Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2020, 08:41   #1

Boat: C+C Landfall 38
How do I rig reefing lines with 5 cringles?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BD318E04-DCC3-47DD-892B-E2BEED1D8341.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	429.2 KB
ID:	219373
Hi
How do I rig the jiffy lines through these cringles? I have two reefing lines. There are two goose necks at the mast.
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 08:41   #2

Re: How do I rig reefing lines with 5 cringles?

Sorry that’s upside down
Old 15-07-2020, 08:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Sorry that’s upside down
These aren't.

References:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=...ih=561&dpr=1.5
Montanan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 09:15   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A couple of good books on sailing will help. I'm not being sarcastic. This is really basic sail rigging, suggesting additional background reading would help. Most of use have read dozens of books as part of our nautical education.

The cringles are the eyes on the leach and luff. They are fitted with large reinforcements and take the load.

The eyes in the body of the sail (not called cringles) are for tying up the bunt and are NOT rigged until the sail is reefed. They are just to keep it from flapping around. If you pull hard on them you can tear a sail.
Old 15-07-2020, 09:27   #5

Rigging reefing lines

Yep. Understood. Have the books- looking at the pictures. Reading. The boat was rigged for me last year. Now I am learning by doing.
Old 15-07-2020, 10:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Attachment 219373
Hi
How do I rig the jiffy lines through these cringles? I have two reefing lines. There are two goose necks at the mast.
Not sure the question

The five holes ...tack , clew and three reef points

You reef the sail with tack and clew..two

You control loose sail on the top of the boom with the three reef points

These three reef points are not permanently rigged , you simply reef the mainsail , luff and clew pulled down with your permanently rigged reefing lines ....then grab three sail ties , thread thru the point and tie up the loose sail

https://afloat.ie/sail/olympic-sailing/annalise-murphy/itemlist/tag/Offshore%20?start=30
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	13D15EE0-4B9B-45B7-BDC9-DABDA950AED1.jpeg
Views:	145
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	219404  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 16:30   #7

Boat: Maine Cat 38

If I am understanding the question correctly...each of the three eyes in the center of the sail get their own short line. The purpose of these three short lines are to secure the section of sail that is gathered at the boom when the sail is reefed. This section of sail gathered along the boom is called the bunt. Tie the bunt into an orderly bundle using a shoe lace knot in these lines run through the eyes and around the bunt. Do not tie these bunt lines around the boom.
Old 15-07-2020, 16:47   #8

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

Yes, the big cringle at the tack (bottom front of the sail) goes on the gooseneck hook. The reefing line is tied to the boom, goes straight up to the big cringle at the clew (bottom back of the sail) and back down to the end of the boom then through it and to whatever other arrangement you have to haul on this line.

Don't put any stress on the reefing points (the small ones in the middle of the sail). They are for tidying up the reefed portion of the sail by tying small lines through them and around the unused sail. There should never be any significant tension on these. Most people don't even bother with them.
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 17:59   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

LauraLeeGee:

I'm assuming you meant you have two horns or reefing hooks on the boom near the gooseneck. We use "dog bones" in the tacks, with the ones for the 3rd reef having a longer strop. The "dog bones" consist of two rings, attached to a strap (ours are tubular climbing webbing which is hand stitched together, but you could make them out of dyneema and splice the line around the rings. The rings have to be big enough to not come through the cringles.)

Our main sail is ~500 sq ft., and has leach control lines to above each clew , adjustable at the mast, they run over tiny little blocks hand sewn to the luff. (Ordered the sail that way.)

The reefing lines are run in the usual way, through deck organizers back to the cockpit. One of us goes forward to lower the halyard first, get the bone on the hook, then re-tighten the halyard, and after that, we crank in the reef. On our boat, due to swept back spreaders, we generally come up into the wind to reef, and slow the boat way down, so there isn't so much spray. If you have something like bat cars, a fully battened main, and in line spreaders, you can probably reef on any point of sail.

Ann
Old 15-07-2020, 19:51   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
We use "dog bones" in the tacks, with the ones for the 3rd reef having a longer strop. The "dog bones" consist of two rings, attached to a strap (ours are tubular climbing webbing which is hand stitched together, but you could make them out of dyneema and splice the line around the rings. The rings have to be big enough to not come through the cringles.)

From the photo, the OP already has a dog bone in the reef tack.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 20:24   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
These three reef points are not permanently rigged , you simply reef the mainsail , luff and clew pulled down with your permanently rigged reefing lines ....then grab three sail ties ,

They frequently are rigged, with reefing "pennants" , "buntlines" or "ties", short lengths of line running through the small cringle with an overhand knot on either side to keep them in place.

These should be light line which will break easily. When using them, wrap them around the sail and tie with a reef knot (that's about the only tie you every use one f those on a boat) to keep the foot bundled up - but don't wrap them around the boom! That's assuming you sail is loose footed. If your main has a boltrope running through a boom track, tie them very loosely round the boom and use even lighter line that will break if any load on goes it.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 21:19   #12

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I believe, if I am seeing the photo correctly, the first cringle (grommet) close to the bottom of the sail close to the boom (tack) is actually the Cunningham, an adjusting point, not a reefing point. There is probably a corresponding cringle out near the clew. That one if also an adjusting point, called a "flattening reef." Also not a reef point so ignore those two for now unless you are planning to do some racing. If you only have provision for two reef lines then just run the two on the boom to the cringles on the outer edge of the sail (leech) and ignore the third reef cringles for now. That'd be my 2 cents worth.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 10:52   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 43ds

So much easier to have an in-mast furling main. No more problems.
Andrew
Old 16-07-2020, 11:13   #14

Boat: Catalina-Morgan 504

Convert to lazy-jacks and stack-pack (made by converting the mainsail cover) and use a single-line reefing system. Problem solved, and way easier to use.
Wallaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2020, 12:14   #15

Boat: Beneteau First 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMetals View Post
So much easier to have an in-mast furling main. No more problems.
Andrew
Slab reefing is a problem?
sandy stone is offline   Reply With Quote