Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2013, 14:44   #16

Boat: 1988 Huges 40
Re: Hughes 40 - Cored Hull ?

Jim: I should have noted in my response that stripping the hull and sealing the vertical keel joint were not related; the hull stripping was done for other reasons; my horizontal joints never were a problem but I used the same Gluvit stuff there just in case. The vertical joint really bothered me and it could be sealed using the Gluvit and fiberglass tape very easily.
I was impressed that the Interlux barrier held up well over it, but even if it did not, the Gluvit also is an epoxy barrier. Best of luck with the Hughes.
larryschnellfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 15:15   #17

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

HISTORY OF HUGHES BOATWORKS
Old 11-08-2021, 10:30   #18
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_m View Post
Are you speaking specifically about the H40? The main is keel stepped and the mast base rests directly on solid fiberglass hull with the keel directly below -- at least on ours which is 1987 (last year or 2 of production). Maybe earlier year were different .. this hull design was in production for quite a while.
Old post I know but you may still be around.. Can you tell me how the steel is attached to the hull? (See image red circles) Is it just glassed over steel or embedded into the keel/ ballast and structural?

Is there a good group for Hughes 40 you can recommend?
Sunkenanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 13:02   #19
J_m

Boat: 1987 Hughes H40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkenanchor View Post
Old post I know but you may still be around.. Can you tell me how the steel is attached to the hull? (See image red circles) Is it just glassed over steel or embedded into the keel/ ballast and structural?

Is there a good group for Hughes 40 you can recommend?
- Yes -- very old thread but still around.

The aluminum Mast was stepped onto what looked like a fitted composite socket at the bottom of the bilge(attached to the fiberglass ) -- nothing like your picture. I likely have a picture somewhere still. We sold the boat 4-5 years ago.

Good luck on finding any forum specific to the Hughes 40 -- I was never able to find one that is useful. Many H40's were sold as kits ( i.e. user rigged and finished) .. which could explain your particular setup. I believe a surveyor previously posted this information and discussed a keel stepped like your picture.

Jim
J_m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 15:08   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_m View Post
- Yes -- very old thread but still around.

The aluminum Mast was stepped onto what looked like a fitted composite socket at the bottom of the bilge(attached to the fiberglass ) -- nothing like your picture. I likely have a picture somewhere still. We sold the boat 4-5 years ago.

Good luck on finding any forum specific to the Hughes 40 -- I was never able to find one that is useful. Many H40's were sold as kits ( i.e. user rigged and finished) .. which could explain your particular setup. I believe a surveyor previously posted this information and discussed a keel stepped like your picture.

Jim
Thanks for getting back to me. The step does look to me a bit on the homemade with the angle iron and channel. Which is in a way good news because it couldn’t be tied in to the ballast and is just likely glassed to the bilge/ keel, something I can just cut out with an angle grinder.

Did you have the Volvo engine? If so any typical issue or things I should look for?

Do you have to cut the floor out to remove the tanks?

It was said to be maintained yearly until the father passed and remained on the hard storage
Sunkenanchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 07:28   #21
J_m

Boat: 1987 Hughes H40 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunkenanchor View Post
Thanks for getting back to me. The step does look to me a bit on the homemade with the angle iron and channel. Which is in a way good news because it couldn’t be tied in to the ballast and is just likely glassed to the bilge/ keel, something I can just cut out with an angle grinder.

Did you have the Volvo engine? If so any typical issue or things I should look for?

Do you have to cut the floor out to remove the tanks?

It was said to be maintained yearly until the father passed and remained on the hard storage
-- Yes we had the 65HP MD30A-- great engine, however it was getting hard to get parts for back in 2015 -- we had a hard time finding a water pump">raw water pump, could not find a starter ( but could get it rebuilt).

-- we had 6 25G tanks -- 2 were under the port settee (good access) .. but 4 were under the floor with no access.

Jim
J_m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Hughes