Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2014, 07:50   #1

Boat: Hunter Legend 40
How far can I get and where should I slip?

Seeking local knowledge. As some of you know, I just bought a Hunter 40. I'll be moving her from Dania Beach (Lauderdale) to Bradenton (Tampa) beginning November 10th. Got about 10 days to do this so no big rush.

The question is how far should I expect to get on day one out of Dania Beach? Leaving dock at 8 AM. And where would be a good marina to slip in that evening? (Staying at marinas all the way - dingy is in Bradenton) Assume 6.5 kts. And 4'9" draft.

Not very familiar with the area and a tad intimidated by all the traffic in Miami.

Thanks, as usual, for all the input.
Old 16-10-2014, 08:16   #2

Boat: 1964 Chris Craft SailYacht 35
Re: How far can I get and where should I slip?

What's your planned route? Sounds like an inside job but was wondering. (Also, if inside route, that's a very optimistic SOG. I never get to avg. more than about 3 knots when traveling the intracoastal.) ICW mileage/day for me between 30-50. Good luck and safe trip.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 08:24   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai View Post
What's your planned route? Sounds like an inside job but was wondering. (Also, if inside route, that's a very optimistic SOG. I never get to avg. more than about 3 knots when traveling the intracoastal.)
I'm still working on that. Frankly, weather permitting, I'd rather be outside. ICW is crap weather contingent.

Three knots. That's the local knowledge i'm looking for.

How would you approach it?
Old 16-10-2014, 08:43   #4

Boat: 1964 Chris Craft SailYacht 35

I also highly prefer outside routes when weather allows. What's your capable crew contingent? Not familiar w the marinas in that area. Been a while since that far down and was on other guys boat. I prefer to anchor if possible. Decide on a route, I am sure someone can help more than I can with that as to specifics, keep the days easy, travel safe and enjoy the ride. Post us some pics when you get it going.
Bonzai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 08:54   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
Seeking local knowledge. As some of you know, I just bought a Hunter 40. I'll be moving her from Dania Beach (Lauderdale) to Bradenton (Tampa) beginning November 10th. Got about 10 days to do this so no big rush.

The question is how far should I expect to get on day one out of Dania Beach? Leaving dock at 8 AM. And where would be a good marina to slip in that evening? (Staying at marinas all the way - dingy is in Bradenton) Assume 6.5 kts. And 4'9" draft.

Not very familiar with the area and a tad intimidated by all the traffic in Miami.

Thanks, as usual, for all the input.
I did it this spring (Key Biscayne to St. Petes with the same draft you have. I caught some weather between West Palm Beach and Stuart, and had to back track, which cost me a day. It took me a week. Make sure you know what the water level in Lake Okeechobee is going to be.. that can be a constraint.

As others said, you won't even be close to the 6.5 knots. Plan on 3.5 to 4. I anchored in the ICW at some spots where it was wide enough.

If you choose to go outside around the Keys, be aware that there are very few areas to anchor overnight on the Gulf side. I thought about it, and as it was a new to me boat, chose the ICW route. I would go up the east coast to Stuart, weather permitting, and then ICW from there. It's a nice trip. There is a Corp of Engineers Marina at Olga attached to their campground I would highly recommend. Very inexpensive, and the campground is super clean.
Old 16-10-2014, 09:01   #6

I was going to bring up the Okeechobee Waterway as another option as well. Sail up to Stuart; 1 long day from Stuart to Clewiston (backwoods FL but there's a marina/restaurant/bar there); 1 more long day to Ft Myers. Then we did an easy overnight from Ft Myers to St. Pete.
Tex0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 09:23   #7
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Plenty of planning ahead for you. Is your mast height 58'6"? You can't get under the Julia Tuttle bridge in Miami (mile 1087). You'll need to go out at Port Everglade and come back in at Governor's Cut. Plenty of Marinas in the area there. I can look them up if you like? Or skip Miami, and come in and tie up at No Name Harbor. There, you can tie up on the wall during daytime, and anchor at night.

From Miami, you'll do the Hawk Channel to Marathon (around 100 miles). We anchor at Rodriguez Key on the way. You can tie up at the City Marina in Boot Key (Marathon).

From there you go under the 7 mile bridge, and cross the Gulf to Little Shark River (anchorage). After that, another anchorage in the Everglades (Indian Key Pass), or possibly a marina Rod and Gun Club (5 1/2' depth), near Everglade City.

