Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-10-2020, 23:22   #1

Hulls like a Contessa 32

I'd like a Contessa 32, with the encapsulated ballast in a fin keel and skeg-hung rudder. But for a 32 foot, old boat, they are not cheap, running around $40K and up from what I've found. Are there other boats with this sort of hull?

Thanks.
Jim
river251 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 01:12   #2

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
Re: Hulls like a Contessa 32

S&S 34

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ss-34-swarbrick
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%26S_34

UFO 34

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/ufo-34
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UFO_34

Van de Stadt 34

https://www.stadtdesign.com/designs/...an_de_stadt_34
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 01:40   #3

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Encapsualted keels:
Nicholson 32 or 35
Trident Challenger/Warrior 35s
Halmatic/Barbican 30s
Albin Vega 27' or Singoalla (very rare) 34'
Vancouver 27/32/34, though they'd cost you more than a Contessa

That's just off the top of my head, there's lots more
Old 19-10-2020, 12:49   #4

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Pearson 10M
Old 19-10-2020, 17:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Encapsualted keels:
Nicholson 32 or 35
Trident Challenger/Warrior 35s
Halmatic/Barbican 30s
Albin Vega 27' or Singoalla (very rare) 34'

That's just off the top of my head, there's lots more
Huh, wonder why they are so expensive? I'll have to look. Maybe they are newer? Or custom built?

Thank you all. I have began a list and will include all there. My list is fin keels with skeg hung rudders, once I check to see if they are encapsulated, I'll post the list and keep it updated and add these.

This seems a good compromise between a full keel hull and a fin keel, while avoiding a bolt on keel, and the vulnerability of a spade rudder. I hope they are faster than a full keel, which is my motivation to put together a list that I can search with.

Thanks!
Old 19-10-2020, 17:55   #6

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Pacific Seacraft 31, 34, 37.....
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 17:57   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by river251 View Post
Huh, wonder why they are so expensive? I'll have to look. Maybe they are newer? Or custom built?

Thank you all. I have began a list and will include all there. My list is fin keels with skeg hung rudders, once I check to see if they are encapsulated, I'll post the list and keep it updated and add these.

This seems a good compromise between a full keel hull and a fin keel, while avoiding a bolt on keel, and the vulnerability of a spade rudder. I hope they are faster than a full keel, which is my motivation to put together a list that I can search with.

Thanks!
They are that expensive because they are a very seaworthy design that was very well built that was also reasonably fast. The tradeoff is a lot of living volume, beam is only 9.5'.

The 1979 Fastnet race was notorious for the very bad weather that was encountered. 15 sailors died, 24 boats were abandoned and 194 of 303 boats withdrew. Only 86 finished.
The Contessa 32 was the smallest boat and the only one in its class to finish.

Ever since they have had a reputation as a very seaworthy boat.

If I were to purchase one I would extend the boom and and install a short bowsprit to keep the boat balanced. The increased sail area would make the boat more suitable for cruising where light air is more common.

The Contessa 32 is still available as a new build by Jeremy Rogers Ltd.
https://www.jeremyrogers.co.uk/contessa-32-new-build/
Old 19-10-2020, 22:01   #8

Thanks Adelie. I first got interested in the Contessa 32 because John Kretschmer sailed it around the world and wrote a book about it, and I've since seen it highly respected. So that does not surprise me.

I was asking why the Vancouver was expensive, not sure if you thought I meant the Contessa, after bobnleslie listed it:

I gather you were talking about the Contessa. So the point of this thread is to find something like a Contessa that might be cheaper. Hope I'm not fooling myself though, into thinking just because it has encapsulated ballast in a fin keel and a skeg hung rudder that it's going to have the sailing quality of the Contessa.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
They are that expensive because they are a very seaworthy design that was very well built that was also reasonably fast. The tradeoff is a lot of living volume, beam is only 9.5'.

The 1979 Fastnet race was notorious for the very bad weather that was encountered. 15 sailors died, 24 boats were abandoned and 194 of 303 boats withdrew. Only 86 finished.
The Contessa 32 was the smallest boat and the only one in its class to finish.

Ever since they have had a reputation as a very seaworthy boat.

If I were to purchase one I would extend the boom and and install a short bowsprit to keep the boat balanced. The increased sail area would make the boat more suitable for cruising where light air is more common.

The Contessa 32 is still available as a new build by Jeremy Rogers Ltd.
https://www.jeremyrogers.co.uk/contessa-32-new-build/
Old 19-10-2020, 22:27   #9

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Hope I'm not fooling myself though, into thinking just because it has encapsulated ballast in a fin keel and a skeg hung rudder that it's going to have the sailing quality of the Contessa.
Just as a matter of interest, encapsulated ballast keels tend to be a bit slower than bolt-ons, for they have to be considerably thicker in cross section, with attendant higher drag. Also tend not to concentrate the ballast at the bottom, meaning less righting moment for a given ballast mass.

I know that it is currently fashionable here on CF to denigrate bolt on keels, but in decently built boats they are no less secure than encapsulated ones ( which have their own failure modes).

In our case, I've owned nothing but bolt-ons, and have accumulated over 150K miles without any problems related to that construction method. However, all those boats were of good or better quality construction.

I've hit coral heads hard enough to get chunks of coral embedded in the lead (embarrassing but not harmful) and bounced off a few hard bits with our current keel which is a steel shell with the lead inside, again without any structural issues. I don't recommend doing any of these things, but ruling out a boat because of a bolter is not to your advantage IMO.

good luck with the search!

Jim

Tags
hull