Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2019, 12:01   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: How Much Would You Pay For This Boat?

Agreed with the choir. There is too much rot, too much evidence of zero maintenance, and the uninsured status confirms the owner has had no budget to keep up the boat. You'll be in well over your neck.

Ann-
When glazing is "crazed", you can't polish that out. At least here in the States, crazing is stress cracking that literally extends all the way through, or significantly into, the depth of the glazing. It is a structural damage and failure that simply cannot be removed or fixed, not a surface condition that can be polished out.
FWIW.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 13:30   #17

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Money is one thing. Time and stress are another. This boat would be in the yard for close to a year with a DIY guy. Yards are expensive. It is filthy work to cut out rot. There, without a doubt, will be dozen of hidden things you can’t see and will be discovered as you move along through the project. “How deep is that rabbit hole again”?

Anyone who has rebuilt a boat can tell you it is s labor of love and a lesson in financial insanity. Brushes, plastics, sanding discs, resins, fiberglass, bedding caulks, hardware, And the shizzle never stops.

If the guy gave you the boat for free... oreven kicked in 4K out of his own pocket... and u had a big side yard to work in her for 2 years.... and your marriage is rock solid... and you want to develop skill levels... and you have been diagnosed as bipolar schizophrenic... then by all means offer him the chance to escape his fate.

Here is another thing to chew on. I doubt any insurance company would take a binder in this boat. Most insurance companies need s survey before they will bind. You can’t even get that freaking boat out of the water for a survey if the marinas need proof of insurance. You have no idea what is going on below the water line. You are “in harms way” my friend. The risks are astronomical.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 14:31   #18
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegu Club View Post
it will cost at least the asking price just to get it to the point
Actually I have no issue spending even 10x the purchase price on fixing up the right boat.

But far better starting points are available for much cheaper than that.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 14:53   #19

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Actually I have no issue spending even 10x the purchase price on fixing up the right boat.

But far better starting points are available for much cheaper than that.
I here you,
We purchased a Bristol 29.9, and indeed put a bunch of time effort and cash into her, and as you said, starting with a boat in better condition.
If you want to check out our blog, we listed our refit costs, and what we did to our boat.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:07   #20

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Dont buy this boat ! Hire a survayor and listen to the expert. A couple of hundred will save you thousands.
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 16:11   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Agreed with the choir. There is too much rot, too much evidence of zero maintenance, and the uninsured status confirms the owner has had no budget to keep up the boat. You'll be in well over your neck.

Ann-
When glazing is "crazed", you can't polish that out. At least here in the States, crazing is stress cracking that literally extends all the way through, or significantly into, the depth of the glazing. It is a structural damage and failure that simply cannot be removed or fixed, not a surface condition that can be polished out.
FWIW.
@ hellosailor,

Hi, there. Actually, it was stated that it was lexan, which is polycarbonate. It is acrylic (Perspex is one brand name) which crazes. Lexan hazes. Twice, now, have helped some friends with lexan glazing clean it up to see through. It can be done. It is a pita. However, if the glazing is actually crazed, then the hopeful seller was misrepresenting it, like the engine, if what Jules M posted was correct.

Even with acrylic, some crazing does not mean it is life or death to replace, but something to consider somewhere down the line, after the boat is sailable. That poor boat that Jules M wanted info about, she's really declined.

Ann
Old 30-03-2019, 17:15   #22
Marine Service Provider

RUN away
wtmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 17:23   #23
CLOD

Boat: none

Hard to believe how serious some are taking this
Old 30-03-2019, 18:14   #24

Boat: Brewer 12.8

This boat has negative value, there are so many more issues that will need to be addressed that you’re unaware of. This boat has been neglected.
Pass on this one. 🧐
BSMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2019, 23:35   #25

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Sailorboy, ha ha. I’ve read your posts for years. U think people are overestimating the trouble this boat represents?

I think this boat could be salvaged also. But at what expense and with how much labor? What is a man’s time worth?

Let me state my case. I bought a 5K dollar boat, a Sharpie, plywood and some glass. Unstayed schooner rig with not a wench on it. Trailerable boat and we splashed it in Benicia and I could not get a good view of the bottom. But she leaked like hell. Finally after and hour of sailing and pumps going full bore she began to “take up” and pumps now working about 1/4 speed. I knew there were some problems with tape on bilge turn and centerboard. I knew she needed some love. Simple boat. What possibly could be so horribly wrong. So, I took it on

Went to work on her in Napa Marina in November 2017. The bottom was a freaking mess. I had to sand it down to bare plywood the entire length and about a foot above the water line. No rot was found. I decided to fiberglass entire bottom, sanded centerboard and rudder down to solid wood and reglassed them.

The gunnels were wonky. The miserable cleats were loosy-goosey. Deck had many places where the yellow jacket fiberglass was coming apart. It had been well disguised with coarse/sandy non slip paint. Tore it all down and reglasses the entire deck and cabin top. All the box lids were in serious rates of nastiness. All those boxes got sanded down to bare wood and repainted to look new with multiple layers.

Boat came with a 4 hp two stroke. No reverse. Couldn’t have that BS with
My little wife on board. So I bought a 10 hp Suzuki EFI. motor well wouldn’t accommodate it. Had to hire one of the most respected guys in the yard to reconfigure the outboard well. Dan Meyers did a fabulous job. Took him almost two weeks to engineer it, carpentry, and glass it. Cost me almost 6K.

Winter of Nov 2017-May 2018 was a ball buster for rain. Hardly stopped for more than a few days for 5 months. I sh$t u not. I literally could do nothing after early December. Yard bills were reduced to half due to rains.

I am 40K into this project and still not done. I hate that I bought this boat. So I bought another boat in Mexico for 20 K. She will need work also. But mostly things like rigging for singlehanding. Install better electrical ... panels... better refridge. I think I can do all for less than 15k. I’ve already spent weeks in sea of Cortez and she is a wonderful boat.

My lesson was painful in loss of time and unbelievable amounts of money drained from the coffers. I should’ve been more patient and not so naive.

When I see a boat like what the OP is considering i say run like hell. That boat wouldn’t even interest me if it was free with all the neglect it shows This seller is trying to Escape demolition expenses.

I spent a year on my boat, 40 K, and still not done. Buy the best boat you can find where the owner has been diligent with maintenance. How can you even get a survey on this boat if the marina won’t lift her without insurance? An insurance company is going to need a survey before they will bind her. Seems like a “Catch 22” situation.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:31   #26

Boat: Aloha 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Time O25 View Post
It's because or the sellers like that guy thousands of boats are allowed to go to $&*% then sit unsold for years and if by some miracle are dumped on some unfortunate newbie turn such newbies away from boatownership.

I would understand the seller not wanting to pay the disposal fees and trying to give such boat away for free so some kid to learn DIY skills but to have the gall to ask $15k for it is beyond any comprehension. The seller is simply delusional or looking for suckers or, most likely, both.
That's how the kid who owns it now got stuck with it. He's only had it since last December. The guy who sold it to him stripped the boat clean and relied on the buyer not knowing its true value. Now the poor kid is trying to cut his losses. He paid $14,500 just four months ago.
Jules_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 04:42   #27

Boat: Aloha 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Actually, it was stated that it was lexan, which is polycarbonate. It is acrylic (Perspex is one brand name) which crazes. Lexan hazes. Twice, now, have helped some friends with lexan glazing clean it up to see through. It can be done. It is a pita. However, if the glazing is actually crazed, then the hopeful seller was misrepresenting it, like the engine, if what Jules M posted was correct.

Even with acrylic, some crazing does not mean it is life or death to replace, but something to consider somewhere down the line, after the boat is sailable. That poor boat that Jules M wanted info about, she's really declined.

Ann
Based on what you say, Ann, the hatches and ports are probably Perspex because they are all crazed badly.

As for Allegro II, sanity won the day. We've moved on.
Jules_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 06:37   #28
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 51' Beneteau

A good project boat
Take blue book price in great condition then itemized items needing repair/replacing with a price subtract this from bb price and submit it to owner with full details. You should get a good counter offer that will make doing the work worthwhile and end up with a great boat I’ve done this several times and don’t regret doing it
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 07:06   #29
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How Much Would You Pay For This Boat?

This is a Troll.. Right???

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2019, 07:20   #30

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Compare to this excellent condition, fresh water 1986 CS33 for $18,000 USD: https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sailboat/ham...ationFlag=true

For essentially the same price you could have a ready to sail, loaded, newer, same model boat.

When searching for a boat to buy, I suggest looking for the best possible boat, at the lowest possible price. NOT the worst boat at the highest price.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat