Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2019, 19:17   #16

Boat: 1980 Pacific International Marine 41.5
Re: Hull reinforcing

Quote:
Originally Posted by robwilk37 View Post
cant speak to pink lady, but on my project it involved new laminated floors with closer spacing, new MDF ply bulkheads and biax/epoxy tabbing, horiz stringers at the waterline, essentially double-hulled from the WL down, glassed hull/deck joint, collision bulkhead, carbon-fiber keel wrap blah blah blah. you get the idea.

but then i started from a gutted bare hull, so easier to make the improvements...
MDF as your bulkhead?? [emoji52] [emoji52] [emoji52] that I do not believe is the right material to use...
chowdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 19:19   #17

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

MDF = Marine Doug Fir... not my first rodeo.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:23   #18

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
MDF = Marine Doug Fir... not my first rodeo.

MDF is also a more commonly used abbreviation for medium density fiberboard.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:53   #19

Boat: yorktown custom 40' cutter

i think its safe to assume no one on this site is building structural members for a boat out of fiberboard.
robwilk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:21   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
MDF is also a more commonly used abbreviation for medium density fiberboard.
yep

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:23   #21

I don't know what Pink Lady used, but stringers glassed to the inside would be the way to reinforce a hull for stiffness anyway. For puncture resistance more glass.
Yes fiberglass does get more brittle over decades. Especially in the sun a lot. I suppose old boats often make up for it by being more heavily laid up in the first place than newer boats.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:06   #22

If you look at how monohulls of that era fail have hull/deck failures, there's a fairly short list to address:

1. Reinforce rudder post area - (also replace rudder post, bearings and rebuild rudder)
2. Drop keel and replace bolts
3. Replace chainplates and add stronger/longer chainplate reinforcement - especially stem head.
4. Add more tabbing to bulkhead - hull connections
5. Fiberglass tape on the inside of the hull-deck joint
6: Add kevlar fabric in bow area for collision with logs or other floating hazards
7: Reinforce for inward deck compression at mast step by adding post or cable to keep deck from rising and crossbeam reinforcement
8: replace ports or at least acrylic in ports
9: Reinforce all deck and cockpit hatches especially hinges and latches. Reinforce companionway area.

The S&S 34 is pretty robust in all these areas so there may be a limited advantage.

The above assumes there is no rot or delamination in hull, deck, bulkhead, or stringers.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:15   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes fiberglass does get more brittle over decades. Especially in the sun a lot. I suppose old boats often make up for it by being more heavily laid up in the first place than newer boats.
There have been a number of papers on the long term reduction in strength/stiffness of fibreglass. All materials deteriorate, but when stored in water there is more degradation of polyester fibreglass structures than is commonly thought. See table below.

However, the early fibreglass boats were very overbuilt.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F891CA4A-0503-4FAD-866E-E3BC3BCFDD28.jpeg
Views:	92
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	195369  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 09:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Extra layers of FG on the hull would add more weight than strength, but extra plywood frames embedded in FG would. So would horizontal frames. But do you really need it? Is the hull flexing? Reinforcing won't help much when you hit the corner of a shipping container; that's a puncture. You probably can avoid hitting the side of a tanker, unless, of course, you are an officer in the Norwegian Navy.

Or US Navy
KC375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:10   #25

Thanks for your response guys. No I don’t own one yet. I am looking I am preparing for a solo non stop unassisted circumnavigation of Australia. Then maybe onto the world. I am asking about the hull because I would expect a 35-40 year old boat to have seen better days. If I reckon it’s up to it I will leave it alone.
Shanty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 03:38   #26

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I did, I replaced both hulls totally as they had big holes in them,
They were 5 mm thick, now they are 13mm thick,
With bigger stringers all fibreglassed into the hulls as one piece,
The original hulls flexed something chronic when sitting on a beach, Which did concern me,
The new hulls were stiffened up to allow me to park on sandy beaches,
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1073.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	195738   Click image for larger version

Name:	1089.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	195739  

Name:	Boat Repairs, 5-1-2017 001.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	409.8 KB
ID:	195740   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boay. Hull thickness 012.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	314.8 KB
ID:	195741  

Name:	Boat, New floor, 018.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	332.1 KB
ID:	195742   Click image for larger version

Name:	Boat, current piccys, July 2018 008.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	195743  

Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:12   #27

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
There have been a number of papers on the long term reduction in strength/stiffness of fibreglass. All materials deteriorate, but when stored in water there is more degradation of polyester fibreglass structures than is commonly thought. See table below.

However, the early fibreglass boats were very overbuilt.

Interesting graph. But there is too much context missing there. And it starts at 10 on the y axis emphasizing whatever effect it shows.
Can you link to the source? I don’t disbelieve it, but am curious re test conditions etc...

Thanks
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 04:27   #28

Boat: Volkscruiser

First I have seen MDF used for furniture in trailer boats. I asked the boat builder why and he said you could get a quick perfect finish when spray painting all the panels.
If you are worried about the hull strength why not peel of the gelcoat below the waterline and 300mm above the waterline then glass with 2 layers of 450gm double bias cloth?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 06:36   #29

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36

Quote:
i think its safe to assume no one on this site is building structural members for a boat out of fiberboard.
I've seen an Allmand 31 that was built with fiber board for bulkheads! A friend was looking at one. Under the cabinets where some wires passed through a bulkhead it had a big hole drilled out. It'd gotten wet and puffed out. I grabbed a chunk and showed him and the broker. I'd never ever own one of those lol. It was all veneered so most people would think it was plywood, and I've come to learn the year they were built can affect quality greatly. Towards the end getting close the bankruptcy they cut some major corners.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:46   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Interesting graph. But there is too much context missing there. And it starts at 10 on the y axis emphasizing whatever effect it shows.
Can you link to the source? I don’t disbelieve it, but am curious re test conditions etc...

Thanks
Yes, the Y axis starts at 10 and the X axis is non linear. However, no matter how you graph the data, it does show a significant deterioration.

It is important to understand that it is for continuous immersion. In many countries boats are routinely lifted out over the winter season. Also epoxy and vinylester resins are very different. Modern boats frequently have at least a token amount of vinylester resin in the layup together with an aftermarket epoxy barrier coat from new. This will slow the water penetration considerably.

The graph was from an article written by Professor Geoffrey Pritchard and published in Practical Boat Owner March 1995.

No material is perfect, but fibreglass (polyester) does lose strength with long term water immersion even if no external signs, such as osmosis, are evident. The idea of reinforcing older fibreglass boats that are considering difficult offshore voyages is worth considering.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull