Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2008, 12:44   #1

Boat: Santana 22
Hunter 31 (1983 -1987)

Hey All... another what do you think thread...

So I am looking for a new coastal cruiser and came across the hunter 31. I must say the interior room is amazing for a small boat.

My question is: does anyone have any experience with this boat? How is it for costal cruising... short term live aboard... etc?

I don't really want to go past about 32 feet. Oh... Solo coastal cruising I should say.

Thanks in advance...

Oh, hull strength...?
Ebslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 12:59   #2

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Yes it's real roomy down below. One of the better Hunters of that era. One complaint if you're going to live aboard, no sump drain in the head for the shower. She'll do fine for coastal cruising.
Old 02-12-2008, 13:22   #3

The H31 is kind of a scaled down version of the H34. These are good old boats, fast, roomy, and easy to sail, but ......... well they're getting old. Potential problems are similar to those of other boats of this vintage: hatch, port, companionway leaks, mast step, deck, chain plates, etc.

For some owner reviews, go here:

HunterOwners.com

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 13:25   #4

Great, Thanks for the info...
Old 02-12-2008, 15:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would agree with everyone else with an emphasis on the age part. Nothing 25 years is is what it once was so you need to use caution selecting a boat that old. A well tended boat could be a very good option.

The overhaul costs could be prohibitive. Boats this old can be worthless if the cost to fix them up could be better spent on a different boat. It is the true meaning of worthless. It's the one trap you can get sucked into. Your hard work does not need to be considered when doing the numbers just the costs of materials alone can add up. Save the romance for the honeymoon after the boat is fully fitted.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 13:05   #6

very true and good advice. My concern is more about the starting condition. I don't really know a lot about the Hunter 31's. There is no sense trying to maintain a boat if it wasn't built well to begin with.

If the boats were good to begin with, then a well maintained boat should be a good boat. If the boats were bad in the begining.... then no amount of care is going to save it.
Old 09-08-2014, 16:16   #7

Re: Hunter 31 (1983 -1987)

hi, i caught the term coastal cruiser for this particular boat and does it mean that in no way its recommended to use it for longer distances?
Hart77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 16:42   #8

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

coastal term, it will take you farther than you will probably want to go. Each boat is different since some are maintained better that others but if overall good condition you will be fine assuming you have the skill. get out there have fun. the first time you pass the jetties is always a little nerve racking.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 22:03   #9

I had a H31, and lived aboard her for a little over a year. It was a great boat, and the most interior room I've ever seen on a boat that size. Really quick sailing, but doesn't like the rough weather too much....that doesn't mean I didn't sail her through some strong fronts out in Pacific, just she could be a handful in following seas and strong winds. I ultimately ended up selling her for a full keel cruiser and ended up sacrificing space for comfort at sea.

The biggest thing to watch for these boats is the compression post. Both the H34 and H31 are plagued with rotten posts and sinking compression arches. Luckily mine never showed any rot, but two other hunters at my Marina were not so lucky.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Cruisers Sailing Forum
Seattle Slewp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter