Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2020, 11:09   #1

Boat: Riva 48
Hull swap - does it make sense?

I am very attached to my Hunter 31 (I would say unreasonably so, given the age and market value of the boat but it makes me happy). Now, it seems that I may need to move to Europe for a few years for family reasons. My first reaction was, well the boat goes with us but obviously this does not make sense logistically to move a low value boat from CA to Europe.

So, I came up with this idea, to find exactly the same hull on the East Coast, move most of the items/upgrades I feel attached to by a U-haul, fix the new boat to look similar to the current one, then drive back, fix the old boat and sell it. The old (current) boat will still have considerable value and I think I already have a buyer. I can sail the new hull to Europe, it should be a much easier journey across the Atlantic than going around the world.

The question is, will it make sense or is it just wishful thinking and I should just focus on getting a newer boat across the pond? Would you add anything to the list below? Also, for people who have moved from a H31 to another boat, was there an upgrade path that you thought was particularly successful?

Here are some of the items I am considering moving:
- cushions, shades
- electronics
- SSB radio
- inverter plus controls (plus a new 220V setup)
- washing machine
- deck hardware (pole, Vang, some clutches, two winches)
- cockpit table
- dodger, bimini
- sails (depending what the new boat comes with)
- folding propeller

I am still thinking about swapping the engine as well but it will depend on the engine condition of the new hull. There are a few items that I have fixed on my boat and I may need to fix on the new boat such as the compression post (a weak spot for these boats) and possibly the standing rigging depending on age. However, having been through this I estimate it would be quick and easy. For reference, I am getting quotes for H31s on the East Coast that are very inexpensive, below <$10K.

I would appreciate any encouragement or just don't comments .

SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 11:14   #2

Re: Hull swap - does it make sense?

This makes absolutely no sense. Sell the boat. Buy one in Europe.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 11:29   #3

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

I hope this does not sound smart ass. I don't mean it that way.

Take a breath and reread what you wrote then let it sink in. What you are suggesting makes absolutely no sense. If you love your Hunter set up the way it is than just by yourself another one and add the same equipment. Driving across the country twice and doing double labor will save you nothing. IMHO.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 11:39   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Doesn't make much sense to me at all. The remains of the boat in CA will be worth very little and you are still responsible for it. Can you find somewhere to store your boat in California where it is away from the water and cheaper? Buy a boat in Europe. Good to get experience with a different kind of boat.
Old 21-04-2020, 11:40   #5

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Even if doing that made sense, you’d miss the opportunity to experience, grow with, and customize a culturally different boat. You wouldn’t dress your new girlfriend in the exes clothes would you? Go start fresh.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 11:45   #6

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Everything about your plan, including sailing a Hunter 31 across the North Atlantic, falls into the "just don't" category.

Sorry for the tough love...
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 11:48   #7

As a guy who is refitting an old boat and spending way, way too much money to do it, I can understand your motivation. I liken it to spending a lot of money on vet bills for a very sick pet. Makes zero financial sense. Absent the emotional attachment, it's a really bad idea. Sounds like it would take some time too. Surprised you have a buyer for a stripped-out boat.

Bottom line: I think you're nuts, but understand why you're asking. Glad you like your Hunter enough to do this, but you're nuts. Boats have that effect on people I suppose. Me too.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 11:58   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

There is a huge range of similar sized yachts across Europe, sell and buy one here.

Two examples

https://www.boatsandoutboards.co.uk/...ody-s31/225504

https://www.yachtworld.co.uk/boats/1...-32-5-3604273/
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 16:53   #9

Boat: Sabre 402

For what it would cost you to remove the fittings from your old boat, buy another one, re-install the fittings on the new boat, fix up? (your words) the old one, re-install new gear to replace what you removed, sell the old one, fix up the “new” one for a transatlantic sail (this would likely involve reinforcing hull, deck, cabin, ports, hatches, steering gear, adding tanks for water & fuel and doing a thorough dye test of the standing rigging) and sail it to Europe, you could probably ship your existing boat to Europe from California. Beyond that, however, you may also need to consider having to pay VAT if the boat stays in Europe beyond a certain amount of time. There is also the fact that an American boat may not be EC compliant - creating paperwork and permitting headaches to make the VAT payments seem trivial. Plus, Harmonie is right.

and another example:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/200...j-120-3505959/
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 18:44   #10

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Honestly, all obvious logic that has been stated above aside, outfitting a Hunter 31 on the East coast- taking the time and energy to strip your old boat of everything you made her and put it into another trying to make it the exact same... well it is never going to be your Hunter 31, let's just say that. It will never feel the same, yet it will be similar, but deep down you'll always long for the one you used to have. On top of that, if you're going through all that trouble to cross the Atlantic ocean, why do it in a Hunter 31 (no offense, I'm a Hunter fan), but here is your chance to look into the future and re-weigh your options of a different vessel. I was just recently in the market for a boat, and I would have killed for the opportunity to explore some of the European options that were available then. You may want to start browsing what's for sale where you are moving- you may just come across something you had no idea even existed...
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 19:58   #11

Boat: Riva 48

Thank you all for the comments. It is (very) slowly dawning on me that it may not be the best idea I have had. I am not worried about crossing the Atlantic on a H31 (I have done a few crossings on other boats and I have spoken to Mr. Steck, the original designer of the boat. The boat needs very little structural work. Cast hatches, 1 1/4" keel boats on a 31' footer, fiber glass enclosure for the rudder above teh waterline, emergency rudder, etc. Basically, as long as the standing rigging and the compression post is OK, that particular boat will do fine (my opinion). I think I know enough to take an educated risk and this topic has been covered here many times).

For me, the biggest issue is that I know this boat so well and I have so many extras on the boat today (two watermakers, two propellers, a nearly full engine spare kit, etc. etc.) that outfitting another hull would be very quick in my mind. Further, no buyer in CA will appreciate all this extra equipment on a coastal cruiser and it would be a pity to let it go. I also think that many of you are overestimating the work required. For example, the first time I fixed my compression post (I did not know what I was doing), it took me a week. The second time I did it properly, it took me less than two days and now I think I could do it in a day. Engine swap: two days (plus one week for the one bolt on the fuel pump that I snapped by mistake . Similarly for a lot of other projects.

Yet, I see the point of moving to a larger boat and exploring the local market for boats. I wish we did not get attached to our boats as much.

Thank you for the comments, I will let you know how it goes.
SV Pizzazz
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2020, 23:46   #12

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Thank you all for the comments. It is (very) slowly dawning on me that it may not be the best idea I have had. I am not worried about crossing the Atlantic on a H31 (I have done a few crossings on other boats and I have spoken to Mr. Steck, the original designer of the boat. The boat needs very little structural work. Cast hatches, 1 1/4" keel boats on a 31' footer, fiber glass enclosure for the rudder above teh waterline, emergency rudder, etc. Basically, as long as the standing rigging and the compression post is OK, that particular boat will do fine (my opinion). I think I know enough to take an educated risk and this topic has been covered here many times).

For me, the biggest issue is that I know this boat so well and I have so many extras on the boat today (two watermakers, two propellers, a nearly full engine spare kit, etc. etc.) that outfitting another hull would be very quick in my mind. Further, no buyer in CA will appreciate all this extra equipment on a coastal cruiser and it would be a pity to let it go. I also think that many of you are overestimating the work required. For example, the first time I fixed my compression post (I did not know what I was doing), it took me a week. The second time I did it properly, it took me less than two days and now I think I could do it in a day. Engine swap: two days (plus one week for the one bolt on the fuel pump that I snapped by mistake . Similarly for a lot of other projects.

Yet, I see the point of moving to a larger boat and exploring the local market for boats. I wish we did not get attached to our boats as much.

Thank you for the comments, I will let you know how it goes.
SV Pizzazz

Sailing down to the canal, then to the islands, then to the east coast, would be a thrill. Take a break and store her. Fly to destination. Sell her on the East Coast, or fly back and continue the adventure. I’ve sailed small:.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 06:41   #13

I think the consensus is pretty clear... Just don't!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 06:45   #14

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If you really want to do the crossing in that boat and don't want to make the long trip down and around, why not have the boat trucked to the East Coast and start there?
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2020, 07:59   #15

Boat: Pearson 10M

it will be a lot easier to move cash across the Atlantic than a Hunter 31.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull