Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Monohull Sailboats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2021, 10:10   #31

Boat: Beneteau
Re: Honest and knowledgeable opinions, keep current boat or change to older heavier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
p.s. The surveyor said I could use her for an icebreaker.
And you bought this? I would not repeat that around those of us that have spent some time in heavy ice.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:19   #32

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44
Re: Honest and knowledgeable opinions, keep current boat or change to older heavier?

Nortonscove,

The surveyor simply meant she is heavily built. 8^)
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 12:41   #33

Boat: 05 Hunter 44ds

IMO go with what you have and know.
Grandwagoneer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 13:08   #34

Boat: Custom Swedish Vindö 50 (35 ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandwagoneer0 View Post
I agree. Buying a new used boat for cruising, with all the potential (unknown) problems, seems more stressful than going with the boat you know and trust.
Copacabana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 13:12   #35
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfarmer View Post
Anything beats a Hunter... That's the YUGO of sailing boats... get the better made boat...
BUNK !

I've surveyed 144 Hunters (my files can't all show up in one screen shot) and I'm convinced you know nothing about them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hunter surveys.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	245.3 KB
ID:	249738  
Old 13-12-2021, 05:26   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Irwin 52

I loved my hunter on the fingerlakes, but once I got in rough seas in the ocean its flat bottom pounded, boat handled it but I didn't feel comfortable. Once I got a different hull shape that cuts into waves instead of pounding I would never go back to a boat that isn't seakindly. Its so much more comfortable and confidence inspiring.
jharding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2021, 21:27   #37

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III
Honest and knowledgeable opinions, keep current boat or change to older heavier?

So you have a boat you know and want to change it for a boat you don’t know. Plan on spending time to get to know the new boat and fixing it up.

In short you best be getting something other than a little better boat but a much better boat.
Old 14-12-2021, 08:19   #38

Boat: Moody 47

Yes, we like the boat we have BUT need more space (the bunk room we are missing) and also use this as an opportunity to get a more suitable boat for our circumnavigation skills.

Trouble is we do not have an unlimited budget and so are a bit limited to what we can get regarding age etc

DTD
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2021, 08:53   #39
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandwagoneer0 View Post
I agree with this statement BUT a lot depends on what you originally bought that boat for.

There have been any number of posts on this forum by people who originally bought boats for coastal cruising and, years later, now have a hankering to make a passage...I was one of them. In many cases their original purchase was appropriate for coastal cruising but the boat may not fit the bill for doing a ocean passage for any number of reasons.

A boat should be matched for the use and waters it will be traversing...you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. That doesn't mean that some poorly matched boats haven't made successful passages, they have but that doesn't make them good choices or fall into the category of good planning...I call them outliers.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2021, 06:57   #40

Boat: Moody 47

We bought the current boat and fitted her out for the Med really and she is a lovely boat and we know she could take us across the Atlantic fine but now we have been here in the Canaries we have met a lot of very experienced ocean sailors and circumnavigators. All have offered us a lot of very good advice and for what we have decided to do next, the current boat (although will manage) is not ideally suited.

What we have decided we need are:
Heavier construction.
Centre cockpit.
Larger fuel and water tanks.
Better and stronger keel (current boat is a shoal draft of 1.6m).
Longer waterline length.
Better sail plan (inner forestay as a minimum extra).
Wind steering (preferably version that doubles as a spare rudder).
Extra storage space.

And then add in of course water-maker, solar panels, generator ...the list goes on

So, we have been thinking long and hard and decided that we are willing to buy an older but more suitable boat and then sell the current one.

Thanks for all the advice as usual!

DTD
davethedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:13   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
And there you have the ever ongoing post about boats

The believers of only the old school heavy boats. Doesn't matter what users of the other boats or that they have now been out there over 20 years
Facts are facts. The newer boats are faster by design but have flatter bottoms. Offshore in seas mean more pounding. Speed? With the added waterline length probably close to the same. Heavy displacement older boats. Yes theoretically they are slower in light air. reality is once you get them going the momentum they create carries them forward. Another factor that hasn’t been discussed is how is the interior built. Better built interiors as in older boats (better materials attached in more places) means less creaking as the boats twist. Interiors built as part of the hull stiffen the boat as well. Newer boats depend more on hull design (pans are inserted to the inside of the hull).

So if you crossing the ocean once. Coastal cruising from the on it comes down to what do you like and feel more comfortable in. Sailed sensibly, both will get you across the ocean. If you aren’t great reading the weather I suggest a Weather Router. You can talk to them enroute via SSB or Sat Phone which can be rented for the crossing.

Good luck! Enjoy the ride!!!
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:29   #42

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

I also would not buy a Hunter. I looked a lots of them before I bought my Jeanneau. They all had Deck/hull joint leaks and other manufacturing issues. The hunter in the slip next to me nearly sank because they used brass fittings attached to thruhulls below the waterline. If I had not heard the bilge alarm it would have been on the bottom. The brass was gone and the boat was only a year old. NEVER Hunter.
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:39   #43
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMonstrEd View Post
I also would not buy a Hunter. I looked a lots of them before I bought my Jeanneau. They all had Deck/hull joint leaks and other manufacturing issues. The hunter in the slip next to me nearly sank because they used brass fittings attached to thruhulls below the waterline. If I had not heard the bilge alarm it would have been on the bottom. The brass was gone and the boat was only a year old. NEVER Hunter.
That is simply not true. I've surveyed hundreds of Hunters and never seen a brass throughull or seacock ... However I've never seen anything other than brass ball valves on a Beneteau, Hanse, Bavaria or Jeanneau... they don't even use proper flanged seacocks !
They even use NPT to NPS threads ! https://pbase.com/mainecruising/seacock_primer&page=2
Old 17-12-2021, 07:51   #44

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

So I guess Boatpoker was there with me on all those boats and on the boat next to me while it was sinking and I was closing the seacocks to keep the boat from sinking. BTW I did not say the seacock was brass. It was the fitting after the seacock that failed. I don't know if the seacock was brass or bronze I did not look at it.
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2021, 07:56   #45
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMonstrEd View Post
So I guess Boatpoker was there with me on all those boats and on the boat next to me while it was sinking and I was closing the seacocks to keep the boat from sinking. BTW I did not say the seacock was brass. It was the fitting after the seacock that failed. I don't know if the seacock was brass or bronze I did not look at it.
So you trash hunter because some idiot owner added a brass fitting !

Tags
boat, current