Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2019, 13:04   #31

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46
Re: Hull reinforcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Yes, the Y axis starts at 10 and the X axis is non linear. However, no matter how you graph the data, it does show a significant deterioration.

It is important to understand that it is for continuous immersion. In many countries boats are routinely lifted out over the winter season. Also epoxy and vinylester resins are very different. Modern boats frequently have at least a token amount of vinylester resin in the layup together with an aftermarket epoxy barrier coat from new. This will slow the water penetration considerably.

The graph was from an article written by Professor Geoffrey Pritchard and published in Practical Boat Owner March 1995.

No material is perfect, but fibreglass (polyester) does lose strength with long term water immersion even if no external signs, such as osmosis, are evident. The idea of reinforcing older fibreglass boats that are considering difficult offshore voyages is worth considering.

Thanks much for the reference.
I’ll track it down. I am curious.

And I completely agree that no material is perfect, except for .. unobtanium.
[emoji106]
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 16:42   #32

Boat: Lidgard yacht 32ft
Re: Hull reinforcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanty1 View Post
Thanks for your response guys. No I don’t own one yet. I am looking I am preparing for a solo non stop unassisted circumnavigation of Australia. Then maybe onto the world. I am asking about the hull because I would expect a 35-40 year old boat to have seen better days. If I reckon it’s up to it I will leave it alone.
Good luck with your acquiring the right yacht & the circumnavigation.
Davo1404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull