt water? Would that make a difference to you?[/QUOTE

Freshwater boats age considerably slower than salt water boats. The other factor is that boats in the north are only used 6 months of the year and are hauled for the winter months. Makes a big difference in the aging process.]
Old 30-01-2018, 14:54   #43

Quote:
Can't seem to find any confirmation of that on the web. Perhaps it is an urban (or "island") legend. How would one know what kind of boat a mast came from, anyway?
Speaking of masts, are the masts in boats of this class stepped to the keel or to the deckhouse? I see the posts (often in a wood casing), but is that just a column taking the mast's downforce to the keel, or is a unitary extension of the mast?
Old 30-01-2018, 16:13   #44

Boat: Hunter 44DS

Our Hunter traveled from Canada to the Bahamas through the Pacific all the way to Australia over two years and survived
Akapeterc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2018, 16:43   #45

Boat: Pearson 424 Ketch

We bought a Hunter 33.5 off the boatshow floor back in '88. It was a great lake boat, but I wouldn't feel comfortable in less than good weather offshore.

We presently own a Pearson 424 ketch and keep it in Honolulu. Not many Hunter's of any size out here. Note that the boat market here is very slow with a wide selection of builds and lengths.
Kalinowski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, water