Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2022, 11:37   #1

Hot market?

Hello, everyone.

We've continued to do our due diligence and make sure we are making the right choice in vessel. While it's been difficult to overcome the FOMO, we've walked away from several deals because they weren't right for us. Admittedly, our goals have changed a bit too.

The question I have is: is the market still considered "hot"? We've only tracked the market for the last 16 months or so. I see boats listings lasting longer but prices haven't dropped much.

Those of you who have been watching for 3-4 years, what's the % in overall pricing have you seen? (Let's just ignore inflation for the moment).

Thanks, all!
Misfitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:47   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression
Re: Hot market?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misfitts View Post
Hello, everyone.

We've continued to do our due diligence and make sure we are making the right choice in vessel. While it's been difficult to overcome the FOMO, we've walked away from several deals because they weren't right for us. Admittedly, our goals have changed a bit too.

The question I have is: is the market still considered "hot"? We've only tracked the market for the last 16 months or so. I see boats listings lasting longer but prices haven't dropped much.

Those of you who have been watching for 3-4 years, what's the % in overall pricing have you seen? (Let's just ignore inflation for the moment).

Thanks, all!
Market is so hot next Saturday i go to sea couple boat 45 ft from 2017,2018,2019 if boat is not hit keel to hard, have devastated interior i make offer for one. delivery is after charter seson october. No survey, not nothing fast look and offer as is.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 17:10   #3

Boat: Rafiki 37

It's been bonkers for the last couple of years, but the last month or two it seems to have actually started slowing slightly.
Old 13-06-2022, 17:23   #4

Market is changing - FOMO is now sellers looking to cash out at premium price so price drops will lag. Dust will settle in 6-months or so.
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 18:34   #5

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

where are you located please ? makes quite a difference you know...

we have just done very well selling a boat in australia, and buying in french polynesia

market has (imho) just about peaked in australia. we sold for 50% more than we paid 4 years previously...

cheers,
Old 13-06-2022, 18:47   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Market is changing - FOMO is now sellers looking to cash out at premium price so price drops will lag. Dust will settle in 6-months or so.

US stock market has now dipped into bear territory. That plus inflation, gas, etc... the next year should be interesting. I wouldn't be buying a larger boat now, til we see how things go in the next half year.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 22:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
That plus inflation, gas, etc... the next year should be interesting. I wouldn't be buying a larger boat now, til we see how things go in the next half year.
tik-tok-tik-tok-tik-tok and clock ticking to date my,your everbody time of death.

time passing you don't have new boat and you die with hill of money on account. and somebody receive your money and celebrate this with big party.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2022, 22:27   #8

Fuel prices are through the roof. Boating will be dead this summer. Power boats will be given away for free in 1-2 years. Because Nobody can afford to fill them up.

I predict boating will go away for 10 years untill electric ones become feasable.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 06:18   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by more View Post
tik-tok-tik-tok-tik-tok and clock ticking to date my,your everbody time of death.

time passing you don't have new boat and you die with hill of money on account. and somebody receive your money and celebrate this with big party.
Well, of course time is more precious than money, and of course, if you want a big boat now and you can afford current prices, then you shouldn't hesitate.

But as always, the secret to happiness is not getting what you want, but being happy with what you have. You don't need a big newer boat to cruise; if prices have made that goal elusive, go cheap, go small, go now. And get your larger boat later, when the prices drop.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 06:25   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hot market?

Words of wisdom..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 06:27   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
Fuel prices are through the roof. Boating will be dead this summer. Power boats will be given away for free in 1-2 years. Because Nobody can afford to fill them up.

I predict boating will go away for 10 years untill electric ones become feasable.
A lot of that will really depend on power or sail. Were I am, the majority of boats are sail so fuel prices will likely have much less of an impact on actually going out.

Well aside from those small fishing boats and damned jetskis! But them going out less is safer for the rest of us!
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 06:29   #12

I just went into contract on a boat I consider fairly priced "today." In other words, probably what it was worth in 2019-20 pre-covid. Most listings still are asking and holding out for a covid premium, but I think that will change soon because a) the economy, b) covid buyers are quickly learning true costs, and c) prime selling/buying season in Northeast and Florida is ending and yet, from my unofficial observation, more boats have been hitting the market in the past couple of weeks.
Danm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 06:30   #13

Boat: Seaward 22

I'm 3.5 to 4 years out from buying. I think the market has peaked in the USA. We are about to see a steep drop. I'm already seeing the effects of fuel prices on the lake where I currently sail. Boat traffic is way down.
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 06:31   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danm1 View Post
I just went into contract on a boat I consider fairly priced "today." In other words, probably what it was worth in 2019-20 pre-covid. Most listings still are asking and holding out for a covid premium, but I think that will change soon because a) the economy, b) covid buyers are quickly learning true costs, and c) prime selling/buying season in Northeast and Florida is ending and yet, from my unofficial observation, more boats have been hitting the market in the past couple of weeks.
Don't forget: d) interest rates have had 3 rate increases already and the next predicted one is expect to be the biggest jump yet!

Interest rate changes are already having a cooling effect
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2022, 06:44   #15

Boat: J/88

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmm View Post
Don't forget: d) interest rates have had 3 rate increases already and the next predicted one is expect to be the biggest jump yet!

Interest rate changes are already having a cooling effect
Very accurate observation and it identifies a real causal effect. Many people, lulled into a sense of complacency by a steady interest rate world have maintained variable mortgages and each jump in rate raises their cost of living. Even if they aren't in line to buy a boat they are a part of the economy that becomes bearish.