Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2020, 11:26   #1

Boat: Currently boatless
How do they compare: Amel Super Maramu & Tayana 55 CC

Which are the better boat and why. Say they're both 1991 models, well maintained and sensibly upgraded
Hofmeyr12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 15:53   #2

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Re: How do they compare: Amel Super Maramu & Tayana 55 CC

Is there a purpose to this question?
Old 07-06-2020, 17:14   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It is my understanding that the Amel's have thicker layup, and were conceived from the beginning to be reliable cruising boats, easy for a couple to handle, go anywhere boats.

The Tayana 55 has a much lighter layup (sorry I don't have a picture to show you of this). It is adequate to keep the water on the outside, but I have no interest in them because of having seen one split from toe rail to waterline, roughly amidships. The boat was brought into port that way, and evenually was repaired. However, the impact that caused the split also dislocated all the interior joinery aft of the shrouds, which included the whole galley. It was an intentional ramming, so a highly unlikely event, but it has colored my impression of the boats. Plus, it's a Taiwan built boat. Too many oddities in construction from there for me to feel safe with them. Others' mileage varies, and in fact, some of them seem to be pretty good. You could reasonably call it "prejudice" on my part. To my eye, they are prettier, but there are places that mast is too tall for.

Which is why the question in the above post should be answered. If you want it for the ICW, the Amel's masts won't be a problem; the Tayana's mast, will. So, it partly depends on your taste, what values you put on practicality over aesthetics.

Ann
Old 07-06-2020, 17:34   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

The Amel is a complex machine, and is in my opinion a World class cruising boat, meant to and very capable of crossing oceans. Best be a decent Mechanic / Engineer capable of troubleshooting problems though.
However like anything else it has its shortcomings depending on mission, so rather than asking which boat is better, Maybe a better question is which boat is better for X cruising grounds?
A Super Maramu is an a outstanding, high quality boat, but for where I Cruise, it’s not the right boat for example. But if I were considering a Circumnavigation, from what I have observed it’s a fine boat.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 17:39   #5

The Amel is the Citroen of the seas.....
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 17:42   #6

Actually Anne I was interested in an Amel until I found it had split longitudinally after a grounding on the pacific, and had been patched up quickly and passed off to a new buyer with the assistance of a compliant surveyor...
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 17:56   #7

Boat: 2020 Amel 50

both are larger more complex boats that are sea kindly and will take you safely around the world.. or just for coastal cruising. The comments above about being mechanically/electrically handy really apply to both given their complexities.

personally i'd err on the side of the amel.

why?
- the engine room and general access for maintenance is better/easier
- no teak decks. If you've never had to deal with replacing one or keeping one up all i can say is that this alone is almost reason enough. tearing off or replacing teak decks can easily be the same as the cost to do a substantial re-fit on the Amel.
- the online community around amel's is pretty amazing so assuming you're doing the work on the boat, you'll have access to a crapload of tribal wisdom.
- the protected cockpit... other than photoshoots, no cruiser loves being in crappy weather or too much sun. :-)
- I've sailed on an older Tayana (not a 55) and an amel SM... the IMHO the amel will better for trade wind cruising... but doesn't sail to winward as well as the Tayana (this gets into what someone above wrote about what you want to do with the boat)... but personally the Amel will be easier for a couple to handle than the Tayana..

best of luck in your choice.

Cheers,
-justin
Mag3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 19:39   #8

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If you want it for the ICW, the Amel's masts won't be a problem; the Tayana's mast, will.
I beg to differ... An Amel Super Maramu’s main mast is 65’’6” high BEFORE any antennas or wind instruments. NOT ICW compatable.

Ours is 67’ 8” to the water with everything installed.

Doesn’t matter to us, we prefer being offshore, but anyone buying an Amel on this recommendation might be a bit disappointed...
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 03:43   #9

I'm looking to buy
Old 08-06-2020, 03:47   #10

Thanks Ann, I'm looking to buy. While I'll not looking at ICW compatibilty I'm totally in the Amel camp but am looking around before I spend the money.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:50   #11

Thanks Justin, I'm looking at off-shore long distance cruising so Amels's relativiely limited windward abilities will be ok. I like all the points you raised about the Amel too and some more.
Old 08-06-2020, 03:53   #12

I should have been more specific; I am looking at circumnavigating
Old 08-06-2020, 04:05   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hofmeyr12 View Post
I should have been more specific; I am looking at circumnavigating
Out of those two boats, I would go with Amel for that.

No cruising boat is really much of any good upwind. I wouldn't assume that the Tayana will be dramatically better upwind. Nor will you have much need for upwind performance on a trade winds circumnav. Making a cruising boat perform upwind is an expensive and laborious undertaking -- don't ask me how I know.

Amel is an acquired taste aesthetically (putting it mildly), but unlike the Tayana or most any other series built cruising boat, they are purpose-built for crossing oceans. They are designed and fully equipped for that duty. An easy choice for a circumnav if you don't want to spend a lot of time and money upgrading a more normal cruising boat.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 00:14   #14

Boat: Custom steel schooner 15m oa

FWIW the Amel wins hands down. It was designed for 'low maintenance' (hence external brightwork to be varnished) but yes has an inevitable maintenance requirement. It has been refined through a process of continuous improvement with all the huge experience drawn from the other models. My only dislike is the degree to which the cockpit is enclosed (we do mostly tradewind sailing). This link pretty much says it all https://wavetrain.net/2010/08/19/ame...uising-system/

All I know about the Tayana 55 is that a couple of friends have one and they had to tear our half the galley just to replace the engione exhaust hose.

I wish I had the opportunity you have. Good luck!
sailorphil9 is offline   Reply With Quote