Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-12-2012, 22:41   #1

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
How to Choose Another Boat...

As the thread starter of the "how to choose a boat" thread I'm also in the process of "choosing" a boat. I'm about to sell my flat, and am in the process of getting my professional (and personal) life reorganised in a way that might allow me to take something like 3 months off each year. I would like to spend these months exploring Europe's coasts. (I imagine you can do this for a long time...)

I started by imaging what kind of sailing I would be doing. I came to the conclusion that I would either be:
- Sailing alone.
- Sailing with my partner.
- Occasionally with a bunch of friends.

Another factor is that I do get seasick. Although it doesn't happen a lot, I'm often not comfortable below decks when I can't see out.

So I need:
- Easy to sail and maintain. Not to big.
- One good cabin useable at anchor or in the harbor with a proper double bed.
- Extra sleeping in the saloon, must be useable at see.
- Galley near the entrance, and with windows allowing me to look outside while preparing meals.
- A proper desk/navigation station. Must be able to put my laptop there.
- 35-40 foot.
Good to have are:
- Fast en fun to sail.
- Design that sets it apart from the AWB.

I'm fortunate enough that I can actually afford to put some money on this. One boat that "ticks all the boxes" for is for example the new RM 1060, or maybe a second hand RM1200.

For instance I like the deck layout of the RM1200

Sheet winches are near the front of the cockpit. On this boat the halyard winches are at the mast, but for putting in a reef single handed this is actually an advantage.

Interior layout is:

And the galley looks like this:

Nice workspace. Works at sea, and I have good visibility to the outside.

It's nice to dream....
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 23:58   #2

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Re: How to choose another boat...

I really like these boats.

You say you can afford it and it's what you want, so what's the problem? Are you not sure, looking for alternatives?? Not sure what you are looking for here.
Old 21-12-2012, 01:07   #3

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I really like these boats.

You say you can afford it and it's what you want, so what's the problem? Are you not sure, looking for alternatives?? Not sure what you are looking for here.
Well, what I am looking for is wether my logic at arriving at this choice made any sense. Maybe I'm crazy at going for a 40 footer to sail by myself.

What is keeping me back at the moment is a bit of stage fright. And the fact that although I do have the funds, they only will become available in a few months...
Old 21-12-2012, 01:10   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

You might want to check out the Jeanneau. They make a Sun Fast 32 and I've heard they are bringing out a Sun Fast 36 in the spring. I have the Sun FAst 40 (which they do not make anymore). The Sun Fasts are a VERY fast boat and mine is extremely comfortable. It is a racer/cruiser.

If you want a more cruising oriented boat - look at the Sun Odyssey. All kinds of sizes and good solid boats.

Jeanneau will take virtually any punishment you can dig up

here a link
Boats - Jeanneau Yard

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 01:34   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Catalina 387

Hi Your initial criteria is valid however you probably need to expand this and take into account some addition criteria such as the areas you plants sail, typical conditions and hence performance of the chosen boat in those conditions. There has been several article on this topic such as www.sailmoonshadow.com/2010/some-thoughts-on-buying-the-best-cruising-yacht/

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
iLog Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 02:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
You might want to check out the Jeanneau. They make a Sun Fast 32 and I've heard they are bringing out a Sun Fast 36 in the spring. I have the Sun FAst 40 (which they do not make anymore). The Sun Fasts are a VERY fast boat and mine is extremely comfortable. It is a racer/cruiser.

If you want a more cruising oriented boat - look at the Sun Odyssey. All kinds of sizes and good solid boats.

Jeanneau will take virtually any punishment you can dig up
I know Jeanneau. My parents have one (since 1988. Just finished relining the interior). My last bareboat charter was on a SO 32i. That was a fun boat. (Although sadly with roller furling main). I don't have any doubts about the quality of Jeanneau. The Sun Fast 40 looks interesting. I like the galley on the versions with a single rear cabin.
Next spring I want to travel around a bit to look at boats. I keep being drawn to the RM but I want to know what als I can get in that range.
Old 21-12-2012, 02:49   #7
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

It's nice to dream....
It's also nice to spend other people's money .

Although your choice not entirely to my taste, I think I see where you are coming from.

On 40 foot used principally by myself plus a partner (at least now and again) I would want:-

1) an island double bed! - or at least enough access so no need to clamber over each other (except when one chooses to ).

2) a big anchor locker (and well thought out) - anchoring by self can be a PITA, having the chain able to self stow / stack easily would be nice.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2012, 02:51   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a Sun fast 37 - 55k euros
Sailing yacht JEANNEAU SUN FAST 37 [year: 2003] used - Sailing yacht for sale - EYB

Here are three Sun Fast 40.3 - these are like mine. I have the 2 cabin version. Very fast. Very comfortable

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 21-12-2012, 03:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Here are three Sun Fast 40.3 - these are like mine. I have the 2 cabin version. Very fast. Very comfortable
How does the Sun Fast 40 compare with the 40.3? I somehow like the galley in the 40 better...
Old 21-12-2012, 07:20   #10

COPYCAT! Kidding. That's a pretty boat. You should totally buy it.
bgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 01:19   #11

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The 40 and the 40.3 are more or less the same boat. The .3 stands for version 3 of the 40 footer.

You have to realize this is a performance cruiser somthe traveler is in the cockpit. And it has to stay there unless you eith shorten the boom, in which case you can move the traveler to the coach rooftop in a german maimsail solution. This means a smaller mailsail. So it will from approx. 500 sq. Ft to say 400 sq.ft.

The other solution, is to mount a targa bar (whichyou need for long term cruising anyway) and then move the traveler up there. This is what I am doing. The boat has ahuge cockpit and is roomy and comfortable inside.

I also like Jeanneau as an off shore boat. They are very sturdy. Since the Sun Fast is a performance boat, you'll also find that all the gear is extra heavy duty, winches are Harkens, the best, wire double thick stays, double thick,

I love mine, points under 40 degrees to the wind and goes like a bat out of hell when there is wind. Figure her to start moving at about 4-5 knots of wind.

Carsten