Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2020, 18:16   #1

Hunter 30 shoal vs regular keel?

Looking at taking the leap on our first boat. (Lake Michigan and Huron). Initially looked at a Morgan 28 (not an OI) that had the shoal draft w/cb. I have sailed a similar one years ago so was fairly familiar with it. Looks like we’ve missed out on that one. Also have been looking at the Hunter (yes, I knowwife prefers the cabin layout) 30. I liked the idea of the flexible draft on the Morgan. Looking at a few older Hunters in the 30’ range. Input on the shoal draft vs the regular keel specific to the Hunter would be appreciated. It’s only a foot. Thanks for any advice!
Roger
michigander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 20:31   #2

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Hunter 30 shoal vs regular keel?

Unless you need to go to a specific place where a shoal draft is needed, deeper keel is going to be better. Lake Michigan is quite deep and so is Lake Huron in general. I don’t remember any places there that would necessitate shoal draft. Even Lake Erie is deep enough. Most of it, anyway.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2020, 21:33   #3

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Welcome aboard michigander!
I know nothing about the Great Lakes, but if it were me and I was pretty sure I didn't need that 1 less foot of draft, I'd go for the deeper keel.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2020, 21:18   #4

Thank you both for your responses!
Old 01-08-2020, 01:21   #5

Go for the deepe keel iit will sail much better upwind.
Michael Cobbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Unless you need to go to a specific place where a shoal draft is needed, deeper keel is going to be better. Lake Michigan is quite deep and so is Lake Huron in general. I don’t remember any places there that would necessitate shoal draft. Even Lake Erie is deep enough. Most of it, anyway.
What Lost Horizons said. +1

I was going to be cheeky and just respond "how much do you like sailing?" But truly the point is that the lakes you'll be sailing in have nice wind and plenty of depth, so go with the full keel for increased safety and stability.

Good luck!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:03   #7

A bit of a thread hijack, but I think shoal drafts are a crap bill of goods. They're touted as a plus, but all you get is a boat that sails like a bathtub - for what? So you don't have to think about proper navigation in the Bahamas?

Hrumph.
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 03:52   #8

LittleWing77 thanks for your response as well! A little more on my thought process. Home base will be on a large lake ( freighter accessible) with access to Lake MI. With many similar lakes with harbor access to Lake MI nearby. I’m thinking of the added flexibility of anchorage options in those situations (coves, inlets, etc) that the shallower draft would allow ( wading to shore/ beaches). Also in the Georgian Bay/ North Channel area where the shallower draft would offer more access. Regarding the Morgan ( which might still be available��) it has a centerboard which gives a range of 3’ CB up to 6.67’ CB down. Probably even with CB down it still will not be as efficient as a comparable depth solid keel? And then regarding the Hunter, with them both being a fixed keel with only a foot difference is it probably is not worth sacrificing the sailability advantages to gain the extra foot? Or am I just way over thinking this? ( which is probably the case!).
Old 01-08-2020, 06:31   #9
CLOD

Boat: none

the only real difference sailing a shoal draft verse a deep draft on a boat with a properly designed keel is

the deep draft stands up to a wind gush better before heeling over more
Old 01-08-2020, 06:55   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

define your definition of "deep" draft...4'....5'...6'....7'......8'....more ???

a 4' draft will run aground in 4' of water....a 6' draft will run aground in 6' of water....etc..etc...stick to water depth you know your boat can handle and don't sail in areas where running aground is a possibility....simple really !!

In shoal areas...ie, the B'mas, for example....the 4' draft can anchor a 100' from shore....the 6' draft...may have to anchor 150' from shore..not a big whoop de doo...

all other things considered, a deeper draft will give better windward performance...but gentlemen don't sail to weather....I think
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:07   #11

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I would get the deeper draft version. But shoal draft may be the right choice based on slip availability???
Have you checked slips?
Which lake would you stay at?
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:45   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctl411 View Post
I would get the deeper draft version. But shoal draft may be the right choice based on slip availability???
Have you checked slips?
Which lake would you stay at?
Thanks ctl411! Would be slipping on Muskegon Lake and where we’re looking slip depths and access wouldn’t be a problem. Beautiful boat you have there! And it looks your draft would be similiar to the regular Hunter. Any situations you’ve encountered where a shallower draft would have been plus? Thx!
Old 01-08-2020, 08:24   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch

I think I've rubbed bottom on every boat I've owned.
Tend to push the limits but have a dinghy and anchors to get off. Usually can just back off easily, mud/sand.
If you are looking at Cherubini hunter 30's I've owed two,
both deep draft. The two 37c hunters one deep one shoal.
The deep sailed a little better and may have been stiffer.
We just spent a few days at Muskegon on our trip north to Portage lake and back to Holland.
Only concern for draft there would be the conservation club slips at the east end of the lake.
ctl411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:48   #14

Boat: Saltram 31

Draft is not the only keel variable.
I sailed a Moody 38 with a Scheel Keel (Prof. Scheel of Stockholm University) he did a huge amount of research into keel shapes.
My Moody with a draft of 4ft 6 ins outsailed many yachts with 6ft to 7ft drafts.
And coped well with a force 11 storm in the Western Approaches of the English Cnannel.
However if all that is done is to cut a foot of the keel then all the comments on shoal v deep would be true.
If you can do some research on Scheel keels and which yachts they are fitted to.
malcolmlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:14   #15

Boat: Leopard 45

I've had a Hunter 34 for 20 years and find a need to reef early in winds over 12 knots. I don't know if it's a problem with all Hunters going to wind, but I think it would be even more so with a shoal draft. Another reason for the longer fin over shoal would be when (not if) you should run aground. It's going to be easier to get off that sand bar with a fin than shoal draft.
jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hunter, keel