Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 17:20   #1

Boat: 2002 Bavaria 40
How To Wrap With Hemp Rope

The pillar/mast inside my boat is covered with very thin strips of teak all the way around. Several of them are buckling and missing when I bought the boat. Thinking of covering over them for now with a wrap up of hemp rope. Anyone know how to do this? Do I need to soak the rope first? Where is the best place to buy hemp rope? Thanks all!
sailprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 20:41   #2

Boat: Pearson 31-2
Re: How To Wrap With Hemp Rope

Hemp rope (made in Romania)

Hemp Products

If you are not familiar with a serving mallet study the image - you could fashion a similar tool to hold tension while wrapping.

Charlie P. ('87 Pearson 31-2 #80 CATNAP)
Stumpkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 21:17   #3

Hee hee! That would be one humongous serving mallet!

BTW, that above illustration is wrong! Any sailor worth his salt knows

Worm and parcel with the lay. Turn and serve the other way.
ryon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 21:36   #4

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

ryon, You've been reading Clifford Ashley's book again. Danger lurks there. You can get completely entangled. I picked up several spools of different sized tarred marline the last time I was in Sweden. The dogs at US Customs didn't hit on it, but several passengers kept looking around for the sourced of the distinctive smell. I keep it in my bosun's locker to make me feel salty.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 21:41   #5

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Ahhh, I hate to tell ya , but I buy Tarred Marline at my local marine store! Not WM of course, but a REAL marine store with net working tools and real net knifes and such !!Just sayin it's out there
Old 15-07-2013, 22:07   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
ryon, You've been reading Clifford Ashley's book again. ...
Not true! By all that is Right and Holy, I have never read a page of ABOK. Ever!

I will admit however to following every thought and word of Lindsey Philpott. And I've applied service to what seemed at the time to be at the least 20,000 leagues of cableing to my beloved Brig Pilgrim. Every inch of which is applied against the Sun. And as for that smell, I just smile, and tell people that I was at a really great Barbecue.
Old 15-07-2013, 22:11   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Bob and Connie, I hate to admit it but my store doesn't smell like a marine store. Our current building has never had tarred oakum, real tarred marlin or big metal cans of pine tar pitch. The store I played in as a child had all of those things and smelled wonderful. Maybe I'll track down some real tarred marlin and stick it in the air conditioner ducts.

I do have a pitch payer so if I had some hot tar, I could pay the devil.

To the OP, the last time I bought natural fiber rope I got it at the neighborhood hardware store. I used it to make a scratching post for my cat. If you've got a cat, it's going to love your mast but it'll look good for a while.
Old 16-07-2013, 06:31   #8

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Does anyone know of a domestic supplier of real tarred hemp? The WM and other suppliers just have "tarred" nylon. I remember that the nicest stuff was from Italy, but the Swedish stuff was really robust. I still have a small bar of Swedish tar soap. If I use it I'll probably attract a completely different crowd of admirers, but they'll all have tattoos, parrots and eye patches, and speak in monosyllabic terms like "Arghhh!".
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 07:02   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Does anyone know of a domestic supplier of real tarred hemp? The WM and other suppliers just have "tarred" nylon. I remember that the nicest stuff was from Italy, but the Swedish stuff was really robust. I still have a small bar of Swedish tar soap. If I use it I'll probably attract a completely different crowd of admirers, but they'll all have tattoos, parrots and eye patches, and speak in monosyllabic terms like "Arghhh!".
I'm afraid those are the people who have just been to Disneyland. The real tallships today use synthetic seine twine, mostly #72. But we do slather on that good Stockholm tar!
Old 16-07-2013, 07:28   #10

Boat: Pearson 31-2

American Rope & Tar out of Texas has pine tar and Stockholm Tar. Appropriately named website (tarsmell.com)

I used to get tarred marline from a place called "The Sail Loft" back when Small Boat Journal was in print. As Roy noted what is found now is usually tarred synthetic

Built a balanced lug 15' and sailed a gaff rigged Mud Hen.

Makes a good non-slip knife grip wrap as well. ;-)

Charlie P. ('87 Pearson 31-2 #80 CATNAP)
Stumpkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 07:32   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailprincess View Post
The pillar/mast inside my boat is covered with very thin strips of teak all the way around. Several of them are buckling and missing when I bought the boat. Thinking of covering over them for now with a wrap up of hemp rope. Anyone know how to do this? Do I need to soak the rope first? Where is the best place to buy hemp rope? Thanks all!
We have used spiral bindings in several locations on our boat to prevent chafe to the underlying item. A simple yet attractive binding can be made by a continuous chain of half hitches-simply passing a line around your post and under itself, pulled tight, and then repeated, up the height of the post. You can finish the ends with Turk's Heads which are really quite easy to make. For our purposes we have used various colors of 1/8" diameter nylon line but other line can be used as well. Hemp or Manilla line can be used but will likely not be particularly durable unless it is varnished. One can use tar but note that it will remain sticky, particularly in the heat, unless it is rubbed down with talcum powder or something similar. As for knots, take a look at Animated Knots by Grog | How to Tie Knots | Fishing, Boating, Climbing, Scouting, Search and Rescue, Household, Decorative, Rope Care, .

Good luck...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope