Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2021, 15:13   #76

Re: Honest and knowledgeable opinions, keep current boat or change to older heavier?

I suppose we would have carried more fuel if we could. But not having a lot made us sail more. There was one 24 hour passage where we averaged one knot. The first 1,200 miles heading south from Long Beach California we ran the engine 30 hours. Even though I thought I was a good sailor, this just made me better
Cynara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2021, 15:33   #77

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Honest and knowledgeable opinions, keep current boat or change to older heavier?

If you look at the original diesel tankage of most to all well considered offshore cruising boats at the 42-50’ range it is around 300-400 liters (I have original 350 liters) - all for a reason. This is what the buyers are looking at. Solar panels, wind and hydro generators added a decent more electrical power over the last 15 or so years but so the increase in the typical consumption with more devices on board.

This should be more than enough for any serious offshore cruising sailor. Yes, you sometimes need better weather planning, patience and performance on maximizing the sails inventory, trimming etc. For us, the engine use, in most remote offshore passages, was to escape or better deal with very bad weather/seas situations, not to speed up whenever we couldn’t get over, say, 4kts under sails.

As such, we never ended a long passage with less than 1/3 tank
Old 08-01-2022, 20:03   #78

Boat: 1980 freedom 33 and 2005 hunter 41

I too have a h41, in yucatan peninsula, we use it to sail around many reef we have around. 4 or 5 days without civilization around. Nasty high winds in this part of the gulf. Long story short the more i use the more i love the boat.
I will not trade her for anyting older than she is (2005) she doest not have Ikea interiors, so I will not trade her for newer ikea boats. I use the front toilet for storage, i take off the sofa (yes a sofa on a boat) and now i have the most confortable berth under way. I will keep making mods to suit her my way. I was thinking too about selling her and having a heavier boat, but, after nasty weather i have been in i only want to have another jib roller on the front )solent rig) so i am going to keep modifying her. Do not buy a 120 volt watermaker because you will depend on your gen for making water ( my mistake now). and if you are only two of you space storage is still good. i hope to do many more miles off her. Older boats have a lot on myths on them, you can sail in a new modern boat the same or better way than in a older one of the same size. Speaking of size my h 41 is the biggest 40 foot i have seen around unless you go with 2020 new boats. Most of people who comments on the net have not sailed more than a weekend off, so do not go with the loving style of older boats!
captprogreso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 04:38   #79

Boat: Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
Seen a 1991 year 47 foot boat we like and looks to be ideal for us as in good condition and a "blue water" type vessel. Large fuel and water tanks, decent sails and rigging, semi skeg hung rudder, decent keel etc

We currently own a 2004 Hunter Legend 41AC that we have fitted solar, wind gen, etc but we are finding her a little small now as we could really do with a bunk room for storage etc

So, we are wanting to sail across the Atlantic (from here in the Canaries) this time next year and then have a few years in that sort of region.

Now, we could outfit the current boat with a hydrovane, watermaker, inner forestay etc and spend about 20K Euro doing that....but it will still only be 41ft and a light displacement boat.

Or, we could get this other boat, fit a hydrovane, watermaker, etc then sell the current boat and I calculate the cost to change to be about 70K euro/. This would give us a bigger, heavier, more tankage, boat (centre cockpit) but it would be 13 years older!

So, what do people think, as we are erring towards the bigger older boat as we could do with the extra space and just got this feeling that IF (that is IF) we were caught in really bad weather the current boat would not handle it as well as the older heavier boat.

DTD

I would not cross an ocean in a Hunter 41AC.

I would make the switch to the Northwind 47 before trying it.

The decision would have everything to do with build quality, rudder design, and seakeeping ability...and nothing to do with space.

I'm sure that some have...but ask yourself, is it better to be lucky or is it better to be good?
Cloroxbottle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 04:01   #80

Boat: Sun Odyssey 35

Hi David,

How did you end up?
I am currently looking at boats, and I am looking at the same boats as you did; NW 47, Bavaria Ocean 47...

I am based in Spain, so I have a couple of NW 47 nearby.

Thanks!
Ramon Carlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 04:03   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ramon.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 09:22   #82

Boat: Moody 47

Hi Ramon and we have ended up with a 2001 Moody 47 that we happened to be in the right position to purchase. she was a lot more than the Northwind 47s nut we had been after one for many years.

Regarding the Northwind 47, I did a lot of research and they are very good vessels and came in 2 models, the Mk1 and the Mk2. The Mk2 has the main engine under the cabin floor and some other improvements. As has been pointed out before, the Bavaria 47 Ocean is a very nice boat also but has a fin rudder unlike the Northwind 47 that has a semi skeg hung rudder. But..the Bavaria 47 Ocean is easier to access from the dock at the stern than the Northwind, so really only you can decide what is preferable.
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 09:40   #83

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Darn OP the boat sounds perfect for you. I have a few old bikes and a car. One bike is 69 years old. Anything that could rust or was rubber plastic Bakelite or copper long gone. It’s a toy to get speeding tickets in not long range cruise.
Comes to floating racing cruising homes the new 45’s have more room quicker in all winds easier handling than previous boats well over 50’. Hunter won awards for smart use of space. My boat has twin rudders handles very easy 7 years old and love the 440 Jeanneau. The 490 for another 75K base we just wouldn’t use.
The negative side is a used 440 is as much or more than a new one.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2022, 11:50   #84

Boat: Catalina 425

Your hunter will get you where you to go. Also there is a lot to be said about having a boat you know before setting out. No nasty surprises. Adding a fuel blater can ad fuel for longer trips.
Lucid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 07:57   #85

Boat: Sun Odyssey 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by davethedog View Post
Hi Ramon and we have ended up with a 2001 Moody 47 that we happened to be in the right position to purchase. she was a lot more than the Northwind 47s nut we had been after one for many years.

Regarding the Northwind 47, I did a lot of research and they are very good vessels and came in 2 models, the Mk1 and the Mk2. The Mk2 has the main engine under the cabin floor and some other improvements. As has been pointed out before, the Bavaria 47 Ocean is a very nice boat also but has a fin rudder unlike the Northwind 47 that has a semi skeg hung rudder. But..the Bavaria 47 Ocean is easier to access from the dock at the stern than the Northwind, so really only you can decide what is preferable.
Thank you Dave,

It seems that you did a deep diligence analysis, and came out buying a great boat.
Regarding NW47, did you get to see both versions?. Did you prefer anyone in particular? I will be looking soon at a MK2 boat.
There are no Bavaria Oceans in the market at the moment, they

Fair winds!
Ramon Carlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:09   #86

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I may be mistaken but I believe Hanse use of Vinylester spread to Moody by 2001 so great hull keel rudder
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 08:39   #87
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Honest and knowledgeable opinions, keep current boat or change to older heavier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Carlin View Post
Thank you Dave,

It seems that you did a deep diligence analysis, and came out buying a great boat.
Regarding NW47, did you get to see both versions?. Did you prefer anyone in particular? I will be looking soon at a MK2 boat.
There are no Bavaria Oceans in the market at the moment, they

Fair winds!
https://www.yachtworld.com/yacht/2000-bavaria-47-ocean-6563404/

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, current