From there we stop at Marco, and anchor again. Maybe you can get in to the marina, but we've never tried because of depth.

If you're fast enough, skip Marco and go to Naples. I've never gone in there, so not sure about the entrance.

I'll look at our notes for more info to continue....if you want?

Personally, I think 10 days is very optimistic. You will need a break to get weather covering that many miles. Hawk Channel isn't fun if it's blowin. And the Gulf get's nasty too, especially if you catch a cold front.

You need a Waterway Guide at least. And Active Captain is a good tool for planning as well. It's free - https://activecaptain.com/

Forget marinas (only) for the trip. Figure on anchoring out a fair bit.

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 09:26   #8

Thanks, Ralph. I'll take all the info you've got. PM me if necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 16-10-2014, 09:28   #9
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Make sure you know what the water level in Lake Okeechobee is going to be.. that can be a constraint.
I doubt the Okeechobee is and option. Isn't there at least one fixed bridge at 49'?

Ralph
Old 16-10-2014, 09:41   #10
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTSmith View Post
Thanks, Ralph. I'll take all the info you've got. PM me if necessary.
More later. I gotta go help a buddy on his boat for a bit. Maybe take a look at my blog? Click on contents and start at 4/09/14 where we begin our trip back.

Ralph
Old 16-10-2014, 09:48   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
I doubt the Okeechobee is and option. Isn't there at least one fixed bridge at 49'?

Ralph
I think your right. I have a 48 mast, and forgot about that constraint. I suspect the Hunter is higher.
Old 16-10-2014, 12:53   #12
RTB

Hunter specs show 58'6" for that model.

I forgot to mention.....once you pass the 7 mile bridge, it is a crab pot maze (nightmare!) in Florida Bay, up to Little Shark. Past that, you still find strings of them offshore. Forget night sailing! I'd recommend having another set of eyes on the boat. It is exhausting seeing and dodging the pots, especially if it's choppy.

I just checked again, and you should be able to get into the Marina at Factory Bay (Marco Island). Also, the inlet at Naples (Gordon Pass) looks sketchy. I'd pass on it.

From Marco, we went to Sanibel Island and anchored. But if you want a marina, Ft. Meyers Beach is right there. We stayed at Moss Marine Marina on the trip down. It's nice, and they have fuel and a nice cruiser's lounge. A good place to leave your boat if you are behind schedule due to weather. Actually, you should spend some time there. It's a great stop!

From Ft. Meyers Beach on, you can stay in the ICW (you'll probably be ready by then). After FMB, we anchor at Cape Haze, but there are two marinas 3 miles north of our anchorage.

From Cape Haze, we go to Sarasota and anchor, but there is a marina and moorings there as well. If you are making good time, you may just make Bradenton (and skip Sarasota).

I'll do my best to give you some ideas of mileage for planning-

Fort Lauderdale-Key Biscayne 32 miles (plus going out and in). Maybe only 1/2 mile outside to stay out of the stream.

Key Biscayne-Rodriguez Key 50 miles

Rodriguez - Marathon 50 miles

Marathon - Little Shark 45 miles

Little Shark - Indian Key (Russell Pass) 35 miles

Indian Key - Marco 35 miles+ You need to go around Romano Shoals. If it's calm, you could just anchor on the Shoals for the night.

Marco-Ft. Meyers Beach 33 miles

Ft. Meyers Beach - Cape Haze 41 miles

Cape Haze - Sarasota 37 miles + 15 to Bradenton (if you don't stop).

These are just what we did. You can adjust to your liking, but at least have a good idea about what is involved. We use 5 knots for planning, and usually is very close for us. You should be a knot faster at least I would think.

Too bad I'm back in Texas, or I'd offer to help you get the boat home. It's a nice trip!

Ralph
Old 16-10-2014, 14:26   #13
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Just what Ralph said but we would go direct from Little Shark to Marco. Maybe 55 miles. Also Gordon Pass at Naples is a good inlet, and there are a couple of good anchorages as well as a couple of marinas.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 15:25   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post

Ralph

Unless mistaken, I believe there is a service that uses water barrels to heel your boat over to get under that bridge
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2014, 15:31   #15
RTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Also Gordon Pass at Naples is a good inlet

Good to know. Waterway guide made it sound iffy, but I never looked at the inlet on the charts. Thanks!

Ralph