Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2019, 05:50   #1

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse
How are wing keels constructed

I'm looking at a boat with a wing keel and I am curious how the wings are constructed. Is the whole keel, fin and wings, just a single piece of molded lead? Or is there an internal frame structure?

I have little experience with external, bolt-on lead keels. In an encapsulated keel, the strength (in regards to storage on the hard, groundings, and low-tide bumping at anchor) is in the fiberglass hull. On a normal external lead fin, I would imagine that it's pretty much all compressive strength of the lead, and it might get dented up a bit, but that's all. On a wing keel, if the wings are just molded lead, and there is some sort of upwards load that is not even across the bottom of the fin or in the center of the fin, then you have a bending moment on the wing(s). Are you just depending on the bending strength of lead at that point?

I would ideally never ground the boat or anchor in water so shallow that I risk bumping the bottom. But I just read a long thread about draft in the bahamas, and a lot of people were talking like it was inevitable and normal to run aground at times or bump at anchor.
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2019, 09:14   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: How are wing keels constructed

“Keel Construction, Design and Repair” ~ William Souter, MarsKeel Technology
http://marskeel.com/publications/MarsKeel_2016_SAMS.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 14:46   #3

Hi
On a Catalina the lead keel is cast as either a fin or wing.
The wing is usually heavier as the aspect ratio is lower (not as deep).
Cheers
Tom
Nineteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 16:23   #4

Boat: Caliber 33

Someone at our club hit something hard this past summer with his Benneteau First (1985ish) and had a nasty surprise when he hauled out. The wing portion of the keel was detached from the rest of the keel by about 1". It seemed to be bolted on to the rest of the keel. It is iron and a little rusty, but still disconcerting.
Laskadog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 17:26   #5

Boat: Sabre 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laskadog View Post
Someone at our club hit something hard this past summer with his Benneteau First (1985ish) and had a nasty surprise when he hauled out. The wing portion of the keel was detached from the rest of the keel by about 1". It seemed to be bolted on to the rest of the keel. It is iron and a little rusty, but still disconcerting.
On a Sabre with a shallow draft the lead keel with a wing is cast as a single unit from a mold. The problem is if you go aground even in a soft bottom, it become very difficult to use reverse to escape because the wing acts like a barb and digs into the bottom. We had the misfortune of going around in a soft bottom at near low tide. Thirty minutes later the wind increased exactly at low tide and the boat fell over causing significant damage to the keel. Although it is difficult to detect, the trailing edge of the keel is warped/bent and the wing is obviously deformed. The keel weights 8500 pounds and we are waiting for its replacement to arrive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	434.1 KB
ID:	206515  
Old 07-01-2020, 18:24   #6

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

If it is a boat with a iron keel, I’d pass on the boat. If however, it is lead, the wings are capable of any reasonable grounding as the keel should be one solid cast.

On our previous boat, Hunter 40.5, my friend got too close to a ledge and hit hard. At our annual haul, I saw a big chunk of one fin bent back like it a tin can looks after peeling off the top. A few whacks of persuasion with a sledge and it was back to normal. An iron keel would have been totaled.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel