Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2014, 20:44   #1

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee
hull ID numbers

Hi everybody. I bought a 1973 Balboa 26 and I am really itching now! The problem is that I do not have a title. Can anyone tell me where to find the ID number on this boat so I can get the reg. taken care of...I have heard that these older boats with an outboard didn't have a serial number...True??? I am lost here...Please help!!!
Thanks for all your helpin the past and I look forward to getting out there and MEETING some of you....
God Bless...
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 22:27   #2

Re: hull ID numbers

Hi MrLee,

In the thread about boats currently in Mexico who are working through the TIP paperwork, pre-1976, IIRC, there wasn't always a hull number to be had?

Hopefully somebody with specific knowledge of your boat will be able to give a more definitive answer.
Sondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2014, 23:40   #3

Boat: Caliber 40

How do you BUY a boat with no title? Did the seller really own it?

If the seller owned it - then they should be able to tell you how they titled it for state registration and for paying state and local taxes on it.

Did the seller have insurance? If so they should be able to tell you how they were satisfied they were insuring a boat that was owned by the person buying the insurance.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 04:41   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

You did not say which State you were in, but the DMV should be able to help you with this ,if you have either the previous owners name or the Engine Serial number. With those they can search their files and find the information.

If you don't, but have a bill of sale, like from a lien sale, most States will require you to place a HIN on the boat before you can register it.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 05:29   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
Hi everybody. I bought a 1973 Balboa 26 and I am really itching now! The problem is that I do not have a title. Can anyone tell me where to find the ID number on this boat so I can get the reg. taken care of...
All boats manufactured or imported on or after November 1, 1972 must bear a HIN. The primary HIN must be permanently affixed (so that it can be seen from outside the boat) to the starboard side of the transom within two inches of the top of the transom, gunwale, or hull/deck joint, whichever is lowest.

Manufacturers Identification Code (MIC) Database

The Balboa 26 was built by Arthur Marine/Coastal Recreation Inc.(USA), a subsidiary of Laguna Yachts.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2014, 09:25   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Gord is right. After you find it you can learn to decode it here Whats A HIN ?
Old 18-01-2014, 17:06   #7

Boat: Irwin 30
Send a message via Skype™ to mrlee

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. Ok, I bought the boat from an attorney (go figya) in Alabama. The last reg. was from the previous owner in Fla. There is NO HIN no. ANYWHERE. I have looked and a captain friend of mine (who is on here ALL the time and brought me the boat) couldn't find anything either. I have a bill-of-sale and it states on it- HULL # 115, that's it. It is a 1973...
That's all I have! It has no motor...outboard...so what next? Should I contact Fla and with the numbers on the bow try to get this going...
Thanks again for the help everybody...
God Bless
mrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 03:56   #8

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlee View Post
The last reg. was from the previous owner in Fla. Should I contact Fla and with the numbers on the bow try to get this going...
What state are you trying to register the boat in? A notarized Bill of Sale from the Attorney should be enough to start you registration in your home state. What is your DMV telling you?

If you have the last registration card from Florida and your state requires a pink slip, Florida DMV should be able to help you with a Pink Slip or at least proving the boat isn't stolen...

My first boat was a 1977 Catalina 27 and its Hull Identification Number was 3438 on the CA Registration Card. Nothing fancy!

When I was a cop in California, I would do Hull Number verifications... If I couldn't find one, DMV would issue one to the vessel. I am sure your home state has the same procedure.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 13:03   #9

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat

Dear All,

As a one off builder of a Farrier Catamaran ( for personal use ) , how does one begin to obtain a HIN?
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2014, 13:16   #10

Boat: Cape Dory 33

I don't know about home building boats, but I built a teardrop camper 2 years ago and I took all the receipts to the MVA, a trailer inspection certificate (required), the required pictures of it showing safety equipment and they issued me a VIN plate right there. I should think the process would be much the same for a homebuilt boat.
Old 05-12-2019, 20:08   #11

I am trying to identify my boat too to register it. It was sold to me as a 1979 Catalina 39 ???? I can't get an id on the hin number can anyone help here is the number CABJ0517M79A

thanks
lastkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 20:10   #12

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

In New Jersey, if your boat doesn't have a HIN, the NJ Dept of Motor Vehicles (DMV) or Motor Vehicle Commision (MVC) creates one and assigns it to your vessel.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 20:22   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastkahuna View Post
I am trying to identify my boat too to register it. It was sold to me as a 1979 Catalina 39 ???? I can't get an id on the hin number can anyone help here is the number CABJ0517M79A

thanks
Thats not right. The Catalina HIN/MIC begins with CTY as in the photo below.

"CTY" is the mfg ID
"J0517" is the mfg serial number
"M" Model yr. format (there are several different formats
79A" is the date code. Boat hull was laid in August of 1979
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CTY.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	204449  
Old 05-12-2019, 20:56   #14

Some years back I looked at late 70s C&C 36 which was a big restoration project inside. Outside it had the stern repaired from a collision with granite or concrete dock. Whoever repaired her never bothered to stamp the HIN back on the repaired stern. I figured that this was an indication of a sloppy job.

One of my boats which I purchased from a bottom feeder boat dealer/auctioneer had a registration with a funky HIN which began with a Z. Turns out here in MA such Z HINs are given to either home made boats or re-HINed ones (for whatever reason). Mine was re-HINed with the original HIN still on the stern. And to top it off it had 2 different CG documentation numbers. Never had a problem registering it though. Nor did apparently my buyer. Go figure.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 21:56   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
Some years back I looked at late 70s C&C 36 which was a big restoration project inside. Outside it had the stern repaired from a collision with granite or concrete dock. Whoever repaired her never bothered to stamp the HIN back on the repaired stern. I figured that this was an indication of a sloppy job.

One of my boats which I purchased from a bottom feeder boat dealer/auctioneer had a registration with a funky HIN which began with a Z. Turns out here in MA such Z HINs are given to either home made boats or re-HINed ones (for whatever reason). Mine was re-HINed with the original HIN still on the stern. And to top it off it had 2 different CG documentation numbers. Never had a problem registering it though. Nor did apparently my buyer. Go figure.
"ZCC" is the C&C MIC such as in the photo below from a 1978 C&C 34

Tags
hull, hull ID number