Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2022, 03:29   #1

How to fold the mast, fellowship 28

hello sailors. I want to change the rigging to a fellowship 28. These boats have a folding mast, designed to pass under the bridges of the Dutch canals, so it should be relatively easy to fold. Could someone explain the maneuver to me?
50knots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2022, 04:01   #2

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: How to fold the mast, fellowship 28

Yes. I have a Hunter 26 that is set up similarly. In short, you set a gin pole going forward from the bottom couple feet of the mast and secure the jib halyard to it cleating the other end off. Then put a four part tackle (or similar) between the jin pole and a secure fitting on the stem next to the forestay terminal. Snug it up, slack and disconnect the forestay and foreward shrouds, then lower the mast to aft leaving the aft shrouds in place to control lateral swing of the mast. I would get qualified help the first time, it's a heavy mast and you're depending on the jib halyard, gin pole, and four part tackle to hold more than the actual weight of the mast because of the geometry.

It's not as straightforward a process as for the English boats in the Norfolk Broads are that use a counterweighted mast.

Putting it back up you have to be really careful to be sure the backstay and aft shrouds don't get sideways or you'll bend a turnbuckle.
Old 18-01-2022, 01:45   #3

Re: How to fold the mast, fellowship 28

thanks for the ideas! In the bow there is a large steel arch that reaches almost to the forestay. I think its function is to help in this maneuver. perhaps with a halyard that passes through the pulley of the anchor machine? then go releasing little by little and it should not be very problematic.
50knots is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast