Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2015, 19:05   #31

Re: How much handicap is 50' Monohull 2 Mtr Draft, in GBR Fraser Island to Whitsunda

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
To the OP, on the question of draft. - Having a Monohull needn't be a compromise.
If you can afford a cat that's as Gucci as you say, then you can pick up, or have built, the mono of your choice pretty much. To include... one with a Lifting Keel, or a Swing Keel.

There are Plenty of great designs out there, which are scorchingly fast, have great interior space, & draw what your cat does, with the keel up. So the biggest losses are; heeling vs. not, deck space, short leg passage speed.

If you need tips on makes, models, or designers (aside from Google), drop me a note. As I can't help but to drool over some of the boats in said class available nowadays. - Heck, they even make lifting keel, cruising oriented, Open 40's, if you are desirous of such.

As an example, I just got this one in my inbox. I might redo the styling a touch, but this is the newest offering by RM Yachts http://www.rm-yachts.com/fichierUploader/RM1270-QR.jpg
Marc Lombard draws some fast boats... with 1 AND 2 hulls. And likely could be convinced to re-style a good number of them for the right $. Marc Lombard, architecte naval basé à La Rochelle

Or this pretty "little" number, from Angelo Lavranos, "Beluga". Which draws about 1m with the keel fully up, & can be also be sailed with it set @ half depth, IIRC Lavranos // Marine Design
And of course another option would be to get a cat that can sail to windward. Plenty of those around too.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2015, 20:06   #32

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: How much handicap is 50' Monohull 2 Mtr Draft, in GBR Fraser Island to Whitsunda

There was no misquote on his depth, I draw 1.7 and have passed through both the shallowest spots at low tide on neap tides. If, as Navionics illustrates, there is 1,5m at chart datum and neaps quiet often have lows well above datum this is easily explained. It also dictates that with any more than about 1.2m of tide he will pass over the shallow spots.

I am in Maryborough which is quiet a way from the coast and it is blowing like mad here at the moment (1400hrs). He could quiet easily pass down the Straits today, anchor until high tide tonight then pass over the bar on the lead lights when the wind has dropped for the night or hang about and wait on calmer conditions.

Get your hand off it mate.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2015, 13:59   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
And of course another option would be to get a cat that can sail to windward. Plenty of those around too.
And I see another Oram cat has just joined the fleet in the GSS, but has yet to have the sails fitted?
0urh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 13:23   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
A couple of you are misleading this poor fellow.... It is not 1.7 M draft, he has said 2.7 M

And yes, by the time he gets through the shallow bit south of White Cliffs at high tide behind Fraser, he is MANY HOURS yet to get to the shallows of Wide Bay Bar. THAT is the sickening lurch between swells. THAT is why I said it could-should take two days. 2.7 M draft??? High tides for both, yes, two days...

Having transited it many times this year now, I still say 2.7 Meter draft? Take the outside Fraser route IMO..

Kind regards, Helia 44, sitting snug in Mooloolaba
Crossed WBB yesterday. Shallowest bit was 7 metres. Sandy straits the day before. Shallowest bit was 3.4m.

John McEnroe
Old 11-12-2015, 13:49   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helia 44 View Post
....... can tell you the Race Committees like to prejudice Cats with courses that are hard on the wind as the far and away majority like upwind battle... .....but I would be happy to just be in the middle of the pack in tacking battles....[/U].
There is another answer of course. buy a cat that goes to windward with daggerboards that draws even less than the helia (and the mini keels wont fall off) that is at the front of the field.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 15:11   #36

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Actually, Factor's answer might suit the OP best. He has the shallow draft habit, and does like to anchor in spots we've not been to. If changes cats, he could race more successfully, and also have the least stress on his wife's neck. Seems like a neat compromise, give up some luxury, but keep the essentials, get to go faster, maybe do better in the racing.

Of course, giving up luxury may not be to their taste. It's their $$$$, their choice.

Ann
Old 11-12-2015, 15:24   #37

Get to anchorages hours sooner - my kind of luxury.

John McEnroe

Tags
draft, hull, monohull