Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2015, 06:05   #76

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: How important is bottom paint?

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Tributyl tin is the only wicked stuff, right? I don't think copper is as bad as it's sometimes made out to be, but the tin, I think there is proof about it poisoning the environment.
Some say copper is poisoning the environment as well. It's being outlawed in some of the more wacko states.

There are bottom paints on the market that use no metal. Do they work? Time will tell. Do I want to be the one to test them? Nope.
Old 07-03-2015, 06:28   #77
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How important is bottom paint?

Industries are destroying the environment.. there's more toxins come come down a single river in the so called 1st world than all the leisure boats on the E seaboard can shed in a year with their AF... but lets pass the buck on down..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:31   #78
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
The hard growth in your pictures tell me that either your paint was in less than good condition or that it is not a suitable anti fouling for the conditions it was used in. Or both.

I don't how old your paint was when the pix were taken, but an exremely soft ablative (like the one you use) can certainly be scrubbed into fair (or worse) condition in short order.

Thanks again for the feedback. Yes the anti foul was applied new in Europe by lagoon so I'm assuming it's not as potent as some other varieties, but generally in the past in the med it's been good for a season or two.
Pic was taken yesterday. Here it is after an hours dive using the remainder of our tanks after a dive on the wreck of the rhone.
I did use a scraper to flick off the barnacles but just very lightly touched the hull. I couldn't see any anti foul coming off or scratching doing it this way, unlike using a cloth which clouds the water showing a lot of the paint being eroded.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1425738559.391599.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	98431Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1425738579.892882.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	98432
And here's the other hull waiting till we get some more air in the tanks (and the barracuda to move on)
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1425738656.500662.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	98433
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:38   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: How important is bottom paint?

Rob... if your diving in the Lagoon.. be careful not to let any water down your throat and hose yourself down really well after.
Seen some bad skin infections kick off with folk doing that.. better to go out to one of the bays and do it

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:49   #80
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Haha thanks Phil. No way was I diving in that lagoon! No we are currently in little harbour, peter island in the BVIs. Clear warm water. The fish seem to like the critters falling off the hull. Hopefully they won't get a case of st maartin belly
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 06:56   #81
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_E View Post
I have an acquaintance, here in Puerto Rico, who just painted his bottom with US Navy paint. He claims to have gotten in from the, now closed, Roosevelt Roads Navy base when they were closing it. (I'm not sure how relevant that is??)
The U.S. Navy uses commercially available, copper-based anti fouling paints. Nothing particularly special about it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:12   #82

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Industries are destroying the environment.. there's more toxins come come down a single river in the so called 1st world than all the leisure boats on the E seaboard can shed in a year with their AF... but lets pass the buck on down..
Which is exactly why we have no discharge zones! (look we are saving the environment If it wasn't for you boaters, our world's oceans would be pristine)

we break up dams, so more fish can spawn (after catching 98% in the open ocean)

So that we don't look at the real issues, but just the facade.
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:26   #83

Boat: 2001 Hunter 460

I am getting a better idea, logistics and unknown prices play a part but it does have an old anti foul job on it so I can go either way. .. thanks for the advice from everyone

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tucamonday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 07:55   #84

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucamonday View Post
I am getting a better idea, logistics and unknown prices play a part but it does have an old anti foul job on it so I can go either way. .. thanks for the advice from everyone

Sent from my SM-G900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The old antifouling may not be useful anymore. Many bottom paints lose their toxicity after the boat has been hauled for afew months.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:02   #85

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Same is true of pumping the head overboard. A town 60 miles south of me dumped a couple of hundred thousand gallons of sewage this summer. They were not given a fine. Probably more sewage than all the cruisers in Florida could dump in a year.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 17:07   #86
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Same is true of pumping the head overboard. A town 60 miles south of me dumped a couple of hundred thousand gallons of sewage this summer. They were not given a fine. Probably more sewage than all the cruisers in Florida could dump in a year.
How does a town (these days) even have a set of pipes that can even remotely connect people's asses to the river.

I mean in what universe do sewer pipes lead to rivers these days?

"Let's see. Dan craps in his toilet here and we connect it to his neighborhood drain with this pipe and the neighborhood we connect to the sewage processing plant with this pipe and then... Well hell Bob, we gotta connect this crap plant up to the river. Oh and while we are at it how about connecting it up to the lake and to the fountain on main street? Never know when we are gonna need to dump 100,000 gallons of sh!t in the river"
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 17:15   #87
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Many coastal municipalities in this country have antiquated sewage/storm drain systems that empty into the waterways in the event of an overflow event. Unfortunately not all that uncommon.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 17:23   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_E View Post
I have an acquaintance, here in Puerto Rico, who just painted his bottom with US Navy paint. He claims to have gotten in from the, now closed, Roosevelt Roads Navy base when they were closing it. (I'm not sure how relevant that is??)

I still wonder what the "Dutch Submarine" paint is and whether it is a viable option. Can it be painted over one of the "normal" barrier coats. I think it's time to take mine down to the gelcoat and go from there.

Bill
Jotun. May no longer be available... don't know where it is and if it is the same.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 17:25   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
How does a town (these days) even have a set of pipes that can even remotely connect people's asses to the river.

I mean in what universe do sewer pipes lead to rivers these days?

"Let's see. Dan craps in his toilet here and we connect it to his neighborhood drain with this pipe and the neighborhood we connect to the sewage processing plant with this pipe and then... Well hell Bob, we gotta connect this crap plant up to the river. Oh and while we are at it how about connecting it up to the lake and to the fountain on main street? Never know when we are gonna need to dump 100,000 gallons of sh!t in the river"
The city of Seattle dumps Millions every year.. yes that's right Millions. As mentioned, the system gets inundated in a major rain or snow melt event... Imagine that in Seattle! They are working toward fixing it...but it's real common throughout the world and the US.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 17:26   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Many coastal municipalities in this country have antiquated sewage/storm drain systems that empty into the waterways in the event of an overflow event. Unfortunately not all that uncommon.
Note that I said "These Days) - the question was rhetorical.

We beat the hell out of boaters regarding sewage dumping yet we still "allow" municipalities to keep their pipes hooked up to rivers.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, import, paint