Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2020, 09:30   #1

Boat: Toes in the surfline and eyes on tomorrow's horizon
How do tall guys deal with

short headroom boats? Besides bending all the time?

I'm 2 meters tall and so far all I've found are that only the leaky tiki's and most boats over 45 feet have enough headspace to stand up straight below decks.
Rob_P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 09:46   #2

Re: How do tall guys deal with

They use the metric system in CA?

For me I don’t buy a boat to live on it cruise that I can’t stand up in, there are some smaller boats that fit that bill, I’m 6’ and the smaller island packets and a few others seem fine.
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 10:48   #3

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

I’m 6’4” tall so you are there about four inches taller than me, our boat has approximately 6’3” headroom and an additional 3” under the salon hatch and companionway slider, so it works out okay for me. Being that you are around 6” 7” tall, you’re gonna need a bigger boat, likely something pushing 38 to 40 feet LOA, to accommodate your stature. It is a real issue for tall folk, finding a boat with a berth long enough to accommodate you will as well be difficult. All you can do is take a tape measure with you when you go on your appointments to look at boats you are interested in, a berth of 7’ 6” in length will be a minimum for you to
Lie down on.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 12:01   #4

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter, 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob_P View Post

I'm 2 meters tall and so far all I've found are that only the leaky tiki's and most boats over 45 feet have enough headspace to stand up straight below decks.
One thought is the Pearson Countess 44. 6' 6" headroom and more affordable. I had a friend who lived on one in the Caribbean and loved it.

James Baldwin has a list of bluewater cruisers that are on the smaller end of the spectrum and some are more affordable. Headroom is listed for many of the models though I don't know if any will accommodate 2 meters. https://www.atomvoyages.com/planning...oats-list.html
esarratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 12:15   #5

Boat: Bavaria Vision 42

It's a real PITA - well that's locationally wrong - it's a real pain in the head/neck area. I'm a bit shorter than you - 196cm - and the best I can recommend is to walk slow, low and loose. Our H38 allows me full standing room in the galley area, the head, part of the main cabin ( inc one spot standing under a hatch) and a tiny part of the rear cabin that allows me to stand up and dress/undress. I've just had to learn to live with it.
The bunk in our cabin was supposedly full queen-sized but I always end up on the diagonal because it isn't really and also has a footboard, much to the dislike of the Admiral who loses her space. I ended up fabricating an width-wise extension to the bunk that turned the E-W queen into a N-S king. Just barely enough room to do it ( and 2 doors into the cabin, one through the head) but has it ever improved the sleeping and reduced the complaints !!

The Hunter has an arch that is probably 195cm with stereo speakers 2 or 3 cm lower. I've broken the plastic guard strips on them and have had to round off some sharp corners that were left. We have a full bimini/enclosure on the boat and I've replaced all the spring connectors holding the supports in place with truss headed bolts ( nylock nuts UP) so I now just stun myself every time I clobber it getting up on deck instead of also cutting my scalp open. The dodger above the companion way - well ... who doesn't hit their head there.

We've been looking at a new to us boat with one of the necessary features being more headroom. A number of powerboats had been on our list but a combo of short bunks with footboards, no headroom in the head and strategically placed handholds have eliminated all of them. We don't want to go up much in size ( both for price and wanting to maintain our current 40ft slip) so have started looking again at sailboats with our latest target a Jeanneau 410. It has stand up headroom for me throughout the main cabin, the head and most of the forward owners cabin. It has a full queen-sized centerline bunk with no footboard on it so no need to sleep diagonally - just wear socks to bed if it's a bit colder cause the big feet will always find a way to kick the bed covers out. And it has no arch in the cockpit so the bimini can be constructed high enough to clear, with outside walkways that mean no clambering up over seats to get up on deck. We just have to decide if the $$ are worth it at this point. I also believe that the Catalina's in the same size range have good headroom.

Baseball caps are deadly imo. The brim reduces upward visibility (read more collisions) and they all have this stupid little metal stud right on top. It is more than capable of cutting a scalp open when you brush under/against the overhead arch or, for that matter, any overhead obstruction that you don't bend quite far enough to clear under ( like every doorway in the frigging boat !).

I don't trust any headroom numbers given in the boat ads or specs. I've seen 4 different numbers used on the same model. The only thing that I trust is a walk through and seeing that there is headroom for me where I need/want it and where overhead handholds are ( I hate them). Have to have it in the main cabin and the head imo, and wider doorways also help ( an easier bend of the long body).
We've had our boat for 15 years and I've hit everywhere that can be hit - mostly hard too. I've had to get medical attention for one scalp cut to stop the bleeding - thankfully a commercial adventure boat with full first-aid on the dock next to us. It's always worse early in the season when we're starting to use the boat again. But, if you can't afford/don't want to go a lot bigger, all I can suggest is move slow, walk low and loose
desodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 13:13   #6

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:

I found places in the boat where I can stand (not many) and where I could I designed the interior layout around those locations.

So, for instance, doing the dishes is time consuming and requires standing for a while, so I moved the sink closer to the companionway.

Other than that I stand and stretch regularly with my head partly out the main deck hatch.

The rest of the time it’s planet-of-the-apes mode for me.
Old 19-11-2020, 14:00   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post
Most boats give their measurements in metric so I thought I'd put it that way to save all the old salty dogs the bother of trying to convert and giving up at the beginning.

This wasn't supposed to be a math test.
Old 19-11-2020, 16:21   #8

Boat: Sabre 402

You might find a boat that heels a lot is more comfortable for you, since you'll be standing at an angle as the boat sails. (Avoid catamarans.) Another route might be the Tartan 10 option: huge main hatch opening so you simply stand in the hatchway when "below".
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 07:00   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
You might find a boat that heels a lot is more comfortable for you, since you'll be standing at an angle as the boat sails. (Avoid catamarans.) Another route might be the Tartan 10 option: huge main hatch opening so you simply stand in the hatchway when "below".
Which basically means that my X foot long boat is effectively 3 feet square?

Some of the 40'+ cats have more headroom than mono's of the same length. Layout is the key to headroom as well. FP puts the galley at the back which is the tallest part of the salon. Leopard puts the sink all the way in the front which is the shortest part of the salon.

Unfortunately, I think that if this is something that I decide to do because I enjoy it, I'm looking at buying something around 50' or more. Anything shorter and I'll have to change my name to Quasimodo.
Old 20-11-2020, 07:53   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalingSue View Post

For me I don’t buy a boat to live on it cruise that I can’t stand up in, there are some smaller boats that fit that bill, I’m 6’ and the smaller island packets and a few others seem fine.

For those unfamiliar with the metric system, 2 meters is more like 6'7", not 6'. It's a different ballgame!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:35   #11

Boat: Pearson 323, Tayana V42CC

Back when I was 1.93M I found a "tall person boat list". I wound up buying a Pearson 323 because the berths and head were big enough and it worked for what I wanted. I lowered the floor 3". Pretty simple job and benefit of easier access to hull and more storage down low. Check and make sure no one has added on top of the sole.

Finding a tall person boat is a challenge. The berths are the hardest to solve, ceiling height can be overcome. Or just get 4 back surgeries and come in at just under 1.8M like I did.
Scubaseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:38   #12

Boat: Beneteau 323

I'm about 193 cm (6'4") and have long since assumed accurately that I will hit my head a lot. There are places in my Beneteau 323 where I can stand, but there are also numerous places I can bash my head -- and I do. Our large rear double berth under the cockpit is great in terms of length, but us tall people need very expensive boats.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 09:50   #13

Boat: Hinckley 59
Send a message via AIM to caffel

I'm at 2m and sailed 4 years on a Benford designed North Sea cutter with a customized interior for tall sailors. The lowered cabin sole and other changes were made easier by the 'raised flush deck' design that Benford had selected. So I'd keep an eye out for that style.
caffel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:00   #14

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

I have an Island Packet, Packet Cat 35 . At 6'1" I have headroom throughout the boat and almost standing headroom in the engine rooms. For a 35' cat, I have not seen one laid out close to how well this one is.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 14:31   #15

Boat: S&S 36

Quote:

Hi. I m 192cm sailing in ss36, comfortable in the saloon, head. (Main areas) however. the boom is an other story , it's a real headache. Good luck
Nico Domino is offline   Reply With Quote